“Terrible night at the Old Ground!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Old Ground

The Old Ground
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Ennis
Melbourne, Australia
“Terrible night at the Old Ground!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2008

I booked this hotel for convenience as we had a funeral to go to in the Cathedral across the road. We were booked in for just the one night and arrived pretty late as we had to travel from Cork.

I had checked the hotel website before I booked and saw that all the rooms, according to the site, had been refurbished. When we checked in and went to our room we were delighted, it was beautiful, had big flat screen tv etc BUT there was already someone in it! We couldn't believe it, luckily they weren't there when we walked in but all their stuff was there. So we went back downstairs and told the receptionist who then kept asking me was I sure there was someone in it, yes I was sure etc etc, this went on for a few minutes and finally got another key.

Off we went again to our next room. This time we were not happy when we opened the door. It was in a part of the hotel that had clearly not seen a lick of paint for some time and the room was frankly, very shabby, a million miles from our first room. Now we were only there to lay our heads but I was so annoyed at being given this room which had not been refurbished as the website said so went downstairs again to the receptionist who gave us another room eventually. It was about 11.30pm at this stage.

This room was tiny but beautifully decorated, had all the extras and the bathroom was gorgeous so we were delighted and settled in and watched tv for awhile. When we turned off the tv to go to sleep the trouble started....the noise! It was like trying to sleep beside an engine or something. We looked out the window and saw all the hotels vents were right outside. It was so loud and every 20 minutes or so it picked up agear and got even louder. Usually I would sleep through a storm but I just couldn't with this noise.

I eventually got up at about 3am after a few hours of tossing and turning and went down to ask the security guard if we could just move to another bed for a few hours. He was really nice but didn't have any rooms but said he'd turn off the air conditioning vents. An hour later the noise was still there so I went back down and he hadn't been able to find the problem, I don't think he believed me so I brought him up to hear it and he told me to complain in the morning. The long and short of it is I didn't sleep at all and was especially upset as someone in the family had passed away and we really needed a good nights sleep to face the funeral.

The next morning I was hesitant to complain as I felt silly so we went down for breakfast. It was ok, not great and wasn't the usual hotel buffet but table service. The head waitress was lovely to us but terrible to her staff, kept loudly giving out to them which I find so rude, the whole room could hear her and at one point one of the youngest staff members looked like she was crying.

After that I felt even more let down so I asked to see the manager who was very nice and receptive to my complaints. I didn't mention the waitress incident but told him how upset we were about paying for a good nights sleep that we didn't get! He said they were trying to work out where the noise was coming from and couldn't. Eventually he offered me a refund which I was happy to accept.

Two weeks later he rings me saying they can't refund the money as the website I booked through won't refund them etc etc so he offered me a complimentary stay another time. At this stage I was fed up of waiting for a refund so i just accepted this offer.

I couldn't fault the staff (with the exception of that waitress), they were all very accomodating but the room situationa dn everything that happened before really annoyed me and ruined our stay. We were absolutley exhausted instead of feeling rested and very angry about the situation. I do appreciate that they have offered me a voucher and will return to see if things have improved.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
Mitch1978
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2008

We stayed at the OG Hotel on the weekend of May 24th 2008 for a wedding. We plumped for one of the King Suites and given some of the ropey reviews recently I was a bit apprehensive, but in the end for no reason at all. The room was huge, the bed amazing and the bathroom finished to a high standard. There were one or two things missing that you might expect - a minibar for example, and bathrobes - but minor details and no detriment to our stay. Staff were friendly and breakfast also good. My one minor issue and hardly their fault - the OG is right by Ennis Cathedral which starts bell ringing on the hour at 8am on Sundays. Lie in impossible. For those with earplugs I would fully recommend this hotel

• Liked — room was huge
  • Disliked — bloody church bells
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2008

i stayed in the old ground hotel recently with my girlfriend and we loved it! service was excellent and the room we stayed in was superb, we booked directly through the hotel and stayed on a 2 night package with a dinner included
on arrival we were greeted by friendly reception staff and nothing was a problem, we ate in the hotel restaurant on the first night as it was part of our package deal and everything thing was perfect staff were friendly food was great and again nothing was a problem for the staff
the room we stayed in was on the 5th floor and was amazing two big king beds and loads of space obviously one of the newer rooms.
i wouldn't hesitate recommending this hotel as it more than met our expectations with good friendly service and superior rooms!!

