“Blarney Castle”

Blarney Castle Day Tour from Dublin including Blarney Stone
Ranked #1 of 9 things to do in Blarney
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Situated 8km from Cork City, this historic castle is most famous for its stone, which has the traditional power of conferring eloquence on all who kiss it. The word Blarney was introduced into the English language by Queen Elizabeth I and is described as pleasant talk, intended to deceive without offedning. The stone is set in the wall below the battlements, and to kiss it one has to lean backwards (grasping an iron railing) from the parapet walk. LAST ADMISSION IS 60 MINS BEFORE CLOSING TIME
Luton England
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Blarney Castle”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We visited Blarney Castle two weeks ago, a good choice as there were no queues! Ten euro entry fee which included a lovely walk through a park with a lovely stream. Approaching the castle there is a keep where intruders were held and there is access to the prison cells but it is creepy and not for the unsteady which included we to 70+ ladies. How ever nothing daunted we climbed to the top of the castle, again although there are rope all the way, not for the very unsteady, especially coming down but I relied on the sailor style of coming down backwards which really worked. We had no intention of doing the scary bit of kissing the stone with only feet being held for safety. How ever since my sister visited years ago there have been back -stay hand rails and also still get the assitance of men who are a real laugh. So we did it! There are toilets at the entrance and a gift shop where photos can be collected. A really enjoyable afternoon and we were so blessed with gorgeous weather.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Ottawa, Canada
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Enjoyed the gardens just as much as the castle.”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

The castle was really nice and a great place to visit. I didn't expect the gardens and grounds to be so nice and well looked after. There were so many places to walk around and discover that it's not just about kissing the Blarney stone! The stairs to get up to the stone are quite narrow. We arrived just as the grounds were opening so we didn't have a problem with long lines. It was a lot of fun!

Visited August 2013
London, Ontario, Canada
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“No kissing Blarney Rock”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

The castle grounds are beautiful the grounds are well kept . the ruins are nice need to wear good shoes stairs are very narrow if you have problem climbing do not do the castle just enjoy the property lot to do and see. carry an umbrella or Poncho rain comes any time and gift shop is pricey for Poncho,Great picnic area if you donot want to purchace food.

Visited July 2013
Gaillimh, Galway, Ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great adventure”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Having lived in Cork previoulsy and only coming from Galway, I decided it was about time I visited Blarney castle so went along on this trip. Dogs were allowed in the grounds on the lead so we went for an amazing walk. Realised I should have brought a map though! :-) Sort of ended up combining the 2 longest walks but was worth it. Amazing, tranquil areas, just lost in nature.

When we were finished the walk, my dog got to rest while I went into the castle. Bit nerve racking for me who is scared of heights but I made it to the top, said hi to the stone (honestly I don't need any more gift of the gab) and managed to admire the views once I relaxed.

Really lovely afternoon but I would go back as I had given 3hrs and honestly wasn't enough to see everything. It was way bigger than I thought and still lots more to see.

Enough tourists travel to these places and yet us Irish take them for granted. Would highly recommend more local people checking out the fantastic things our country has to offer.

Saint Louis, Missouri
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Worth the visit”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Well when in Ireland, you have to go kiss the blarney stone.
worth the visit and stay in the town if possible.