CIT Blackrock Castle Observatory

from $44.90
from $68.00
from $20.70
More Info
All reviews interactive exhibits solar system all ages tour guide was very informative few hours beautiful building cork harbour nice walk science astronomy planets dungeon telescope cosmos exhibition tower information
Reviewed today

Here for the first, near my guest house, I visit this old and ancient castel. The structure is huge and massive!

Reviewed October 10, 2018

Easy to find with parking outside and a good price. Most informative about the history and use of Blackrock Castle up to the present day as an observatory. The tour guide was very clearly spoken even for my deaf husband, however did just talk for a long time with little or no props in an enclosed area, but informative !!!! The observatory in a blown up dome was very good and the guide showed a lot of knowledge..
The view from the top, of the mouth of the river, was excellent, luckily it was a clear dry day and worth the 100 steps up !!!

Reviewed October 2, 2018 via mobile

It was OK, bit overcrowded, service was good and dessert was good. Just a bit cramped for my liking.

Reviewed September 18, 2018 via mobile

Great spot to view the river and Cork Harbour and an easy drive through the historic Blackrock area of Cork. Good size car park although it does get busy, short walk from there to Castle entrance and it's courtyard. Decent cafe here with outside seating - there was a queue for the observatory and we were heading for the airport so we had to skip this and content ourselves with a coffee. Earmarked for a return visit...

Reviewed September 7, 2018 via mobile

I'd seen this place advertised on Cork tourism sites and thought it sounded worth a visit. However, it fell far short of expectations. There wasn't really much of anything to see inside and hardly anything was working - not very good considering it's a working observatory and their main function is science and technology!

There were lots of us queued up for the planetarium (I think everyone was desperate for something to do to justify the admission price!) but there were too many of us to fit in so we were told that another member of staff was about to start a tour of the castle. We waited for this for quite a while before my partner went to find someone only to be told they knew nothing about it! A quick tour was given to us but we left soon after that.

A plus point was the great restaurant situated next door!

3  Thank Emma W
Reviewed August 29, 2018

The view from the top of the castle is wonderfull, I recommend going for the view of the sunset. For being away, going by car is the best option

Reviewed August 27, 2018 via mobile

We went here last week with our 3 and a half year old and she really enjoyed it! Its a small tour but plenty of information and short videos which our daughter gladly sat down and enjoyed!

She really enjoyed the interactive "send a message to space" that they have there and the planet show. We went for a walk along the marina afterwards and had a lovely day. Spent about 2.5 to 3 hours between the tour and walk! Staff were really nice and energetic! Kids under 5 are free.

Reviewed August 27, 2018

The observatory has a small but interesting exhibition on astronomy and relevant celestial topics. The inflatable planetarium is compact but does the job for small groups. The audio-visual displays are interesting and there is some interactive elements to keep the childrens' attention. The setting is excellent, with a pleasant riverside walk nearby.

Reviewed August 24, 2018 via mobile

This is not a castle tour what so ever. I’m sure if I read the reviews I would have known that, but alas. I went early enough that it was just me and a few other people going through the tour. It’s a science tour inside the castle and had some great kid friendly exhibits. I felt I was just a bit to old to enjoy most of it.

Reviewed August 16, 2018

Situated at the end of the very pleasant Marina walk this makes a nice destination on foot on a fine day. Car parking also available.
Interesting history. Admission is reasonable and there is a good cafe and the observatory on site.