“Nice out of town hotel”

Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Cork
Ranked #15 of 23 Hotels in Cork
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed in one of the Business Class rooms which was very nice and clean with bathrobes and slippers. We tried the room service which was very prompt and good food. My only criticisms are that when trying to call room service on a Sat evening there was no answer and I basically kept getting put through to reception as there was no one to answer the phone in guest services. The hotels major let down is the gym. The room is very poor but aside from that the machines are very old and in major need of renovating. The girl on the leisure centre reception informed us that we needed to pay €2 for swimming caps and that they don't have any complimentary for guests which was a bit of a pain and the two young guys that were 'working' in the gym were totally useless.

All in all its a lovely hotel but the issues in the Leisure centre seriously need to be addressed.

Room Tip: If you're staying on the weekend as for a room away from wedding guests.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Oddsoxrocks
Amy Q, Sales & Marketing Co-ordinator at Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Cork, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your recent review of the Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Cork. I am glad to read that you found us to be a nice out of town hotel and that you enjoyed your bedroom and also room service.

I am disappointed with your comments regarding our Retreat Fitness Centre, our machines are all state of the art Precor equipment which are maintained and serviced regurally to a high standard. Guests are welcome to bring their own swimming caps and these can be reused and taken away, they are a necessity to maintain hygene in our hydrotherapy pool. I am unsure what you mean regarding your comments about our staff in the gym as you do not discuss this further. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We have business interests in Cork and visit two or three times a year. We always book in for a couple of extra days in addition to the the work aspect and enjoy a short holiday.

We've tried several city hotels and found they varied from the impersonal with hopeless car parking arrangements to shoddy with poor dining with the exception of the KIngsley which, unfortunately, was ruined by flooding from the adjacent river a couple of years ago.

The Radisson Blu is our favourite. It's out of town in a quiet estate but convenient for major road and rail connections.
The rooms are very comfortable, the housekeeping is first class. It's always worth upgrading if there are any free Business Class rooms available.
The staff are friendly but unobtrusive and efficient.

The bar is well manned and has a good selection of drinks.
Room Service is prompt and delivers quality food if this is what you like after a busy day.
Restaurant: excellent but especially the breakfasts. I've never found such a range of choices and all very well cooked and/or presented.

In recent years we have taken our small grand children and the hotel is very child friendly. They loved the swimming pool, played in the spacious grounds and put the revolving doors through their paces!

Whenever we mention the Radisson to them they always remember Pierre who looked after them so kindly in the restaurant at breakfast times.

Room Tip: Business Class rooms are very big with extra large double beds and plenty of natural daylight. Howev...

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your 5 Star Review of the Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Cork on Tripadvisor I am delighted to read that you are a return visitor to the hotel and that we are your favourite hotel!

Many thanks for your lovely comments regarding our location, staff and food. I am glad that you and your grandchildren made use of our hydrotherapy pool, I will also be sure to pass on your lovely comments to Pierre, he is a great asset to us. Once again many thanks for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Location good if visiting cobh heritage centre. Good family hotel rooms clean and comfortable. Food was good we ate in the grillroom. Spa was busy would recommend booking before arrival. Staff courteous and friendly. Train service to city centre every half hour. It's a longer walk than expected accross a road bridge.@

• Stayed: November 2012
Amy Q, Sales & Marketing Co-ordinator at Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Cork, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to write your review of the Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Cork on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to read that you found us a nice place for a weekend break, conveinently located for Cobh and other sites.

It is great you found our family rooms clean and comfortable, they are very popular with families, and you enjoyed your meal in our Island Grillroom Restaurant. Great tip on booking the Retreat Spa in advance, we would always recommend our guests to book treatments in the Retreat Spa when they are booking their stay here with us as appointments fill up very quickly.

Once again many thanks for taking the time to write your review of the Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Cork and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the hotel again in the near future.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

I have stayed here twice since September, both times for business. The hotel hosted a major conference event for a group I am part of. They really did go above and beyond all expectations. The staff are lovely and polite and nothing is too much trouble for them. The meeting rooms and function areas are large, airy and well decorated. I stayed in room 101 on my last visit - one of the suites. It was truly lovely. A personalised welcome message and complimentary cupcake awaited me. Feather duvets and pillows as well as a Nespresso machine. I would make only two small comments about the room. It needed more plugs as I had three devices to charge. It also needed a proper dressing table with a chair and mirror. Having said that, these are only tiny points. Overall, the hotel had a lovely ambience, fantastic food and a pleasantly efficient staff. Even though I was on business, I would recommend this hotel for family, couples or business people. The only part of the hotel I didn't use was the leisure centre,however, several of my colleagues raved about it. I am impressed enough to seriously consider this hotel as the venue for my upcoming wedding!

