“We were asked out”
Review of Harveys - CLOSED

Harveys
Cuisines: International
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Centre
Description: Smart, stylish restaurant with food & wine to match. Modern eclectic menu, using organic, local & artisan produce where possible.Open for Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner.
Reviewed December 28, 2012

On 26th December we went with some friends for a coffee. The place is called cafe and bistro therefore we went in. We asked for a coffee and we were told that they served coffee only with meal. The staff was really unhappy to be there and we saw it in the way we were treated.
Restaurant was half empty. I asked a manager why can't they serve the coffee only and I was told it is a policy.

Terrible attitude from the staff and manager who at the end laughed at us.

7  Thank Rafael G

Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

Ate here recently with my fiancée & 2 of our friends. We ordered a pasta dish, scampi & goats cheese crostini for 2. First off 2 portions of chips & the pasta dish came out and the food kept coming in drips and drabs until about 8/9 minutes after the first dish arrived everyone had their food.

As everyone knows this is a big no no when eating out, why the kitchen couldn't get the timing right as to get all dishes out at the same time is beyond me especially as it wasn't very busy at the time. When the food did come out it was fine but nothing spectacular.

In the end when requesting the bill we had to ask for it twice as the first time round we just sat there for 5 minutes with nothing happening except our waiter continuing to pour water at tables. It's not a major issue but its all the small things that sum up my opinion that there's other places in the city that are better to dine at and I can't see myself eating here again.

3  Thank PEJACorkcity
Reviewed December 25, 2012

During our stay in Ireland this was our favorite dining place. We were greeted warmly, the service was great, the food was delicious! The house wine was really good too! On my way in I noticed the TripAdvisor symbol rating this restaurant with a high rating, in my opinion Harvey's deserves this rating!

Reviewed December 20, 2012

just wanted to leave this review as Harvey's is one of the best restaurants in Cork. However, as it is on French Church Street, a street full of restaurants, I feel it is often overlooked by people and other restaurants on the street win out.I believe there may be a couple of reasons for this. I'm all about the food so I go back there all the time.BUT even though I go there all the time, sometimes even on a number of days consecutively, the owner, who is always there and the staff do not show any warmth or friendliness. It's as if they've never seen you before, which in my mind would insult a lot of people and is no way to build customer relations. A smile and nod of recognition goes along way especially in Cork, where restaurants like Scoozi's, Greenes etc pride themselves on good manners and a more personal, friendly approach.Staff in Harvey's have never thanked me for tips and are very stand off-ish.As I said, the food is fantastic but I do feel and know first hand that some people are put off for the above stated reasons all of which I feel could be easily addressed and corrected.

1  Thank mollycaterpillar_21
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Awful experience this weekend at this Restaurant......We went there as it was recommended by a friend of us during the week. We were 2 adults and 2 small children. First, we noticed that they have an sign on the door saying ' no buggy inside' but we entered as we had a small buggy and it could be foilded. Once passed the door, the unfriendly waitress shouted at us 'no, no buggy inside, out'. My husband asked if children were welcome...no answer....we said that the buggy could be foilded and if it was okay to stay then, the waitress looked at the man behind the counter, he agreed. We sat, the waitress came twice and seemed so annoyed with our children, she didn't smile, didn't acknowledge them at all......when we ordered, my daughter asked for a sandwich with ham and cheese, the waitress said in a very cold way 'we don't do this here' and repeated 'what can I get you?' twice..... they didn't offer any children menu, all food was more for adult taste..... They didn't care about my children at all.

Then we asked for a bowl of hot water to heat up the baby food, she brought a small pot of tea for one that didn't fit the jar and we had to ask for a bowl and we were given a small bowl, my son ate a cold jar.....we ordered 2 omelettes (awful and so small), it says on the menu the omelette comes with potatoes ham and cheese and spring onions......our ones had no potatoes on it...... my daughter hated it and I understand why.....and didn't have anything to eat....it didn't bother the waitress.....We asked for the bill that was thrown to us without any 'Thank you' and we left....the people next to us were very upset as well as they were parents but they didn't have their children with them.....we had to leave being overlooked by the 2 waitresses chatting to each other......and we went to McDonalds to feed my poor 4 years old daughter....Mcdo where it was way better and more friendly. I won't recommend this restaurant if you have children and to be honest, food was disgusting... Awfull experience and won't be back again....

5  Thank AmyRdz
Harveys20, Owner at Harveys, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2012

Matilda told such Dreadful Lies,