“One black mark”
Review of Temple Gate Hotel

Temple Gate Hotel
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Ennis
Reviewed June 10, 2010

Like another review posted here recently I was given a smoking room even though I had not asked for one. It reeked of cigarette smoke. When I pointed this out to the lady at reception expecting it to be corrected immediately I was told there were no non-smoking rooms available. Assigning guests to smoking rooms in this day and age without their consent is unnaceptable. I notice the hotel respondes to some of these reviews and I hope they will undertake to stop this pratice immediately. Fortunately there was another smoking room available where the smell of smoke was hardly noticable, so I took that as I was with colleagues and moving hotel would have been very difficult.

In fairness apart from this black mark, the hotel was otherwise quite good. The room was comforable, the decor of the hotel was nice, and the staff were friendly and helpful, although some of the catering staff could have done with a little bit of training. One of them looked at me as if I had two horns when I asked for porridge made with only water, not milk, and it took a little persistence to get my way! However the food was good. The other little bugbear I had was the radio stations on the television i the bedroom . They only had Clare FM and 2FM - they described the latter as 'Ireland's national radio service.' Please get RTE radio ONe on your radio service! - Ireland's number one radio station and the one most likely to be wanted by your Irish guests, and anyone with an interest in current affairs.

I would book this room to a friend but would warn them to specify non-smoking. Can only give an average rating this time due to the smoking room problem, which really annoyed me, although the hotel was very good in other ways.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
SiobhanHassett, Manager at Temple Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We analyse all guest feedback, good and bad, as it allows us to build on our strengths and look into any issues that may arise.
Firstly thank you for the compliments relating to many areas of the hotel.
However it is unfortunate that the unavailability of a non- smoking room left the one black mark during your stay. Your comments relating to smoking rooms are similar to those received from some other customers.Consequently we have undertaken to change Temple Gate Hotel to a non smoking venue. This process has begun this week.
Unfortunately we have a limited number of channels on the in-house television, therefore to date we have not included RTE 1. However I will research the possibility of including RTE 1 to the list of channels.
We hope you will give us the opportunity in the future to restore your faith in the hotel.

Reviewed June 4, 2010

I just spent one night recently at Temple Gate Hotel. It was a lovely hotel, very clean, and the staff at the front desk were friendly and helpful, especially Mags. The hotel was in a great location, just around the corner from the pubs, shops, etc.

• Stayed: May 2010

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of Temple Gate Hotel so that others can be assured of the level of service they will receive when they visit our hotel.
I have passed your comments in relation to Reception staff and particularly Mags.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed May 31, 2010

We had an extremely difficult time finding the hotel, but the townsfolk were helpful when asked, but we seemed to go around in circles for some reason. Once found, we arrived just after the food service in the pub had just closed, but the front desk gentleman handed us a menu to select our dinner while we brought in luggage. We entered the pub and our food was ready. The food service closed at 9:30 or so,but the pub stayed open. The pub was a former nunnery and was very old with rock pillars and timber beams...extremely beautful and historic with neat benches and tables!

Our room rates were so very affordable, very clean and comfortable room. The front desk again assisted us when making a phone call to our next destination and only charged us 4 cents for the call...no trumped up hotel charges for using the phone which impressed us.

Also, the very best item of food we had in Ireland--including the fabulous fish & chips--was the hotel's cheese cake which melted in your mouth and was unlike anything I have ever tasted.

I would highly recommend this hotel, but seek specific directions to the location. Kudos to the staff for their courtesy to us!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank IrelandTravelers
SiobhanHassett, Manager at Temple Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2010

It is very much appreciated that you took the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor.
A good "rule of thumb" for finding the hotel is that it is located next to the Ennis Tourist Office and the Clare Museum, facilities frequented by many visitors to Ennis town.
Temple Gate Hotel is steeped in history and the gothic style has been preserved throughout the hotel.
Your comments on the food and service received throughout your stay have been relayed to the Chef and his team. The hotel has received the prestigious AA Rosette, awarded in recognition of fine cuisine and service, each year since the hotel opened in 1996.
Thank you for your complimentary feedback relating to the staff. Future guests can be assured of the level of service they will receive when they visit our hotel.
Siobhán Hassett
Sales & Marketing Manager.

Reviewed May 28, 2010

We stayed one night at this hotel and were very disappointed with our experience. We had booked 2 rooms through a booking service and when we arrived we were given smoking rooms. The girl at the desk told us that we had specified smoking rooms which we were never given the choice when we booked. My sister in law and I booked separately so I do not understand how we could both have made that mistake and we checked our reservation and no where did it specify that we requested smoking rooms. I will say that they did try to see if we could get nonsmoking rooms at another hotel as they were totally booked but they did not try to make any adjustments at their hotel. Besides the fact that the room reeked of smoke, the carpets in the rooms were filthy. We picked up a brochure of the hotel and the room that we stayed in did not even come close to the pictures. I also noticed that other reviews mentioned free internet however we were told that there was a fee for the internet. I definitely would not recommend this hotel to anyone. We stayed in 7 different hotels/guesthouses in Ireland and this was by far our worst experience.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Matriarach

