“Lovely old style hotel would highly recommend”
Review of Old Ground Hotel

Old Ground Hotel
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Ennis
Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here recently to break up a journey between galway and cork. We had only planned 1 night but we loved this old style hotel so we stayed 2 nights. The location is perfect in the centre of Ennis! There was plenty of parking. There was a wedding on the 1st night we stayed and our room was facing onto the street but we didn't hear a thing. Food was tasty and service was excellent, there was live music in the bar both nights which was great. Even though this hotel is old it has great charm and I'll come back again to stay.

• Stayed: December 2012
Write a ReviewReviews (1,675)

Reviewed December 10, 2012

We came for our friends wedding and were welcomed by the helpful staff on arrival, we stayed in room 106 which had been nicely refurbished, and we were able to access the free wifi in our room and throughout the hotel.
The attached bar was busy and welcoming and had live music for the weekend we were there, breakfast was continental and also a cooked order was taken along with this.
Had a great time whilst we were there and we're very well looked after by all he staff, the food was great as was the drink (black stuff)
Even had online check in facility to aid our returning flight
A great location for Ennis as through the attached pub door your onto the main road

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 7, 2012

We stayed at The Old Ground for two nights. The staff was helpful and very nice. We enjoyed the breakfast very much. However, some remodeling was taking place during our stay which made it difficult to get back and forth to our room. My father is handicapped and it was difficult for him to maneuver the stairs which was necessary because of the painting. The sitting areas were lovely and did afford some privacy. We also enjoyed being so close to all the shops and pubs and will probably give this hotel another try.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
MaryGleeson, General Manager at Old Ground Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

Dear Kim,

Thank you for taking the time to give us valuable feedback. I am so sorry that we did not notice that your father had difficulty on the stairs. We should have allocated him a room near the elevator and he could have been whisked to the floor. We actually have a special room for those with a physical difficulty that is close to the elevator. We have done some extensive redecorating of our corridors and had tried to ensure that guests were located on a different floor while this work was going on. I assure you of our very best attention on another visit.

Reviewed December 5, 2012

Returned for my second visit to the Old Ground Hotel last weekend and happy to report that it was as beautiful and comfortable as my first visit and the staff were as helpful as ever.

This time around, we are in the Brendan O'Regan room, the main restaurant in the hotel and have to say the food was brilliant, as was the service.

Stayed in the suite in the old manor house part of the hotel - beautifully furnished, spotlessly clean and one of the most comfy beds ever! Had a super night's sleep.

Overall I would highly recommend this hotel - one of my favourites.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Have stayed a couple of times recently. Very impressed with the whole package. Rooms spacious and comfortable, bar and bar food top notch. Breakfasts cooked to order - no hot buffet (hurrah !). Restaurant is well above the standard you might expect. The three sitting areas are wonderful spaces - cosy and relatively private. All round good value for a great package.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 27, 2012

We stayed in the Old Ground Hotel last weekend and had a wonderful time. The hotel is situated in the centre of Ennis which is a charming town full of lovely shops, pubs and restaurants.
The hotel is a beautiful old building full of "olde worlde" character, lovely log fire in reception and lots of comfortable seating areas. The staff were so friendly and efficient, the room was lovely; clean comfortable and nicely decorated. Breakfast was delicious and served by pleasant and cheery staff.The location is ideal for exploring this lovely vibrant town and we will certainly return.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NoelnGeraldine
Reviewed November 23, 2012

I have stayed in the Old Ground Hotel on many occasions the last being Sunday 18th November. I Booked a Package Deal of Two Single Rooms which included Bed, Breakfast and Dinner. I cannot fault the friendly welcome myself and my Mother received on arrival. The Rooms were lovely, spacious, clean and beautifully decorated. As it was my Mother's Birthday, we were also provided with a bowl of fruit, Mineral water, dressing gown and a Birthday Letter in her room. The breakfast in the morning was very enjoyable with an excellent menu choice for both Continental and Cooked Breakfasts. However, I cannot say the same for the meal we had in Townhall the night before. The Starter and the dessert were average, but certainly nothing to complain about. But both Main Courses were very, very poor. I actually had to send my Main Course back as the Fillet of Beef I had ordered was so tough, to which I was informed was my fault as I had asked for it to be cooked Medium Well! The Second serving was no better and I was unable to eat any of it! What a very disappointing experience on which would have been a perfect stay. I'm sure however, my Mother and I will stay at the Old Ground again, but will not be dining in the Townhall!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
MaryGleeson, General Manager at Old Ground Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Dear Ms. Renehan

Thank you for visiting the hotel to celebrate such a special event with us. We are delighted to note that you enjoyed so many aspects of our property. We sincerely apologise for the issues that you highlighted in relation to your dinner. Our food especially our excellent steak has a superb reputation and we will have a very serious discussion with our suppliers and kitchen team to ensure there is not a repeat of this. I hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you again and assure you of our very best attention.

Mary

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ennis
Hotel Woodstock
#2 of 2 in Newmarket-on-Fergus
Bunratty Castle Hotel
Bunratty Castle Hotel
#2 of 2 in Bunratty

Been to Old Ground Hotel? Share your experiences!