“Friendly Hotel, great breakfast, fantastic staff”
Review of The Old Ground

The Old Ground
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Ennis
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Have stayed here 4 times in the last 18 months. We would not normally keep coming back to the same place, but this is like a home away from home. During the summer it is ideally situated so close to Lahinch. Another plus is the Town Hall dining room beside it. Only one suggestion, diversify and increase the wine list, Ennis always seems to be buzzing

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Old Ground

Reviewed February 11, 2013

First off the Old Ground is a lovely hotel great location and the food in the Restaurant and Bar is fabulous
We stayed here Saturday 2nd Feb and there was the All Ireland Darts competition on in Ennis that weekend so the hotel was fully booked
The residents bar stayed open till round 6am and people were drinking in the lobby till all hours
As we were staying in a room above the main door guests were going out smoking here half the night making a lot of drunken noise and kept us and our 3 kids wide awake all night there were people going up and down the corridors all night banging doors and in the rooms there were parties we could hear everything
On check out i handed in my 2 key cards and wasn't asked how our stay was
I was that annoyed and tired i said nothing and left
There may be some of these issues beyond there control however charging €200 for what we got was a disgrace
We had a long drive home Sunday and having not any sleep what so ever made it longer

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Dakar50
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Having eaten in the "poets corner" i have to say that this is possibly one of the best places in Ennis to eat . Generally Mid- week( when we dined) you will be lucky to get a table as it is always busy ... good sign of an premises !!! The food and service are second to none ... there is no "airs" and "graces" here ... all the staff are interested in is good service and please the customer . The bar food menu is pretty big and there is always a good list of specials ...we will be back and keep up the good work. well done

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I organised to have my friend's hen party in Ennis last weekend (Feb 1st and 2nd) and we had an absolutely wonderful stay in this beautiful hotel.
Our rooms were all close together (all spacious, comfortable and beautifully decorated by the way!) and the food and service in the restaurant were just fantastic. I just can't say enough great things about our stay!
I want to say a special Thank you to the restaurant staff on Friday night. Myself and my friend got caught in traffic following an oil spill en route from Dublin. As a result we were almost TWO HOURS late for dinner, But when we arrived, we were still served our delicious main courses and dessert!We were so grateful!The service was just first class!!
I really can't wait to make a return visit in the very near future :-)

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank TrishNDub
Reviewed January 29, 2013

My sister and I are busy working mothers. In need of some time away we plotted and planned and decided on a weekend in the Old Ground Hotel in Ennis. As we arrived late we settled into 'The Poet's Bar' where we had tasty bar food washed down by good, creamy Guiness. My food was so good that a (handsome) guy at the next table leaned over to have a look at it and ask me about it. The following day after a busy morning shopping in Ennis (it is the boutique capital of Ireland after all!) we headed back to the Town Hall restaurant in the hotel for lunch. The lunch was great, there was a lively buzz and the staff were friendly and attentive. It was so good that we booked for the evening again.
The Old Ground is a lovely hotel to chill out in, we wandered around looking at the art on display, we sat in the residents lounge and had Irish coffees in front of a roaring log fire, we listened to the rain and read the Sunday supplements. It was a magical weekend and I cannot wait to go back.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Fleurini
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Stayed here over the weekend and was very impressed. Staff at reception were both friendly and helpful, ate in the bar, we had the burger - it was like a whole cow! Make sure you're hungry if you order it but tasted excellent as did the chicken. The beds are beyond comfortable and so big! On top of this the location is perfect. I will def be coming back to this hotel!

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Shivster123
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Firstly I must say parking is very hard to find and the hotel is next door to a school but these can be overlooked because the overall standard of the hotel so high.
I travel to Ennis now and again for business mostly I stay with friends but if my girlfriend is with me we stay in a hotel.
This hotel has been by the best in Ennis for a long time, very well run and very busy but the best thing about this hotel is the food which is top class.
They have barfood, the hotel restaurant which looks a bit stuffy or the Town cafe which is fantastic.
When back in Ennis I know where I will be staying anymore.

Room Tip: Ask for a new room at the front
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Michael H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ennis
Hotel Woodstock
Ashford Court Boutique Hotel
The Inn at Dromoland
The Inn at Dromoland
#2 of 2 in Newmarket-on-Fergus

Been to The Old Ground? Share your experiences!