“WOW- Awesome”
Review of Leahys Open Farm

Leahys Open Farm
Ranked #2 of 54 Fun & Games in County Cork
More attraction details
Owner description: We are a family run business. We provide a fun day out for all the family. We have digger rides, petting/feeding times with the animals, adventure trails, climbing frames, maze, go karts, museums, coffee shop and indoor play areas. We cater for birthday parties, school tours, communions, scout groups, company days out and holiday visitors. We are open each day for the summer from 11am to 6pm. The petting times at the farm are on each day at 1pm, 3pm and 5pm.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Stroller parking, Food available for purchase
Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

Previous people have said it all, this place blows Fota and it's rip off pricing and even Dublin zoo ( and I go there twice a year) outta the water. My wife, 2 boys, baby girl and myself had a blast, the place is huge so many 'activities' around let alone the farm part. Humphrey is cool! A couple of people mentioned the food, well it's consistent with the hot foods on offer in most other attractions and is more than adequate. I'd say they could have more commercial success if the gift shop was better stocked with more relevant items to farming/ animals etc but I say that as I'm a retailer lol.
Keep up the good work team / family. For me the best family attraction in Ireland. We were first in on the bank hol but we weren't the first to leave - and they even have my old school desks! Know how to make a guy feel old!!!
Cheers

CorkHappyFarmer, Manager at Leahys Open Farm, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2014

Hello, thank you for your review of our farm, thanks also for the comparison to Fota and even Dublin zoo. We will try and stock more fun animals from our farm in our gift shop, you are right. Those old desks in the museum, I'm afraid we all feel a little bit older when we see those in comparison to how kids are thought in school these days. During Christmas, as part of our Santa's village, these desks are put to good use. Jingle the head elf from the North Pole gives a school lesson and everyone sits on the school desks and listens and interacts with Jingle. So there is your chance to come back and sit in for your lessons.

There are newer reviews for Leahys Open Farm

Reviewed August 3, 2014

Just back from Leahy's farm and what a day. The staff, the food, the whole experience is excellent. We paid on the way in and that was that not like other places where you have to pay for every little thing you do. It has to be one of the nicest and probably the only place I have been to where I felt the children were safe. The restaurant is clean and the food is lovely. It really is a trip back in time with the different musems they have there and all the lovely animals which looked really healthy and extremely well cared for. The owners are so friendly and in the farm cottage they had the fire burning and fresh scones baking on the fire, fabulous!! I got taking to the ladies in the cottage and tasted the beautiful bread and told them that I was having problems with my scones and they took the time to go through a receipe with me. I have never met such beautiful, traditional and good old fashioned warmth. You must see this place if you want a day out. Also indoor and outdoor area so the weather doesn't really matter.

Hello, thank you for that lovely review of our farm, we do try our best to provide a fun and exciting day out for all our visitors, we are delighted you enjoyed the museums and bastible baking, this is a lovely tradition of old Ireland which is hard to find these days. We hope you have had success with your own baking after chatting to Ann in the cottage. We look forward to seeing you again at our farm soon.

Reviewed August 1, 2014

From the minute we arrived to the time we left this was a fantastic family day out. When we arrived a really lovely lady kindly went through the map with us, pointed out all the main aspects of the farm and explained petting and feeding times.She was super with the kids and gave them some food to feed the animals. We were off to a great start and great first impressions. The farm is really well kept and you can see a lot of hard work goes into maintaining the farm to high standards. There is so much variety from playgrounds, to a fantastic maze, to a spider climbing frame,JCB digger area,helping feed the animals,indoor play area,train ride and the animals. What makes this farm stand out is the true passion and care that the owners and staff show. They were fantastic with the kids and even though the farm was busy managed to check in with us and ask us did we get a chance to feed the animals, did we get on the train ride and really engaged with the kids. Feeding the monkeys was a highlight for the kids. I complement the team at Leahys for their hard work,dedication and passion. The kids are already asking when can we go back.

Hello, thank you for your great review of our farm, we are delighted you had a great time, we do put a lot of time and effort into making sure every single person who visits our farm goes home happy after a fun and exciting day out. We look forward to seeing you again at our farm.