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Amy Q, Sales & Marketing Co-ordinator at Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Cork, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your Five Star review of the Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Cork. I am delighted to read that you had a fantastic stay here with us recently, I am delighted you found our staff polite and friendly and willing to go above and beyond expectations.

I am glad you enjoyed your suite, and we certainly appreciate constructive criticism regarding plugs and the dressing table with chair, we can only improve on these areas for the future. I am glad that you found the hotel had a lovely atmosphere, fantastic food and plesantly efficient staff. It is great to read that you would recomend us and I am delighted you are considering us as a venue for your upcoming wedding. Once again many thanks for your 5 star review and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Cork again in the near future.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

This is not going to be a a negative review just honest, Ireland has a lot of realy good quality hotels which to be honest are better than the Radisson, mostly independent hotels which is mayby the problem, the hotel is just so sterile, it has absolutely no atmosphere.

Threre really is nothing to complain aout the rooms are nice and the food was fine I actually eat in the bar the second night which was great, as there was some sort of atmosphere. The WIFI is free but to be honest quite poor, fine for e-mails ect, but if you want to watch youtube or listen to the radio forget it.

Now to my favourite pet hate, Swim Hats, WHY!!!!!!! As a big tripadvisor fan I always read reviews before I visit, so I keep reading the responses from managment on this hotel about the hydro pool, so I thought "i'm trying this" but i never because 1:you have to wear a swim hat. 2: more importantly you have to pay to get one. If the managment can give me one good reason that you have to wear a swim hat and have to pay for it I will certainly listen. Whats the point in promoting a pool when you make it prohibitive to enter?

This is the first time i've stayed in the Raddison at cork and I think it may be the last, not bad but there is definetly better in cork.

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your recent review of the Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Cork on Tripadvisor. I am glad that you liked our bedrooms at the hotel and also enjoyed meals in our Banks Bar. We offer complimentary high speed Wi-Fi throughout the hotel. I am disappointed that you found the hotel sterile, most of our guests like the mix of old world charm with modern conveniences.

Just regarding your comments on swimming caps, we insist on all persons making use of our hydrotherapy pool to wear swimming hats for hygiene reasons, as I am sure you can understand. This is clearly displayed in the Retreat Spa & Fitness Centre. Guests are welcome to bring their own swimming caps with them and we also sell them at the pool reception in the event that someone doesn't have one. If you would like to discuss this further please do not hesitate to contact me on 021 4297050.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

I booked the hotel partially swayed by the pictures of the nice grounds and the implication of "spa". While the hotel was nice enough, with a good restaurant and friendly pub, the location was less than "nice". Situated next to a light industrial area, there were no views to speak of, or any way to access a residential/retail area by foot.

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your recent review of the Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Cork. I am glad you enjoyed your meals in our Island Grillroom Restaurant and that you found our Banks Bar friendly.

I am disappointed that our location didn't match your expectations. The hotel is set on 9 acres comprising of mature gardens & a beautiful croquet lawn and is located at the edge of a business park, a short walk from the local train station to the city centre, convenience shops etc. Business travellers find our location convenient while families and couples enjoy the hotel as we are a short drive from sights such as Cobh, Fota Wildlife Park and Cork City Centre.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Cork again in the near future.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Went here for a facial yesterday What an experience A beautiful setting for a hotel in the middle of a retail park but with beautiful gardens leading into a well laid out hotel Very welcoming staff at reception The spa itself was only FAB!!!! Again the staff at reception were very welcoming and informative and we didn't have to ask any questions as we were told everything we needed to know The facilities in the pool were great and we spent over an hour doing the rounds of the various jets and the steam room and sauna Then we were brought to the relaxing room before our facials This might be my only quib as the water for the herbal tea was stone cold but other than this everything else was as it should be We were then brought to the treatment rooms for our facials and again this was heavenly Even though I hadn't been cold the beds were warm and it was just unexpected I enjoyed it so much The girl that did the facial was so warm and professional and my skin looked fabulous afterwards We then went back to the relaxing room where we were served fruit kebabs with juice and banana smoothies which were gorgeous I totally enjoyed my day out and now have the Spa on speed dial on my phone I'm gonna try the EXOTIC LIME AND GINGER SALT GLOW treatment next

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Amy Q, Sales & Marketing Co-ordinator at Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Cork, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your recent 5 Star Review of the Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Cork. I am absolutely delighted to read that you enjpyed your experience in our Retreat Spa so much. I am very pleased that you think the location is great with beautiful gardens, we are set on 9 acres here at the hotel.

I am very pleased with your comments regarding our staff being helpful and informative and it is great to see that you made use of our hydrotherapy treatment pool and also relaxation room before and after your treatment. Once again many thanks for taking the time to write your review of the Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Cork and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future, this time for an Exotic Lime & Ginger Salt Glow.