“Great location, very nice place”
Review of Temple Gate Hotel

Temple Gate Hotel
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Ennis
“Great location, very nice place”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

This hotel is well located both in the town of Ennis and near the area's attractions. It's a short trip to the Cliffs of Moher and Bunratty Castle using Ennis as your home base. The hotel has a large parking lot on one side and a charming walkway leads you to Ennis's main street on the other side. The hotel's lobby and pub promised great guest rooms but they are small and ordinary. However, they are clean and comfortable and worked all right since we weren't in our rooms for much more than sleeping. This hotel is a renovated convent and the event room beautifully shows off the features of the former chapel.There's also a lovely library off the lobby. We only ate breakfast here which was served in the main restaurant.The staff was friendly and helpful. It was very good but not outstanding. An added bonus for me was to find out this used to be a Sisters of Mercy convent founded by Catherine McAuley. As a proud alum of Mother McAuley High School, I was amazed to find that, out of all the hotels in Ireland, I booked us into this one.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank marf45
Siobhan H, Manager at Temple Gate Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Ikab,
Thank you for sharing your comments following your stay with us. Preachers Pub won the award as “Best Place to Eat in Clare” and your comments further endorse this award. Your kind feedback has been shared will all the staff here at the hotel. Thank you for your recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you on your next visit to Temple Gate Hotel.
Sales & Marketing Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Overland Park, Kansas
Reviewed February 26, 2013

The accomodations are very much in line with the price of this hotel. The staff was very nice. We did not eat here, so I cannot comment on the food. There is a ball room when you walk in that was being used for a party the night we were there. At first I was worried the noise would drift up into our room (it was a BIG party); however, we had no issue with noise. The size of our room was "average" I would say (from an American's prospective). We definitely were not cramped and there was enough room for our suitecases to both be out and open the entire stay. My one wish is that the rooms would have appeared a bit cleaner. The bathroom of our room had some stains in the bathtub and the sheets while they were clean appeared pretty worn and a bit dingy.

For the price per person per night it was a good value.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Kristan G,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments following your stay with us at Temple Gate Hotel. I am delighted to read that overall feedback is positive. I have passed your comments to our Accommodation Manager who will take action following your feedback.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Temple Gate Hotel in the not too distant future.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I stayed at this hotel recently on a business trip. The reception staff were very helpful. My room was a little chilly when I arrived in the early evening but I rang reception and this was quickly rectified. The room was very clean and comfortable, just perfect after a very long day, travelling to Ireland early morning and then working. It was also nice and quiet despite looking onto the square.
The shops were nearby especially a Dunnes store which stayed open till late, very handy should you need anything.
I ate in the bar both evenings, the food was really nice especially the chowder with Irish Soda Bread and the Baileys Cheesecake Mmm!
Breakfast was in the main restaurant, there was a variety of cereal, fruit and juices. Also a choice for cooked breakfast.
I would definately recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Ikab,
Thank you for sharing your comments following your stay with us. Preachers Pub has been deemed “Best Place to Eat in Clare” and your comments further endorse this award. Your kind feedback has been shared will all the staff here at the hotel. Thank you for your recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you on your next visit to Temple Gate Hotel.
Siobhán Hassett
Sales & Marketing Manager.
galway
Reviewed February 25, 2013

we stayed here for one night a few weeks ago, hotel is just ok, very average. room was very small with a small double bed. Breakfast was ordered from menu so we expected it to be freshly prepared, it wasnt, it was all dried up and not edible. The bar is very nice and staff seem nice also. The one good thing is the location, centre of ennis town. I wont stay here again, not luxurious but ok for bed to sleep in for night.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Elisash,
I am sorry to read that your recent stay did not fully live up to your expectations but thank you for your kind comments on both the bar and our staff.I am disappointed that were not happy with breakfast for which we normally receive good feedback. I hope you will give us an opportunity in the future to restore your faith in Temple Gate Hotel.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I had to travel last Sunday in order to be in Ennis for an early Monday meeting so I was already grumpy when I arrived. The receptionist politely ignored this grumpiness, went out of her way to get me checked in quickly and efficiently and was always pleasant and professional.

The room was warm and pleasant, the meeting areas around reception are quiet and perfect for relaxing. The Hotel itself is located right in the heart of Ennis - one of a small number of towns in Ireland where a visit is absolutely mandatory.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Bengii
Siobhan H, Manager at Temple Gate Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Bengil.
Thank you for sharing your feedback following your recent stay with us and delighted to read that our Receptionist may have help to lift your mood! Your comments on both the hotel and Ennis town are welcomed and I hope will encourage others to visit in the future. We hope you will also have the opportunity to stay with us again and we look forward to welcoming you on your next visit.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Stayed here for one mid-week night when the hotel was understandably quiet. The bar had a good variety of dishes and the 8oz steak was very enjoyable. Staff throughout the hotel were very friendly from the reception, bar and breakfast room the following morning. The ecclesiastical decor in the bar is a bit over the top but overall my experience was very good and I would recommend this hotel to others

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dear Balleywick53,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Preachers Pub has been awarded “Best Place to Eat in Clare” and your feedback is a further endorsement of this award. The hotel rests on the site of a 19th century convent so the ecclesiastical decor, which is protected, is visable in a small number of areas throughout the hotel.Thank you for your recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you on your next visit to Temple Gate Hotel.
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I usually stay and eat in a neighbouring hotel when I'm in Ennis. Was taken to the restaurant in the Temple Gate as a change of scene - however, a change of scene not for the better. The starter was unmemorable, but OK, and I ordered steak for the main course. I like steak, but often don't go for it on menus - I wish I had maintained my abstinence. I asked for it medium rare - it came to as dry as bone with not a trickle of succulence left in it. A very odd 'pepper' sauce swathed ever inch of my plate and turned an ordinary dish into a dreadful experience. On the positive side the staff were efficient and friendly but the empty dining room told a story.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank SaintRP9
Siobhan H, Manager at Temple Gate Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Rocky1690,
Thank you for posting your feedback following your visit to the hotel. We welcome all constructive criticism as it allows us to build on our strengths and look into any issues that may surface. Thankfully the vast majority of feedback from our guests is very positive and in general Trip Advisor comments are testament to this. However it is with regret that I read your rather negative comments. We take all feedback seriously and regret that we did not meet with your expectations. As a recipient of the AA Rosette Award since 1996, it is clear that we were not performing to the usual standard and for that I sincerely apologise. I have revised your feedback in detail with the Chef and his team. In relation to the “good” I will pass on your comments to the staff. Thank you again for taking the trouble to write the review. It is most helpful to us to rectify when we have fallen short. I do hope you will give us the opportunity in the future to restore your faith in Temple Gate Hotel.
Sales & Marketing Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ennis
The Old Ground
The Inn at Dromoland
The Inn at Dromoland
#2 of 2 in Newmarket-on-Fergus
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,088 reviews

Been to Temple Gate Hotel? Share your experiences!