“Lovely Hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Ennis
Dublin, Ireland
“Lovely Hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2008

The Old Ground is a lovely hotel, right in the centre of Ennis which makes it difficult to drive to with the one-way road system! Parking is limited at the hotel expecially if there is a wedding on!
The hotel is quite old as you would expect, the rooms are very nicely furnished with all modern amenities. The rooms are not as clean as you would expect from this type of hotel. There was a bay window in our rooms and underneath the cushion was filthy, also the bathroom needed attention. The bar in the hotel is very lively, there is a lovely restaurant beside the hotel also. Breakfast was lovely.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Cleanliness in room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
Ararat, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2008

The Old Ground Hotel in Ennis is a beautiful old hotel. It has well appointed rooms, lovely siting rooms down stairs and the two restaurants we tried of the three connected to the hotel were very good. Enjoyed our stay very much.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — View of the back of the hotel from our room
Stayed June 2008
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2008

After traveling the Irish countryside for a week my teenage daughter and I checked into the Old Ground Hotel in Ennis for our last two nights. The Old Ground Hotel is one of those lovely gracious old hotels that was a pleasure to be a guest at. Set in the heart of Ennis the hotel with its pretty park like entrance and big comfortable couches feels like a country home. In true Irish spirit the staff was friendly and helpful with a cheerful hello in the morning as they happily provided us with maps and information for a day excursion and answered all of our questions. The bar, Poets Corner, had great food with an excellent staff and the hotels Town Hall bistro serves as a coffee shop in the morning and full restaurant in the evening. There the delicious scones and shortbread cookies were a perfect mid-morning treat after walking the pretty streets of Ennis. Our room was spacious, tastefully decorated and complete with amenities including a CD/ radio player, which made my teenager happy. Our quiet room had a lovely sitting area with TV and plenty of space to unwind - we could have easily stayed for a week. Ennis is the perfect place to base oneself to explore the West of Ireland north and south and one would be very happy to come home to the Old Ground at the end of the day. I look forward to my return.

Stayed July 2008
N.Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2008

My partner and I stayed at The Old Ground hotel for one night and we were very happy with the room and service from all the staff! After travelling for for 4hours 45 mins we very happy on have the staff went out of there way to look after us! The bar was really busy and great craic! The bedroom and bathroom were lovely and really clean! Its location is just perfect! The breakfast was lovely and fresh and very nice! The car park was also good and safe! We had a really good night!

• Liked — The bar and the bedroom and the shower was good
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Westmeath, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2008

We (husband & I) stayed in the Old Ground for a weekend break just a few weeks past. I specifically asked for a newly renovated room and the one we received overlooked the street and was on the second floor. I was a little worried that there would be street noice,however we spent both evenings in the lovely bar so slept very soundly as a result! We were however awoken by the church bells as other reviewers have mentioned, but this is a small price to pay for a great location in the centre of Ennis.

We had dinner on both nights in the Town Hall Restuarant attached to the hotel rather than the somewhat dated and old fashioned hotel restaurant, the Town Hall was great on both nights and well worth a visit in it's own right. Breakfast was only ok, a little dull with nothing on offer except the usual full Irish, very poor selection of cheese, yogurts etc. We ordered breakfast in bed on Sunday and that was worth it for the extra lie on.

Worth a mention is the bar, which had a traditional session on both nights which draws the crowd and was fun, the US tourists in particular enjoyed it.

Overall we enjoyed our stay and would return, while insisting on a newly decorated room and dinner in the Town Hall.

