“Old style”

Auburn Lodge Hotel & Leisure Centre
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Ennis
Reviewed August 21, 2013

My husband & I spent 3 nights in the auburn lodge. Having read bad reviews before we went I was surprised to find the hotel was better than I expected. It wasnt the most glamouress but comfortable. Our room was ok except the television kept loosing reception. Very annoying. The staff were very nice and helpful and pleasant. We had dinner one night and have to say it was very disappointing. It was more carvery style which I do t like. I ordered chicken which was ok if wasnt smothered in sauce. Breakfast was ok except for the bacon. It had a really strange salty taste. I thought it was only the first morning but no it was the same every day.. You need to change your bacon supplier. I had Caesar salad and it had the same horrible bacon on top. I thought it was the breakfast leftover bacon re heated. Bar man very friendly. Not sure i would go back but it was good valu as we got 3rd night free which is unusual for weekend stays. Hotel was busy and had a nice atmosphere. The staff contributed to this..

Room Tip: We had room 329 and it was lovely.. Very comfortable bed
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Helen D
Write a ReviewReviews (1,021)

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Stayed 2nights, family package weekend 1 nights dinner for adults,2 days breakfasts for all. So booked cot for room, checked in and the room we were given no cot and a view of a wall, had to go back to reception to be told that she'd given us the wrong room, got new room that was fine, till the cot broke, it was well used. receptionist advised us to booked for dinner that night, as it get very busy, on arrival at restaurant only two other tables occupied, we asked for a baby chair and had to wait 25mins and ask the same waiter twice before we got one. In the mean time we had to give our order for dinner, which my partner had to do with a child in arms while waiting on chair for the baby, asked the guy about the meat, told chicken or steak, he opted for the steak only to be told when the bill came he owed 7.95 for the steak as it was not part of the weekender package. The hotel should have a beef dish choice which clients don't have to supplement. The food was lovely, no complaints on that front. On our last morning this same male waiter, confronted my partner as he was getting Weetabix for our baby, to ask our room number, then came to our table with some piece of paper for my partner to sign, saying we owed the hotel 5 euro for our daughters breakfast as it wasn't part of our package. Partner refused to sign as all breakfasts were included in the package. Partner reported this to hotel reception the morning we check out, with the waiter in question ear-wigging in the conversation but keeping stumm, till my partner left the desk, then he was all mouth to receptionist. Rooms need a lick of paint, new bedding wouldn't go a miss, but its bearable. Spiders and butterfly in the hallway, butterfly is that long there that it was half in a cocoon which goes to show how long that was there, but housekeeping didn't notice till i pointed them out.

Room Tip: If your given a room between 403-410, use the fire exit to get to car park, save your legs walking f...
2  Thank Kate D
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Stayed here for a 2 night family midweek break, to experience all Clare has to offer. Great value for money, breakfast was great, dinner in the restaurant included in the package price was of exceptional quality. We were met on arrival by very friendly, helpful, professional receptionist Aoife. The friendly staff continued the whole stay from reception to restaurant to bar etc. Very roomy family room with great swimming pool (with a little seperate kiddies section which my 5 year old was thrilled about). Lovely courtyard in middle of hotel. Really enjoyed our stay here and will definitely be back.

1  Thank TracyLIreland
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Like Sarah I had booked this hotel for a romantic stay in the middle of our B&B journey around Ireland. I chose this hotel because of the photos on the website as the rooms looked amazing. I almost burst into tears when We finally got to our room. We were at the very far end of the hotel, up stairs with heavy suitcases, with a view of a car park. Though at least the car park looked new. The room was very old, furniture and walls chipped and the beautiful furnishings from the website were nowhere to be seen. The bathroom was ancient and even if the bath had been nice, I could not have a relaxing soak in it as the exhaust fan comes on with the light and sounded like a jet engine. To limit our time to sleeping we drove out to the Cliffs of Mohr at 6pm and then had a late dinner in town at a fabulous pub. The next morning at breakfast I was further disappointed by the lack of options for vegetarians. There were none of the mushrooms and beans we got everywhere else. If the photos hadn't promised so much I would not have been so upset (though likely o book elsewhere as I did want a romantic experience) and I don't think I should have had to ask to be moved to another room that matched their publicity. If you promote your property a certain way then every room should match what you promote.

Room Tip: If you do decide to book, ask up front for one of the rooms on the website and not the old, unmodern...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rebecca P
Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here the bank holiday weekend in August for my boyfriends 30th birthday and we had a massive big room, nice and airy with 3 windows and the sun beamed in in the evening, doesn't sound anything like the reviews on here, nice modern furniture and wallpaper and beautiful curtains!
We had a nice relaxing stay for 2 nites chilling out in the bar and leisure centre and took great advantage of what clare has to offer, the beautiful views of the Burren, cliffs of moher, the aillwee caves! The website states that the cliffs are only ten miles away, they took nearly an hour to get there when driving so they should change that!

Ennis town is only 5 Mins drive away and good trad sessions in knox's pub.

The hotel itself has a lovely little courtyard and garden in the middle of it. Have to say the customer service here is so good and the staff are so friendly and helpful in any queries you may have!

We had no complaints here at all only that our radiator was on when we arrived making the room little bit too warm as the sun made it warm anyway!

Would definitely stay here again if we are in ennis!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank lwex
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We booked here for a night for the August bank holiday weekend to go away and chill out. Got a pretty average price so took it. When we arrived the reception was lovely and the staff were very friendly. So far so good. However when we went to our room I was gobsmacked. Old, OLD furniture, single glazed wooden window, electrical conduit running up the wall and a bathroom from the 70s. It felt like a prison cell. I was ready to get back in the car and go home again. We went back to reception where we explained that the room was not acceptable and we were not staying in it. They gave us a second room, which was slightly more modern, however again the bathroom was vile and the bathtub was actually yellow! I felt so let down, our relaxing romantic night away was ruined. Receptionist called to see if this room suited us and we told her no again. She moved some things around and we finally got a really lovely room at the door to the leisure centre and enjoyed the rest of our stay.
The food and staff were absolutely amazing and couldn't have been nicer, however due to the rooms there is no way I would go back. Hotel is in dire need of renovation.

Room Tip: Room 505 beside the entrance to the leisure centre was beautiful, spacious and modern.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank InstaDub
Reviewed August 5, 2013

The staff at Auburn Lodge were brash and unhelpful. The main receptionist was exceedingly unpleasant to deal with. A graduation party was being hosted during our one night stay. Kids running around screaming drunk all night provided for a poor stay. The morning continental breakfast was a hectic rush. Loads of people streaming about. The food was not great either for the price. The waitstaff at the restaurant was unpleasant and very rushing to the dinners.

2  Thank nualaloula
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ennis
Hotel Woodstock
The Inn at Dromoland
The Inn at Dromoland
#2 of 2 in Newmarket-on-Fergus
Ashford Court Boutique Hotel

Been to Auburn Lodge Hotel & Leisure Centre? Share your experiences!