Reviewed July 13, 2014

we all had great fun. will go again. So much to do my kids loved using the diggers and I had a great drive on quad bike ride. All the old stuff was lovely for my kids to see. As we come from a farm the boys loved the animals and my son had a snake on his neck but I said no thank you. We had a great chat with the owner and found out we knew his relations in Kerry. good fun.

CorkHappyFarmer, Manager at Leahys Open Farm, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2014

Hello, thank you for your lovely review of our farm. We are delighted you had a great day with all the fun activities and animals at Leahys Open Farm. We hope to see you again sometime. Kind regards

Reviewed July 12, 2014

Decided to visit Leahy's Open Farm as we were staying in Youghal and it was listed in the information pack of the accommodation we were staying in. Having visited 'open farms' before, we thought we knew what to expect and that if nothing else it would pass a couple of hours on a dull day weather-wise!

We (myself, husband, 8yr old boy, 6yr old boy & 4mth old baby) headed arriving there about 11.30am. It was €9 each in, which didn't seem overly priced compared to other attractions we have visited in the past. And they give you a little bag of bread crumbs at the entrance to feed the chickens & ducks around the farm! A great touch to get the kiddies interested straight away. The young man at the entrance was very welcoming & friendly and set the tone for the entire visit. Straight after the entrance, there is a small play area for children with a small track and kiddie tractors on it. This caught the attention of our boys immediately and so our fun filled day began & it didn't stop until we reluctantly had to leave almost 6hrs later!!

The entire place is so well maintained. The animal enclosures are spotlessly kept. The play areas for the children are in great condition and there is so much, in between looking at animals, to keep them entertained. A big hedge maze, crazy golf, climbing frames, leprechaun cave, agility course, construction area with big slide and real JCB machinery they can use, big fire engine, go-karts on a good size track and the quad train! We were informed of times for petting & feeding some of the animals and farmer Eddie & Donal were great explaining things to the children during this. The children were allowed feed the goats & monkeys, have a turn at milking the goat and pet a rabbit & snake! This was more than enough to make them feel that they had been involved in farming activities!

After this they were taken around the farm on the quad train & they absolutely loved it! They were then allowed to use the JCB machinery for €2 each, which I thought was an extremely reasonable amount after everything else that they were allowed to use & do for the €9 entry fee. Boys being boys, they thought this was brilliant, plus we had never come across anything like this at any other attraction we've visited before! They could spend as long as they wanted on the go-karts and got great fun out of racing each other around the track!

There is also a little museum area with lots of everyday items from by-gone times and different old fashioned rooms set up to browse around such as a classroom, shop, old kitchen etc. This was lovely to wander around and again, have never seen this before in an open farm! The entry fee alone would be charged by others for just the museum area on its own!

There is a little cafe on site too, which we didn't use as we had a picnic, but the staff were very friendly and obliging when it came to heating up baby's bottles during the day! And it looked really welcoming and clean.

I got to chat to Eddie for a while when the boys were entertained on the racing track & he is such a friendly, chatty gentleman that I'd have gladly left the boys to it & sat down with him for a cuppa! You can tell that this farm is a real family affair and a real labour of love and it was an absolute pleasure to spend time in eddies company and to spend an entire day on their farm. When it was time to leave, the children didn't want to go as they were really enjoying every moment of it.

Without doubt, this place is one of the best attractions we have ever visited with the children. The €9 entry is an absolute steal when you see how well maintained it is and what you get to see and do for your money! We will be repeat visitors, without any doubt! Well done to all the Leahy family, all your time and effort that you've put in to get this place to the standard it's at today has been so worth it!

2  Thank Laneymcd

Hello, well thank you so much for your great review, I had to print this and show it to all the staff at the farm. It was really well put together and we certainly feel a great sense of satisfaction when we read your thoughts on our farm. The one thing we try to do each and every day is make sure that each person who comes to the farm has the best day ever. Thank you for this great review. We look forward to seeing you again sometime when you visit Cork.