I am concerned to read of your experience during your stay. As you mentioned you booked through a third party site and I am aware that some sites do not give an option to opt for a smoking or non-smoking room when choosing a room type.
I appreciate that hotel staff tried, albeit unsuccessfully, to reserve non-smoking rooms but due to non-availability alternative rooms could not be booked at this hotel or other local hotel.
Concerns regarding smoking rooms have featured in some comments received from guests and consequently we have decided to commence the process of changing the hotel to a non-smoking premises. This process has commenced this week.
Complimentary Wi-Fi is available throughout all public areas of the hotel and therefore we do not have a facility to charge for Wi-Fi. We are investigating what appears to be a misunderstanding regarding this.

Reviewed May 18, 2010

Very nice hotel in the heart of Ennis. We arrived by car, and the hotel was easy to find, and also provide free parking close to the entrance.

Everything is clean and well maintained. Quite big rooms, compared to UK standards. The breakfast were ok. We did only eat continental breakfast, but fully Irish breakfast are also provided, coocked as you wish. But it felt like the waiters were a bit slow with filling up the buffet. There were no bread for quite a while before someone noticed and filled it up. Same thing with fruits and cereal.

Nice bar and restaurant in the hotel. Several nice pubs in town.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
SiobhanHassett, Sales & Marketing Manager at Temple Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2010

It is appreciated that you took the time to post your feedback on Trip Advisor. We welcome all feedback, good and bad, and we make a point to analyse the comments. This process allows us to build on our strengths and look at any issues that may surface.
Thank you for your positive comments on the facilities offered at the hotel. I have passed on your comments in relation to breakfast to our restaurant manager.

Kind regards

Reviewed April 20, 2010

I had the pleasure of staying at this hotel for two nights recently. I had a great experience before, during and after my stay. I'll explain that a bit, but here are the nuts and bolts:

1. The hotel is in the heart of Ennis - right by the city square and all the great sites, shopping, fun (pubs!) and convenience that comes with the central location. The hotel's location would make it worth staying in regardless of the other positives. Hit Brogans pub while you're here. It's the real deal with great food/good prices.
2. The rooms are large, comfortable and well-outfitted. I was very comfortable and it was quiet. The free internet is a nice touch as well.
3. The staff is very attentive and professional. It was a true pleasure. More details follow.
4. The food in the restaurant was very good.

So, on to the before/during/after I mentioned: Since I was traveling with a group and didn't make my reservations, I wanted to request a non-smoking room. I'm not sure if they even have smoking rooms, but I wanted to confirm. They got back to me right away and said it would be taken care of. It was.

Then, the hero stuff: They have a showcase of local goods in the lobby. My mother saw something she wanted in there, but we didn't have time to shop for it. For the rest of our trip in Ireland, we had to go into EVERY store looking for it. We never found it. Knowing Mother's Day is coming up in the U.S., I e-mailed the hotel asking if they knew where it was from. Again, they (Siobhan from reception) got back to me right away with the store name and phone number. I was pleasantly surprised. Maybe everyone is like that in Ireland, but they are not in the U.S.!

I would highly recommend this hotel if you're going to be in Ennis.

• Stayed: April 2010
1  Thank mulled01
SiobhanHassett, Sales & Marketing Manager at Temple Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2010

Your thoughtful and very detailed feedback has been received with delight and pride by all Temple Gate Hotel.
It shows great appreciation for the welcome and service you received from the staff. The hotel has received the prestigious AA Rosette, awarded in recognition of fine cuisine and service, each year since it opened in 1996.
Your compliments on Siobhán (O’Brien), a Receptionist at the hotel were also appreciated. Your feedback have been shared with her and all the team who look forward to welcoming you back to Temple Gate Hotel in the near future.
Thank you once again for taking the time to post your feedback.

kind regards
Key Accounts Manager

Reviewed April 10, 2010

I arrived in Ennis and found this hotel next to the Tourist Information Centre. Rates were reasonable at around 60 Euros per night including a full breakfast. The room, with ensuite, was spacious and clean. The staff were extremely helpful and responded positively to each of my requests. The dinner menu was varied and delicious. The hotel was so close to the bars and the town centre that it was an easy stroll to most attractions. I would certainly stay here when I next visit Ennis and recommend it to anyone who enjoys comfort with a touch of luxury.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
SiobhanHassett, Sales & Marketing Manager at Temple Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and sharing your valued feedback with us. I have shared you comments on the high level service you enjoyed and your dining experiences during your stay. Temple Gate Hotel has received the prestigious AA Rosette, awarded in recognition of fine cuisine and service, each year since the hotel opened in 1996. Your comments will assure others of the level of service they will receive when they visit our hotel.
Kind regards
Sales & Marketing Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ennis
The Old Ground
Ashford Court Boutique Hotel
Bunratty Castle Hotel
Bunratty Castle Hotel
#2 of 2 in Bunratty

Been to Temple Gate Hotel? Share your experiences!