• Liked — friendly staff & room
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
kerry
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2008

I was looking forward to going back to Ennis for the first time in years and going to the old ground hotel. I have to say that I was a little off put to see the place looking like it was under construction but recpetion reassured me that the works were just about finished and it would not disturb me and they were right because nothing about this place is in any way disturbing. The staff are so profesional and witty particularly in poets Corner and the restaurant with the breakfast lady who is a throwback to the old waitresses of old with her "How are you love" when you come in a french man who is very funny. My wife loved him. The bar was such a great place to be on a Saturday night with the great music the eclectic mix of patrons and it didn't look like it phased the staff at all as they still had time to talk a little even though they were busy. The porter who brought our bags to the room on check in deserves a mention too I can't remember his name but he is a young irish man who gave great advise on what to do in ennis.
The room was lovely the bathroom beautifully appointed and the bed the best i have slept on in ages. I can't wait to come back to the "OG" soon.

• Liked — staff
  • Disliked — had to go home
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Boston
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2008

When flying out of Shannon, Ennis is the place to stay, but skip The Old Ground. The Grande Dame needs a total refurbish.
I will say this. The king bed was the best in all our Irish travels, but the rest was a mess. Where to start. The entire hotel needs a do over. This was out 2nd visit in 2 years and stay in the same room-514...great bed and view, but the bed lights are still broken. The room smells horribly of smoke and the dresser drware was very warped. We paid good money to sit at a breakfat table with coffee stained lines on both mornings. The dining room is very pretty, but the staff lacks culture or manners.
The location is prime and the pub is great.

Stayed April 2008
Atlanta, GA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2008

We used Ennis as our departure city prior to a flight out of Shannon. We thought we'd spend a little for our last night in Ireland. We enjoyed Ennis, but I certainly wouldn't bother with this hotel. It was by far our worst lodging experience of 4 places during our visit to Ireland. Rooms were worn, dark, and noisy. Getting to our rooms required us going down some stairs, up some stairs, through 4 doors. No direct access with elevator. We had to haul our own luggage from the car. There was clearly some renovation going on, but I'm afraid it won't salvage poor service.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank crparn
New Hampshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2008

My fiancee and I traveled to Ireland in February for a vacation and except for our stay at the Old Ground Hotel had an amazing time. This hotel is simply falling apart.
Prior to booking this hotel, I read some reviews and also visited the hotel's website. Based on that information, I decided to book. Bad decision. This was our last night in Ireland before returning to the US and were really hoping for a great stay.
Even upon walking into the hotel, I didn't feel great about it. The lobby was small and check-in was lengthy. We arrived after 5pm however, there were no clean rooms available and the check-in had to scramble to find an available room. There is one elevator for the property, enough for two people and two suitcases, literally. When we got to our hallway, it looked like we arrived into 1960 with no upkeep. Our (very small) room stunk of cigarettes. The bath and bed linens looked very old and rugged. The bath looked like a hospital bath with old and broken tiles. The grout was chipped.
To top off the bad points of this hotel, the walls are paper thin. I have never been able to hear, until our stay here, actual conversations through doors and walls. All night I heard people talking in the hallway, opening and closing of doors. And to make it even worse, I heard two people in the room above start a bath together at 3am. I listened to every horrible sound that came from that room for TWO HOURS!

Everything was run down at this hotel. NOTHING pictured on the website is as it actually is. Maybe, the hotel is in the early stages of a renovation, however the website does not state that you may be paying a premium price for this hotel, but will be staying in something that is not even comparable to a Motel 6. Do not stay here!

• Liked — the tavern/restaurant attached to the hotel
  • Disliked — stinky room
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank redjetster
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ennis
Hotel Woodstock
The Inn at Dromoland
#2 of 2 in Newmarket-on-Fergus
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,024 reviews
Treacys West County Conference & Leisure Hotel

Been to The Old Ground? Share your experiences!