• Liked — Excellent, comfy bed , bar and food in restaurant next door
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
trucefornow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2008

I haven't been at the old ground in nearly 15 years. It was under different ownership at the time (I found out later) and this was my first time back here since. The difference is increrdible. The exterior is similar but there has been new floors added and a landscaped garden. This place was known for been old world but alot of work has been done over the years.
We were met at the front door by a man who helped with our bags to the reception. I asked the receptionist who he was and was told he was the OWNER! What hotels do you go to and are met at the door by the owner who helps with luggage. I love it.
We were given a room on the ground floor and it must have been a new room because they were laid out lovely with a big comfortable bed. We had a quick snack in poets and shortly after irish music started and the atmosphere was great. We ate in the town hall the next night and thought the food was plentiful and the staff fairly pleasant.
Breakfast the next morning was good but crowded but thats no ones fault.
The hotel is in a great location as you literally step out onto the main street and away you go. The car parking is tight but we found a space. And another reviwer mentioned the church bells, well, they are loud but they sound great.
If I had any idea that this is the town ennis had "grown" into I would have come back alot sooner.

• Liked — The "Concierge"
  • Disliked — tight car parking but its only a small thing!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank trucefornow
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2008

I booked this hotel for convenience as we had a funeral to go to in the Cathedral across the road. We were booked in for just the one night and arrived pretty late as we had to travel from Cork.

I had checked the hotel website before I booked and saw that all the rooms, according to the site, had been refurbished. When we checked in and went to our room we were delighted, it was beautiful, had big flat screen tv etc BUT there was already someone in it! We couldn't believe it, luckily they weren't there when we walked in but all their stuff was there. So we went back downstairs and told the receptionist who then kept asking me was I sure there was someone in it, yes I was sure etc etc, this went on for a few minutes and finally got another key.

Off we went again to our next room. This time we were not happy when we opened the door. It was in a part of the hotel that had clearly not seen a lick of paint for some time and the room was frankly, very shabby, a million miles from our first room. Now we were only there to lay our heads but I was so annoyed at being given this room which had not been refurbished as the website said so went downstairs again to the receptionist who gave us another room eventually. It was about 11.30pm at this stage.

This room was tiny but beautifully decorated, had all the extras and the bathroom was gorgeous so we were delighted and settled in and watched tv for awhile. When we turned off the tv to go to sleep the trouble started....the noise! It was like trying to sleep beside an engine or something. We looked out the window and saw all the hotels vents were right outside. It was so loud and every 20 minutes or so it picked up agear and got even louder. Usually I would sleep through a storm but I just couldn't with this noise.

I eventually got up at about 3am after a few hours of tossing and turning and went down to ask the security guard if we could just move to another bed for a few hours. He was really nice but didn't have any rooms but said he'd turn off the air conditioning vents. An hour later the noise was still there so I went back down and he hadn't been able to find the problem, I don't think he believed me so I brought him up to hear it and he told me to complain in the morning. The long and short of it is I didn't sleep at all and was especially upset as someone in the family had passed away and we really needed a good nights sleep to face the funeral.

The next morning I was hesitant to complain as I felt silly so we went down for breakfast. It was ok, not great and wasn't the usual hotel buffet but table service. The head waitress was lovely to us but terrible to her staff, kept loudly giving out to them which I find so rude, the whole room could hear her and at one point one of the youngest staff members looked like she was crying.

After that I felt even more let down so I asked to see the manager who was very nice and receptive to my complaints. I didn't mention the waitress incident but told him how upset we were about paying for a good nights sleep that we didn't get! He said they were trying to work out where the noise was coming from and couldn't. Eventually he offered me a refund which I was happy to accept.

Two weeks later he rings me saying they can't refund the money as the website I booked through won't refund them etc etc so he offered me a complimentary stay another time. At this stage I was fed up of waiting for a refund so i just accepted this offer.

I couldn't fault the staff (with the exception of that waitress), they were all very accomodating but the room situationa dn everything that happened before really annoyed me and ruined our stay. We were absolutley exhausted instead of feeling rested and very angry about the situation. I do appreciate that they have offered me a voucher and will return to see if things have improved.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ennis
Hotel Woodstock
The Inn at Dromoland
#2 of 2 in Newmarket-on-Fergus
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,024 reviews
Treacys West County Conference & Leisure Hotel

Been to The Old Ground? Share your experiences!