“One of the best places to eat in Cork”

Farmgate Restaurant
Ranked #36 of 668 Restaurants in Cork
Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Centre
Reviewed December 7, 2013

I've been to Farmgate Restaurant twice and I had two of the best meals since I've been living in Cork. Ingredients are top quality, staff is nice and warm and even if the place was really crowded we had a quiet and lovely meal.
Try the savoury pie with mushrooms and blue cheese, it's a daily special but I find it on the specials board both of the times. Oh, if you want to try something different for dessert I suggest "bicerin", an Italian treat with coffee, chocolate and cream.

Reviewed November 30, 2013

Well, first thing, for visitors to Cork, is that this establishment has a Cafe but also a daytime restaurant, which is at the opposite side of the balcony to the cafe and can be missed. So we decided on the restaurant rather than the cafe, which was very busy. I might queue for a good meal but not for quiche and a coffee...life is too short :-) We all had chowder to start which came in shallow bowls and was fine, albeit not too much and could have been hotter. Also no brown bread was offered, which was disappointing, but staff were busy so we let that go. General consensus was that chowder is best experienced in more generous portions, in deep, comforting bowls to keep things hot! 3 Mains were better value at about 13 euro each, lamb shank with roasted veg and mash, chicken breast with lemon and thyme and a herb stuffing and a lamb stew. All were excellent and tasty with a good variety of potato and veg. Just right on a cold November Saturday. Service was good and the manageress that my brother fancied was friendly and efficient. Looking forward to coming back for our next visit.

1  Thank Early-Bird-Ireland
Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

I visited the farmgate while strolling through the English Market. The food was excellent (chowder and a shepherd pie) but is a little on the expensive side. It was very busy with a great buzz from the market below. I will go back.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

We'd read so much about The English Market and the Farmgate Cafe upstairs that we just had to try it. It is a real experience, for sure! It is a balcony reataurant that overlooks the bustling market below and is extrememly popular (translate:crowded). After standing in line to order and then paying for our food, we were ushered to a table we would be sharing with a woman, who said it would be "lovely" to have us sit there. However, she seemed very shy and did not make eye contact with us throughout the time we were there. Our soup arrived and, as usual, was delcious (every bowl of soup we had in Ireland was great, except the one at the Dublin Airport which was very watered down.) Our chicken sandwich served with cole slaw was perfectly fine. At the next table sat a young mom with her little boy who was set on pouring milk on his carrot cake, so the mom told him the man at the next table needed the milk. It worked! Brilliant! Glad we went to this place, but probably wouldn't be a frequent visitor.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

Food quality is good. Overlooking the buzz of a market so its setting is great.
I am born & bred in Cork and love the fact that this type of service is available but I won't be going back. You can't excuse unfriendly service & over priced food.The Market as a whole runs a fine line of being pretentious with too many unwholesome smiles from the cool dudes that work in the market because its cool, hip & alternative with the last 10 years.
Thankfully the market is just about balanced with the genuine traders who pride themselves on good product, good service with real smiles. I've been to the Farmgate Cafe numerous times and to summarise its too focused on profit. Not enough customer car. The staff portray this & its just not a pleasant experience handing money to a place like this. More than adequate alternatives are Gallery Cafe (back of crawford art gallery) for meals & soups. There is an excellent sandwich/soup/pasta place ground floor of market close to the fish stalls.
And for your tea or coffee, there is a small little place right at the stairs up to the Farmggate Cafe. So don't be fueling this monster, stay on the ground floor. You'll feel better walking away!