“Really nice and friendly - home away from home”
Review of Temple Gate Hotel

Temple Gate Hotel
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Ennis
Reviewed December 15, 2010

Stayed one night. Nice hotel, great location in the town. Front desk very firendly. Cosy hotel. At first I thought room was a bit small for an executive room but it was fine. Had room service which was lovely and came in a timely manner, also ate in bar which was very nice. Would definitely recommend hotel. Room seemed cold when we checked in but during the night I had to open the window as it was boiling. Would definitely stay again. There was only 1 soap and 1 shampoo/wash in bathroom - room for 2 people, dont know if it was an oversight or if that is all you get per room.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
SiobhanHassett, Manager at Temple Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2011

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay and for taking the time to post your comments in Trip Advisor. Your comments relating to food have been graciously received by the Chef and his team.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Temple Gate Hotel in 2011.

Reviewed October 31, 2010

My husband and I spent our 11th anniversary and first trip to Ireland at Temple Gate... everyone was so great! Clean rooms, great food, and the best service! I am in the customer service industry in the US so it takes a lot to impress me, Mags, Margaret, Inga, and Betty are so sweet and really took interest in out trip. John took the time to point out what we could do and then asked how we enjoyed it. I can't wait to go back. I would highly recommend!!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
SiobhanHassett, Manager at Temple Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2010

Thank you for your kind comments following your recent stay and belated congratulations on your 11th Wedding Anniversary!
I have shared your comments with our staffs who are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay. They are most appreciative of your complimentary feedback on the standard of food and service you enjoyed throughout your stay.
We look forward to welcoming you on return visits to Temple Gate Hotel.

Reviewed October 26, 2010

Stayed in The Temple Gate for the Bank Holiday Weekend, with friends and family/children. When booking I specifically asked for a quiet room...Far from quiet room we got. First night were awoken by a Halloween Banger going off and then followed by an alarm on the building opposite. Went off after about 20 mins.
Our room backed out onto the Courtyard, which is a walkway through the town. As we had unpacked and got settled I was'nt going to get moved for the 2nd Night.
2nd Night was the same old story. Noisey people walking through the courtyard, alarms going off. You can even hear people pee'ing in the other rooms - sorry to be so explicit! but i'm telling the truth.
I was'nt expecting much from the Temple Gate, as I had read the reviews. The bedrooms definately do need updating - Come on guys, your reception area and lougnes are lovely, please update your bedrooms.
On a positive side - Nice food in the Bar for Lunch and Restruant Lovely too.
Very accommodating staff front of house and waiting staff.
Ennis is a beautiful Town!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
SiobhanHassett, Manager at Temple Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to send us feedback. We welcome all constructive criticism and look at any issues that may surface.
While much of the hotel underwent refurbishment within the last two years, it continues to be a work in progress.
We sincerely regret the disturbance. Our location can mean extra street activity on weekends as much as we try to contain it. On your next visit we would be happy to assign one of our quieter bedrooms upon request as unfortunately it appears they were not available on this occasion.
Thank you for your kind comments on food and service enjoyed throughout your stay. We have recently received “Best Place to Eat in Clare” award and are a recipient of the AA Rosette, awarded in recognition of fine wine and service each year since 1996.
I do hope you will give us a further opportunity to restore your faith in Temple Gate Hotel.

Reviewed October 24, 2010

This hotel was very centrally located (in downtown Ennis). The bar/pub downstairs was delicious. I would choose it over the restaurant if I had to. The pub fair was delicious and there were many great choices. Don't get me wrong the restaurant was good too it's just the pub was really great! Overall, this was a decent hotel.

• Stayed: October 2010
SiobhanHassett, Manager at Temple Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2010

Thank you for your feedback following your stay and for taking the time to post it on Trip Advisor. The hotel has been awarded the AA Rosette, in recognition of fine food and service, since 1996. Preachers Pub, of which you comment most favourably, was deemed “Best Place To Eat In Clare” at the recent Clare Business Excellence Awards.. Your feedback is further authentication of this and many other awards bestowed on Temple Gate Hotel.
We look forward to welcoming you on your next visit to Temple Gate Hotel.

Reviewed October 18, 2010

I booked this through an Expedia package, and let me tell you I am so glad I did! First, I must say that I had a car, and if I didn't I don't think I would have enjoyed it so much. There's a free car park out front, which was nice.

