“Most fun!!!”

Cuisines: Pizza, Bar, Pub, Brew Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Sunday's Well
Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

An employee at the Guiness Stotehouse (in Dublin) recommended we visit the Franscian Well. We were very happy we took the advice! The staff is wonderful.... very nice as well as knowledgable.

I got the cider on tap. My husband sampled every beer brefore making his selection. We were both so delighted with our drinks that we came back the next day for another.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

One of best the pizzas in Cork on Thursdays!!
Baked on a wood oven for only 10 euros a large pizza and 1 euro for each extra topping.
And the beer is great too!!!! :)

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Large seletion of beer, and very helpful staff to help you pick the right one for you. Interesting place with loads of games being played inside. Well worth a visit.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Visited the Fran for a night out with friends and found it to be great craic. The range of different beers available was fantastic and by the end of the night we were all in great sprits. Will be returning for another night soon.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

It is important to support Craft Brewers where ever you go. In Ireland this is difficult as they are few and far between with the multi-nationals having a stranglehold on the market and closing the former local brewers in the name of profit. Cork used to be the home of Beamish & Crawford Brewery, established in 1792, but the wonderful people at Heineken closed the brewery a few years ago. This made it all the more important to me to seek out the Franciscan Well Brewery on the North Mall. I was in Cork for just a day and had just completed the “red” walking tour, which is on the same side of the river as North Mall so off I went in search of real beer. Sadly when I got there I was greeted by a sign that said the pub didn’t open until 3:00pm. It was only about 1:30, so amused myself with more walking and then headed back.

The Franciscan Well Brewery was founded in 1998 and is built on the site of an old Franciscan Monastery and Well, dating back to the year 1219. Legend has it that the water from the well has miraculous and curative properties and people would come from afar to drink from it. I don’t know about curative properties but the beer they brew is very good.

I had a sampler flight, six of the beers that they currently have available.
Blarney Blonde: A light coloured ale that is easy to drink. White foamy head that lasts a while, good lacing on the glass.
Rebel Red: A lively “Irish Red” that might be what Smithwicks tasted like before Diageo brewed the taste out. Interestingly the head disappeared in minutes (in the time it took me to drink the Blonde) and there was no lacing on the glass.
Rebel Lager: A very pale straw coloured lager with no “nose” at all. Nicely quaffable and reminded me of the Elora Grand Lager available at home, but the barman said this one isn’t dry-hopped. Still has a good hop taste and could never be confused with something tasteless like Budweiser.
Friar Weiss: An unfiltered German style wheat beer. I don’t like wheat beer! Being unfiltered it was cloudy but at least had no floaties like some unfiltered beers have. They tell me this is their most popular brew in the summer. Wouldn’t be my choice.
Shandon Stout: They claim this is a Cork style stout, but sure didn’t taste anything like the Beamish or Murphy stouts currently being marketed by Heineken as Cork stouts. Maybe this is what Beamish tasted like before Carling-O’Keefe bought them in the sixties. Nice smoky taste that finishes with a good hop bite. Almost has a maple taste and reminded me of St Ambroise Oatmeal Stout back home.
Purgatory Pale Ale: As good as the stout was, they definitely saved the best until last. Cascade hops are definitely front and centre in this American style pale ale. If I lived in Cork this would be my regular beer.

My daughter who is going to school in Limerick where there are no craft beers asked if I could bring some to her. Sadly they don’t have an off-licence and are bottling only very limited quantities.

If you like beer with taste and character I definitely recommend a visit to this brewery.