“Lovely place away from home”

College View Apartments
Ranked #36 of 58 Cork B&B and Inns
Indonesia
“Lovely place away from home”
Reviewed August 30, 2010

Visiting a city for the first time can be quite an anxious experience, especially when we have to participate & perform in a festival. But the minute we arrived in CollegeView, all the worries disappeared because of its location, proximity and convenience to all facilities.

We opted for the 2 bedroom (1Queen & 1 single) and was set up nicely, with the single bed downstairs. We requested for a ground floor unit and was provided one. This was really nice, because we can sit around outside, like our own veranda.

Laundry was a bit expensive compared to a laundro-mat about 300m from the apartment. Being a self-catering apartment, food can still be ordered from the bed&breakfast place next door. We managed to do some grocery shopping in English Market at the town centre, to complete our food supplies.

Getting to the city central is within walking distance and very convenient. If you don't feel like walking, catching a cab or bus is also convenient.

The kitchen appliances were more than we would have expected. The bathroom upstairs was a bit cramped, but otherwise squeaky clean. Towels were changed on daily basis. Bed linen was changed every other day. WiFi was free and of high speed.

Overall, the place is recommended and who knows, we might comeback again - some day...

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Si_Janti

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Polish first
Dublin
Reviewed February 6, 2010

Myself and my boyfriend stayed here for three nights during the week. We have been to cork a number of times but wanted to try the self catering experience instead of the booking a hotel. Because the price was excellent, (237euro) we had expected an apartment with the bare essentials but we couldn't have been more surprised! The apartment was on the second floor so up a few stairs, which was a little tough with luggage! It was the perfect size for two people, with a fully fitted kitchen, sitting room and bedroom. The weather could have been better but having such a comfortable apartment made up for the rainny days. The welcome was extremely friendly which always sets up for a great holiday. The only downside was that the bed covers were a little dirty and the people in the upstairs apartment were a little noisy. We would definately stay here again.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank elles25
England
Reviewed August 29, 2009

I stayed in these apartments for 1 week after making an email reservation with the landlord. When I arrived I had some problems with the accomodation and the landlord went out of her way to sort the problem straight away! Service was excellent, high cleanliness standards and friendly atmosphere and staff. Good location for privacy but also has a reception nearby 24 hours for assistance. I will be returning again!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
belfast
Reviewed July 29, 2009

Hi just had to write about are stay in the College View Apartments Western Rd. Cork City my wife and I spent a few days in one of these apartments, First of all when we arrived we were met by a lovely lady called Margaret, who made us feel very welcome which is a must after traveling for 5 hours, and our first visit to Cork since we were children.
The apartment was spotlessly clean and had all the amenities we required for our stay, fresh clean towels were supplied each morning. You could take a 20 min walk straight to the city center, which we did once but to be honest we used the bus service for the rest of our stay, the bust stops for return journeys into town were located just outside the apartments which was very handy, Just to make our stay even more memorable our hostess Margaret gave us the most beautiful home made scones and fruit loaf for our breakfast on our departure. We highly recommend these apartments.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Flint,Michigan
Reviewed August 26, 2008

I stayed 3 nights in a single apartment. Which included stove, microwave, pots and pans, etc. Too bad I'm from the USA and couldn't figure out how to use anything but the microwave. I spent 2 days with no heat and no hot water in the kitchen or bathroom sink. My apartment was on the 5th floor and mind you there is no elevator so no one wanted to show me how to turn on anything. They kept trying to tell me how to turn on the switches but in the USA when they take you into your room they turn on everything for you or show you how to do it. Now that I'm through with the negative stuff I have to say I loved my little apartment. The decor was great. There was a sky light by the bed and in the bath. The breakfasts that they offered me were excellent. I would recommend College View to anyone in need of a nice place to return to after a day of sightseeing and shopping and after a few too many at the pubs in town.

• Liked — The decor and location
  • Disliked — Stairs
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed April 19, 2008

I had a lovely stay at the College View Apartments. These are new-ish self-catering flats that are owned by the same people who run the Killarney Guest House (I think). I had a spacious 1-bedroom flat for 75E/night. There was a fully-equipped kitchen with microwave, dishwasher, cooking range/hob, fridge, plates, cutlery, etc. The open-plan kitchen/dining/living room area was bright and airy. The ensuite bathroom was a little cramped, but that is too be expected. Access to the Internet included; the wireless was dodgy, so I just used the cable that was provided.

The location of the apartments is fantastic, across the road and a three-minute-walk from the main gates of the University College Cork. Being on Western Road can be a bit noisy what with the traffic and drunken students, but the bedroom was facing north, away from the road. A quick walk to the city centre.

No lift (or none that was immediately obvious to me), so you'll need to be able to handle your own luggage up and down the stairs. The apartment could have used some kind of laundry drying rack, since it is likely that many people who stay here do so for slightly longer periods of time and might have some things they'd like to wash by hand and line-dry. The people who run the Killarney Guest House seem a little confused but nice enough (see reviews under Killarney Guest House), and the issues with credit card payment appear to have been resolved. I was able to pay with a credit card with no problem.

• Liked — Location, spaciousness and light of apartment.
  • Disliked — A little noisy.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank bnedr