The hotel is a converted church I believe, which adds to the charm. There is a pub and a restaurant, and so if you want to go for a pint after you get back from sightseeing, you can go back to your room without having to worry about transportation!

The rooms were nice, but basic, and the customer service was great. There's also a Dunne's store right there, so if you need anything you don't have to go looking all over Ennis. It's also about a 20 minute drive to Shannon airport, so it was a perfect place to stay!

I would most definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: October 2010
SiobhanHassett, Manager at Temple Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2010

We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay and thank you for taking the time to tell us! The hotel is an ideal base when visiting the West of Ireland and its proximity to Shannon Airport ensure that it’s a popular resting place when enjoying the area's unique tourist attractions such as the Cliff of Moher & the Burren. Our complimentary hotel car park enables guests to park & amble through the streets of the historic, yet progressive and vibrant, town of Ennis. With accolades including “Best Place to Eat in Clare”, an AA Rosette award and its’ historic beginnings, Temple Gate Hotel is fast gaining a reputation with local and visitors as being a “must visit” premises. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed September 29, 2010

Temple Gate Hotel is perfectly located in Ennis. Then again, most hotels are probably perfectly located in Ennis as this is a small town and walkable from just about any accommodation.

The staff are without exception wonderful, helpful and attentive. Their recommendations were without fault. From which restaurant, to which tour guide to which pub we were never steered wrong and I must say Thank You again for making our visit to Ireland such a pleasure.

On the negative side, I really think it is time for hotel ownership to renovate the guest rooms and to give the entire property a thorough cleaning. Our room was not one of the "Executive Rooms" and I wish we had booked one of these upgraded rooms in hindsight. While large and well laid out, our room was simply out of date and worn out. While I can't be certain, I suspect the carpets, drapes and furniture are all original to the 1996 constuction of the property and the age is clearly showing. I am by no means picky, but when my wife is unwilling to walk across the room barefooted and I have to swipe spider webs from the corners, something needs to be done.

The hotel restaurant was good. We had breakfast each morning and dinner one evening (included in our rate) and found the menu adequate. A very nice wine list was also appreciated and reasonably priced as well. PLEASE PLEASE mop the dining room floors more than once a month. When my shoes literally stick to the floor, my appetite tends to go away.

Preachers Pub on premises is a decent affair, with lively bartenders and a good setting. There was a small group of local musicians playing trad music one evening for a couple hours and that was appreciated. Walk a block or two to Brogan's for a more lively show just about any night as well.

We feel the hotel is a great value and well located, but the stale decor and general condition of the hotel leave a bit to be desired, no matter the cost.

PEACE

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank Rickebob
SiobhanHassett, Manager at Temple Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to send the detailed feedback following your stay at the hotel.
The hotel has been awarded the AA Rosette, in recognition of fine food and service, since 1996 and was recently deemed “Best Place To Eat In Clare”. Your feedback is further authentication of these awards.
I was disappointed to read of your comments regarding your bedroom and your observations have been discussed with the Department Manager.
Thank you again for writng the review and we look forward to welcoming you back to Temple Gate Hotel in the future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed September 28, 2010

The Hotel is very well located for access to the business district as well as quick access to major highways. The hotels common areas are very nice, the Preachers Bar was very nice with friendly staff and the restaurant is very nice with good food. The only problem-and it was a major problem-was the condition of the rooms. They were in desparate need of updating. The carpet, bedspread, and couch were very worn. They might have been clean, but we could not be sure. If the rooms are updated, I could highly recommend Temple Gate. Until them, I would avoid it.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback following your stay at the hotel.
Thank you for your kind comments on the food and service enjoyed throughout your stay. We were delighted to recently receive the accolade of “Best Place To Eat in Clare” and your comments are further testament to this and other awards bestowed on the hotel.
It is disappointing that some areas did not meet with your expectations and we appreciate all constructive criticism from guests. I hope you will give us the opportunity to restore your faith in the hotel sometime in the future.
Sales & Marketing Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ennis
Old Ground Hotel
#2 of 2 in Newmarket-on-Fergus
Dromoland Castle Hotel
Dromoland Castle Hotel
#1 of 2 in Newmarket-on-Fergus

Been to Temple Gate Hotel? Share your experiences!