“Nice Hotel / Lovely Staff”
Review of The Old Ground

The Old Ground
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Ennis
Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 1 night friends getaway. Hotel was very busy over the weekend but you didn't feel like it was busy. Rooms are big and they try to keep them updated. Only gripe is our mattress was way past used and was springy. Not great for the back! Overall really nice hotel and if in Ennis again I'd happily stay here. Food was great too! Lovely lounge areas for family's/groups to get together!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Nursetraveller10

Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights after a not so great stay in sister hotel in Cork City. From the moment we arrived it was such a nicer experience from the welcoming smell of an open fire to the friendly staff who knew our booking and didn't try to over charge us. Our rooms were a great size. Bedroom was clean a little dated but overall we liked it. View was not good from the room. Bathroom was also a good size but could have done with a little work. Shower divider needed cleaning and the bin should have been replaced long before this stay. They are working on the bedrooms as we were informed by a sign in lift so hopefully our room on the 5th floor was not done yet well the bathroom anyway. We ate in the bar for lunch it was lovely and staff are very nice. Breakfast was lovely both mornings. Overall enjoyed this hotel even with the bathroom. We would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sinduf
Reviewed March 26, 2014

We recently celebrated a family member's 70th birthday in the Town Hall restaurant. The ambience and atmosphere is very friendly and warm. All the dishes we chose were fabulous and there was plenty of variety on the menu to cater for all tastes in the group. Our waitress was very nice, efficient and attentive to our every need, as were the management. Everyone really enjoyed the night and it was made more special by choosing the Town Hall

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Thanks to all the staff at Old Ground for making our stay so relaxing and enjoyable, compliments on the wonderful selection of
food, in both restaurant, bar and the Town Hall. Our room was so comfortable, tasteful relaxing decor, and most important, spotlessly clean. Great value for midweek break, so I will definitely be recommending to my over 50's friends who can travel midweek, remember we are in that new category "Active Over 50's"

Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed March 23, 2014

My husband and I spent three nights over the St Patrick's weekend in the old ground hotel.From check in to check out we found the staff to be extremely friendly and helpful. The food was absolutely delicious,breakfast offers a wonderful choice and the treacle bread and scones are a lovely addition. We also dined in the restaurant and found a delicious and varied menu on offer.would highly recommend.We were however a little disappointed with our room.It was quite small and didn't have a
bath.We were at the end of a corridor which meant we had an awful lot of people passing our door day and night.Our sleep was interrupted each night we were there and there was no soundproofing whatsoever.The level of noise outside our door is
something we have never encountered in a hotel before. Our room number was 216. We really enjoyed our stay but we wished
We had gotten one of the larger rooms that others had raved about in their reviewes about the hotel!!

Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed March 14, 2014

Okay so I live in the area and why oh why would I stay in a hotel? the answer is I didn't - our friends did and though I know I cannot review their stay (though they absolutely loved it) I can review the breakfast because we joined them. It was marvellous! Staff so well trained, attentive but not familiar, kind but not curious. I feel If I had arrived in my dressing gown they would still only have paid attention to my breakfast order. I'm vegetarian, though I do eat eggs, and I had poached eggs on brioche with spinach that was to die for! The buffet was fresh, the croissants still warm and the coffee was flowing (smooth and strong, not bitter). I really cannot recommend it highly enough. One of the guests (a family member of ours) has a mobility issue and said the room she was given was one of the best she has had. I'll be recommending The Old Ground!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 8, 2014

Stayed for weekend in February - no sign of recession at the Old Ground. The place was buzzing, and rightly so, lovely staff, the food was top notch, and very reasonable. Traditional Irish music on both nights in the bar. Have nothing to complain about just two small observations. The car park on arrival was choc o block, saw a poor man trying to get out of a space, inching forward & back for about 10 minutes like the scene from Austin Powers. Secondly, I like a nice powerful shower as much as the next person, but my word, the shower would take your skin off. Thought there must be a way of lowering the pressure, asked at reception and they got someone to check with me, and thats just the way it is. Anyway, not complaining, had a lovely weekend away 'just the two of us' and will be back. Found the local people in Ennis so friendly, made me wonder would people in my own town be as nice to strangers, I hope so!

Room Tip: We had room 202, overlooks the car park, had asked for a quiet room, don't know if this was the...