“Step back in time”

Auburn Lodge Hotel & Leisure Centre
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Ennis
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We booked here for a night for the August bank holiday weekend to go away and chill out. Got a pretty average price so took it. When we arrived the reception was lovely and the staff were very friendly. So far so good. However when we went to our room I was gobsmacked. Old, OLD furniture, single glazed wooden window, electrical conduit running up the wall and a bathroom from the 70s. It felt like a prison cell. I was ready to get back in the car and go home again. We went back to reception where we explained that the room was not acceptable and we were not staying in it. They gave us a second room, which was slightly more modern, however again the bathroom was vile and the bathtub was actually yellow! I felt so let down, our relaxing romantic night away was ruined. Receptionist called to see if this room suited us and we told her no again. She moved some things around and we finally got a really lovely room at the door to the leisure centre and enjoyed the rest of our stay.
The food and staff were absolutely amazing and couldn't have been nicer, however due to the rooms there is no way I would go back. Hotel is in dire need of renovation.

Room Tip: Room 505 beside the entrance to the leisure centre was beautiful, spacious and modern.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank InstaDub
There are newer reviews for Auburn Lodge Hotel & Leisure Centre

Reviewed August 5, 2013

The staff at Auburn Lodge were brash and unhelpful. The main receptionist was exceedingly unpleasant to deal with. A graduation party was being hosted during our one night stay. Kids running around screaming drunk all night provided for a poor stay. The morning continental breakfast was a hectic rush. Loads of people streaming about. The food was not great either for the price. The waitstaff at the restaurant was unpleasant and very rushing to the dinners.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank nualaloula
Reviewed July 30, 2013

My family and I stayed at Auburn Lodge for the last night of our Ireland vacation. I booked this hotel because it was in a town near Shannon airport so we wouldn't have a far drive in the morning for our flight. The photos looked great, but I should have paid more attention to the reviews before booking my room. I originally booked three nights, but when I had a change in plans, they were very accommodating with changing my booking to just one night. However, I booked breakfast with my original reservation, and the day we checked in we realized we couldn't make breakfast because our flight was earlier than they started serving. I was unable to have the charges removed from my cost even though we obviously didn't stay for breakfast. All they provided was a 15 Euro discount when it cost 30. In addition, there was NO front desk staff when we went to check out at 7:00 AM, there was only a note on a phone saying to "dial 0 for service". When I did so, there was no answer. Then when someone did finally get there after about 5 minutes of waiting, they were just getting into work for the morning and there was no way for them to provide me with a receipt; they had to email it to me. The room was decent, however, as several reviews here on Trip Advisor mention, it appeared the room numbers in the 500's were newer and probably nicer than what we had. Those are the rooms that are near the spa and pool. The pool was nice, my daughter enjoyed swimming very much and the pub food was good. I have no complaints on the food. Overall, it was nice, but very average and a little disappointing after spending a few nights in some fabulous B&B's throughout Ireland up to that point. I would probably choose a different hotel if staying in Ennis.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are quieter but older. Rooms in the 500 number range are newer and near the spa...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank joy42001
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Went to a wedding here, drinks reception staff weren't any bit friendly. Asked what was in the punch and she barely answered me ( was pregnant so needed to know if it had alcohol). Meal was cold, soup was hottest course. Service for dinner very bad and unorganized, asked for more bread with soup our request was ignored by first waitress and 2 nd one told us they had no more left! Got main meal which was cold but lucky my salmon was cooked not like my friends lamb which was raw. . Had our dinner ate by time we got mash and veg. Desert was thrown in a bowl, unprofessional. Got tea but no teaspoon, asked waitress but didn't get one. Table of 10 of us all agreed was worst meal we ever had at a wedding. Our room seemed like it was miles away from reception. Basic and old fashioned. Stains on carpets, walls and curtains. Wasn't overly clean especially the bathroom. Could hear everything of other guests in other rooms. We skipped breakfast! Thought it was safer. Definitely won't stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank catiex
Reviewed July 29, 2013

wow wow wow stayed in hotel for three wonderful nights from 26th to 29th of July, we were met by a lovely and friendly receptionist mairead, 10 out of 10 for facilities, bar service , food excellent huge portions, friendly staff leisure center excellent 10, restaurant excellent 10, friendly welcoming staff through out the hotel special thanks to noel, Brian from the bar, and thanks to all staff in restaurant especially Edna. WE WILL BE BACK JIM /MARGARET WEXFORD

Room Tip: rooms on the south side are fine
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Stayed two nights with my son and partner on arrival we were greeted by a lovely friendly receptionist. We were given very clear times as to when the 8yr old could use the pool and the times he was allowed in the bar.The room was very clean and the beds were really comfortable.
The staff in the bar were the most helpful crew I have ever dealt with they gave us anything we asked for with no fuss whats so ever including going 2 the shop to buy Malibu !!! The food was really keenly priced big portions and really nice.. The breakfast was well above average and no end to the amount you could eat and a massive choice of food. I asked for a iron and it was at my room in less than 5 minuites I have to say it was the most relaxing hotel I have ever stayed in I just loved it from start to finish. All in all it is a very friendly and homely ran hotel

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Deirdre C
Reviewed July 23, 2013

What a terrible hotel. Filthy filthy dirty. The bar smelled rotten. Got bar food, we had to return brown bread as it was blue mouldy and hairy along the crust. The staff were trying their best but it was the most dreadful place I have ever stayed. Never again. I still can't believe how dirty the place is.

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank Caitdoc
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ennis
Hotel Woodstock
Ashford Court Boutique Hotel
The Inn at Dromoland
The Inn at Dromoland
#2 of 2 in Newmarket-on-Fergus

Been to Auburn Lodge Hotel & Leisure Centre? Share your experiences!