“Town Hall Restaurant is great for fine dining in a lovely atmosphere”
Review of The Old Ground

The Old Ground
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Ennis
Clare Island, Ireland
“Town Hall Restaurant is great for fine dining in a lovely atmosphere”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

We recently celebrated a family member's 70th birthday in the Town Hall restaurant. The ambience and atmosphere is very friendly and warm. All the dishes we chose were fabulous and there was plenty of variety on the menu to cater for all tastes in the group. Our waitress was very nice, efficient and attentive to our every need, as were the management. Everyone really enjoyed the night and it was made more special by choosing the Town Hall

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
Kilkenny
Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

Thanks to all the staff at Old Ground for making our stay so relaxing and enjoyable, compliments on the wonderful selection of
food, in both restaurant, bar and the Town Hall. Our room was so comfortable, tasteful relaxing decor, and most important, spotlessly clean. Great value for midweek break, so I will definitely be recommending to my over 50's friends who can travel midweek, remember we are in that new category "Active Over 50's"

Stayed March 2014
Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I spent three nights over the St Patrick's weekend in the old ground hotel.From check in to check out we found the staff to be extremely friendly and helpful. The food was absolutely delicious,breakfast offers a wonderful choice and the treacle bread and scones are a lovely addition. We also dined in the restaurant and found a delicious and varied menu on offer.would highly recommend.We were however a little disappointed with our room.It was quite small and didn't have a
bath.We were at the end of a corridor which meant we had an awful lot of people passing our door day and night.Our sleep was interrupted each night we were there and there was no soundproofing whatsoever.The level of noise outside our door is
something we have never encountered in a hotel before. Our room number was 216. We really enjoyed our stay but we wished
We had gotten one of the larger rooms that others had raved about in their reviewes about the hotel!!

Stayed March 2014
Clare, West of Ireland
Reviewed March 14, 2014

Okay so I live in the area and why oh why would I stay in a hotel? the answer is I didn't - our friends did and though I know I cannot review their stay (though they absolutely loved it) I can review the breakfast because we joined them. It was marvellous! Staff so well trained, attentive but not familiar, kind but not curious. I feel If I had arrived in my dressing gown they would still only have paid attention to my breakfast order. I'm vegetarian, though I do eat eggs, and I had poached eggs on brioche with spinach that was to die for! The buffet was fresh, the croissants still warm and the coffee was flowing (smooth and strong, not bitter). I really cannot recommend it highly enough. One of the guests (a family member of ours) has a mobility issue and said the room she was given was one of the best she has had. I'll be recommending The Old Ground!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Ireland
Reviewed March 8, 2014

Stayed for weekend in February - no sign of recession at the Old Ground. The place was buzzing, and rightly so, lovely staff, the food was top notch, and very reasonable. Traditional Irish music on both nights in the bar. Have nothing to complain about just two small observations. The car park on arrival was choc o block, saw a poor man trying to get out of a space, inching forward & back for about 10 minutes like the scene from Austin Powers. Secondly, I like a nice powerful shower as much as the next person, but my word, the shower would take your skin off. Thought there must be a way of lowering the pressure, asked at reception and they got someone to check with me, and thats just the way it is. Anyway, not complaining, had a lovely weekend away 'just the two of us' and will be back. Found the local people in Ennis so friendly, made me wonder would people in my own town be as nice to strangers, I hope so!

Room Tip: We had room 202, overlooks the car park, had asked for a quiet room, don't know if this was the...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Wheaton, Illinois
Reviewed March 7, 2014

The story behind the name of this hotel is that when one of the Lords came back to Ireland after being gone a long time, he was greeted with "Welcome back to the Old Ground". It seems that several hundred years later, the staff wants you to feel exactly the same way. Each and every person we dealt with was so warm and welcoming, and couldn't do enough to help you and make your stay better. It's a charming place, right in the center of a little old Irish town. Music in the hotel and in the pubs down the street was outstanding! There is, of course, no air conditioning, but they did provide a fan.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
MaryGleeson, General Manager at The Old Ground, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Thank you so much for such a positive review -our team really appreciate that you would take the time to do so. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay - I am sorry that we had not got you into an air conditioned room as over 50% of the hotel now has this facility.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back and that you enjoyed the rest of your holiday.
Andover, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 5, 2014

I love this hotel. Ironically most small town centre hotels are not good, but this is an exception. I love it here especially the food in the Town Hall. Staff excellent, breakfasts cooked to order and not just your average 'full Irish' - the smoothie is not to be missed. Drinks in the bar are a bit pricey though, I think, but a good mix of clientele means you can find company if you want it. Oh and if you have time and are after a bit of luxury - log fires and big, soft comfy sofas in th lounge areas. No complaints here, it is, quite simply, perfect.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank lauran1902
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ennis
Hotel Woodstock
#1 of 2 in Newmarket-on-Fergus
Treacys West County Conference & Leisure Hotel
Ashford Court Boutique Hotel
Auburn Lodge Hotel & Leisure Centre

Been to The Old Ground? Share your experiences!