“absolutely the best” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 25 Blarney B&B and Inns
Melville, New York
“absolutely the best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

My wife & I along with my 2 cousins and their wives stayed there on our first night in Ireland and it was better than advertised. The grounds are beautiful, the rooms are great and our hosts Olwyen and Doug couldn't have been more gracious. They were very helpful with directions and suggestions on where to eat. i can't say enough other than they made our trip to Ireland memorable and we will surely go back again

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Bob C

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Pembroke, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

My daughter & her boyfriend and my husband & I stayed at the Maranatha Country House on one of our 8 nights in Ireland. Owlen was a fabulous hostess and I was overwhelmed by the history surrounding this lovely country home. The decor is Victorian and 'over-the-top' is what one should expect in this type of setting. We all thought it was fabulous! It was like stepping back in time. The home is filled with wonderful antiques and the rooms are extremely spacious and decorated in true Victorian fashion. Owlen and her husband, Douglas were very friendly and made us feel very welcome. I would definitely recommend this B&B to anyone. It was one of our favourite places!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ontariosunseeker1
Narragansett, Rhode Island, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

My wife and I stayed here on our honeymoon. The Maranatha Country House is a very nice place to stay. Owlen was a very friendly host. The house is decorated with a Victorian touch. Set on top of a hill, the house is down the street from the blarney castle. Making access super easy. I would recommend the Maranatha to anyone, and if we return to Ireland Owlen and the Maranatha house will be a must visit.
A helpful tip for finding the Maranatha house is to look at the map I've posted. Look for the Maranatha b&b sign pic i've also posted. If all else fails it is 750 meters east of the Tower Service Station (Gas Station). On 617 st anns hill rd

Room Tip: We stayed in the top hat room very cozy and large
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mike R
Proctor, Montana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

It was so romantically perfect, every Victorian room was more beautiful than the next. The website could not possibly describe the atmosphere that you encounter, from the welcome to the antiques, to the rooms and grounds. Our room was originally the Rose room which was already beyond what i wanted but when the hostess found out it was my birthday, She upgraded us to the Regal suite which was encredible. Regal doesn't even begin to describe it. from the bed to the fireplace to the hot tub with my own water heater. The Regal suite was made for a queen and i got it. The Victorian House and grounds with the music in the background were right out of a fairytale. rolling lawns, beautiful extensive gardens. The Maranatha country house was the most beautiful, you can ever imagine. Thank you for the most incredible experience Olwen! you were the perfect hostess thank you Craig and Leinel larke proctor, montana

Room Tip: Every room is fabulous, But the Regal Suite A Victorian Fantasy come true.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank GrandmaLeinel
Clearwater, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

Our GPS sent us "off road" as we were trying to find this B&B. Luckily we drove to Blarney Castle to seek directions and a very kind taxi driver showed us the way. As others have mentioned, the decor is rather over-the-top. However, our room was very spacious with two king-size beds. It was very quiet and provided a good night's sleep. Breakfast was generous and tasty. Olwen is an attentive hostess and made sure we had everything we needed.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Marian H
Cookeville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

My father and I stayed at Maranatha House one night on our trip around Ireland. The lady that was running it was very nice and attentive to our needs. The house is decorated in a very particular style that may not be some people's cup of tea, but you can tell the owners put a lot of effort into making it look the way it does. The owners help us out and pointed out area attractions and resturants we might enjoy. We actually ended up at a place she recommended that was probably our favorite meal of the whole 10 day trip! The breakfast room was was walls of big windows that let in a ton of morning light, great place to sit and enjoy and nice breakfast. We had a pleasant experience at Maranatha House and would recommend it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank April S
Los Angeles
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

This is one of the more difficult reviews I have written. This is a country manor on the edge of Blarney. A bit hard to find. Even my GPS was of no use but one can drive to Blarney and call for directions. Plenty of parking. The manor house is rather impressive from the outside. The grounds are well landscaped, large and equally impressive. We even saw a beautiful red fox.

The hosts are warm and welcoming and certainly take pride in the B&B and interest in the guests.

The room... well... this is where it gets a bit difficult. I suppose that with such a historic looking manor I expected a traditional and antique interior. And it was... kind of... The owners are certainly risk takers and decorated with great imagination. Clearly what they created was a lot of work to produce and also maintain. But taste is something not necessarily universally shared. We stayed in the "Top Hat Room". One of several theme based rooms (not certain, but I believe they are entertainment industry based themes). The top hat room was apparently modeled after a scene from a movie with Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire. Hard to describe but I will try. Large room with a round bed. Lots of lace and translucent drapperies. Coat stand with a top hat. Lots of artificial flowers. And a very large black and white photo of the two actors dancing. This was not something I wanted to wake up to each morning especially in Ireland. The bathroom was clean with Victorian style plumbing. The large bathroom window was not adequated covered and faced the parking area. To compound this the second night there was a very strong smell of paint thinner so apparently the hosts were decorating yet another part of the house (the positive is that the smell covered up the moldy plaster smell we had experienced the night before).

Downstairs there was an eclectic look of antiques, dolls and other items. Very cluttered. The dining area was in a Victorian-like glassed room facing the garden. That would have actually been very nice but there was so much decoration in the room (artificial plants/flowers, lace, etc...) that it detracted from the feel.

On the positive, it is located just a couple of minutes drive from Blarney. It is a quite location. And we did not get sick from the food or experience a live reinactment of an Alfred Hitchcock movie.

Other reviewers have noted their anger over religious materials distributed by the owner. Perhaps they got the message. On my way out she discretly placed both a business card as well as a pamphlet she described as "optional information". And that was all. I looked over the pamphlet and, while religious, the domination was a mystery to me.

I really feel bad about giving this negative review because I do believe the owners put their heart and soul into the decorations but they took a risk with their taste and the taste is not shared by all.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank DrMitch
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blarney
Centre
#4 of 23 in Cork
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,032 reviews
Blarney Castle Hotel
#1 of 7 in Blarney

Been to Maranatha Country House? Share your experiences!