“Classic Irish Hospitality--take a step back in time--just wonderful!”
Review of The Old Ground

The Old Ground
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Ennis
Reviewed August 22, 2011

Charming, old fashioned in the most wonderful way, we have been going to the Old Ground for years and I just never thought of writing a review, although I tell everyone I know to stay there!! We just came back from a marvelous stay and I had to write this. It is just the nicest place to stay!! The women and men at the reception desk could not possibly be more helpful, whether it is giving directions, confirming a reservation or checking an airline for you. It seems like every single person who works there is pleasant, helpful, courteous, and just plain nice, from the young man who takes up the bags to the bar servers, waitpersons, and the lovely night man Joe Shannon. The lobby is filled with comfy sofas and chairs and a wonderful fireplace, people linger until the wee hours chatting and having a drink. The pub is absolutely, one of my favorite in the world, warm, welcoming, and the traditional music is amazing. If you have the good luck to be there when a young man named Michael ( Blackie ) O'Connell is playing the uilleann pipe at a "session" in the pub you will be blown away at way they rock traditional music and you never know, sometimes someone will just get up and do a step dance or set dancing. When we were there a week ago a seven year old was playing the bodhran, a fiddle, then got up put on tap shoes and danced!! All spontaneous!! And everyone in the pub is having such a good time, you just meet the nicest people. No one is alone, everyone just strikes up conversation with whomever is near them!! All of the food at the Old Ground is excellent, pub fare in the pub, lovely old world dining in the O'Brien room, or the newer Town Hall, once again, service with a smile, and excellent food! The breakfast is great and is usually included in the price of the room. And here is a very important plus! The bedding is all wonderful and new, crisp white sheets and down comforters and thick plush, cushy mattresses. The Old Ground is perfectly situated for touring this amazing part of Ireland, and enjoying the fun of this busy, enchanting town of Ennis. Don't miss the antiques at Honans, or the little Ennis Gourmet store for a lunch, and if you forget rain gear stop into and back into time at the Ennis Cash Company on O'Connell street. Have tea in the garden of the Old Ground and the sound of the church bells will surely entice you to light a candle in the St. Peter and Paul Cathedral accross the street from the hotel. Great hotel, wonderful town, excellent service and hospitality all around.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ellen080

Reviewed August 21, 2011

Stayed here one night on good value deal that provided dinner, bed & breakfast for €125.

Check in/out was very fast and efficient. Breakfast was also very good with a wide variety of food. If there was to be an improvement it would be to add fresh pineapple cubes, and muesli - some floury stuff was there but you couldn't call it muesli.

Room was quite good, bathroom very good with nice rainwater shower. One serious inadequacy was that there was no bottled water in the room - this is bad because it's easy to get dehydrated - as it happened I had brought in a litre myself and was OK.

Hotel itself is very nice - you cab have a pint at a table in the garden and it's very peaceful, and the bar itself is lively and the service good. Also appeared to be good and substantial bar food. Very good restaurant 'Town Hall' situated beside hotel.

There is a reading room/lounge near the reception area which is very comfortable and peaceful. WiFi is available free and is very fast with no difficulties setting up - best I've found in any hotel I've stayed in.

To find the hotel by car you must have a gps in the car - Ennis is full of narrow one way streets.

Dinner was a bit old fashioned with mainly older crowd - middle aged +. It was quite substantial but took a long time to get through - I was there from 18:30 to 20:30 and didn't bother to wait longer for the coffee. I had stuffed chicken with side vegetables, all of which were excellent with one proviso - the stuffed chicken seemed to have been stuffed with dried mashed potato, and the chicken itself was sitting in a bed of mash. I think the mash should have been omitted and the chicken stuffed with something more imaginative and tasty.

Service was friendly.

There is a good Indian restaurant in Ennis called Tulsi which is worth calling into.

Ennis itself is a very pleasant town with loads of small shops to call into.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank BinDereDoneDat
Reviewed August 4, 2011

Just had a two night stay at the Old Ground with 2 American friends. Enjoyed the whole experience enormously . Breakfasts, bistro dinner and fine dining restaurant dinner were excellent. Service was first class and the food was outstanding. Spent a great night in the 'pub' area of the hotel listening to traditional Irish music. Really cannot understand some of the negative comments on here. We are not easily pleased but thought the Old Ground worth every penny ( or dollar!)

• Stayed: August 2011
3  Thank Jaydee48
MaryGleeson, General Manager at The Old Ground, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2011

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the future

Reviewed August 4, 2011

i just had another amazing weekend in this hotel with a group of my best friends, i had a delux room which is newly decorated with boutique style furniture, absolutely gorgeous. we had dinner as part of our package and have no complaints whatsoever, breakfast was gorgeous, freshly made which is nice. but the most amazing part of my weekend was when we returned from the night club on sunday night to find sharon corr and moya brennan(music royatly) sitting in the residants lounge, they allowed us to join them and they sang a few songs with us, truley amazing i thought i was hearing angels sing! i will be back to the old ground hotel in november for my honeymoon, best hotel ever:)

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank IrelandDolly

It was great that you enjoyed some special music during your visit - Sharon Corr and Moya Brennan helped make a lovely programme for RTE that night. Our hotel is popular with well known artists who also sometimes perform in Glor - our team really appreciate your positve comments and hope we soon get the opportunity to welcome you back

Reviewed August 3, 2011

Spent our first night of golf holiday here. When we checked in they had brother and I in one bed (no good). They promptly fixed and upgraded to 2 bed suite. Nice car park. Hotel is in centre of town, near all shops and pubs. Staff was very friendly and helpful...they printed off directons for us. The pub and restaurant are fantastic. The food was wonderful!!! Highly recommend and look forward to another longer stay in Ennis.

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed August 3, 2011

We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel,our room was spacious and clean.The staff were very friendly and very helpfull. The breakfast was good quality and served fresh,not buffet style which sometimes can be cold.We ate dinner in the Poets Corner bar (part of the hotel) which was good quality and very good value.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Dickie1956
Reviewed August 2, 2011

We were at a family occassion in Ennis & called the old ground hotel to get a price. Spoke to a lovely friendly Austrialian (I think) girl, who had an offer on a double room, 145 euros, 2 nights, 1 eve meal & breakfasts. Delighted with my deal I agreed. On arrival, we did have to wait for parking for a few mins, thankfully someone was pulling out. Staff very concerned on reception that my partner was waiting on a space, but thankfully he arrived into the hotel not long after. We were issued to a lovely large room at the front of the hotel.
Had dinner the night we arrived, not a great range, however as it was part of the deal 145 euros, it wasn't bad at all. Duck spring Rolls .. where was the duck. You could bearly see it, cut into squares. Lamb was delicious. However during the main course a group of women came in for a 40th Birthday and they had no problem making as much noise as possble. Party poppers going off when you least expect it. We sat right beside them... The front of house lady, very efficent, but crack a smile and look more inviting. There was a lot of young aiting staff and it was very comforting to see, young local people given the opportunity to work for the summer. After dinner, met up with the family staying in another hotel at the far end of the main street. It was walking distance but not as close as I was lead to believe. However we returned very late and had to ring the bell to be let in. The watchman was very suspiious of letting us in, but once we gave our number he allowed us thourhg. I found this starnge as we do not look like a frightening couple! As it was a warm night, we decided to leave the windows open, I had no lamp my side of the bed so did not need to worry about the flies coming in while I read, as I couldn't. Woke BRIGHT & EARLY to the sounds of the church across the road. NOWHERE have I read or heard that these bells would be ringing. On arrival down for breakfast, a very nice young friendly guy did apologise as there would be a wait.... I had time to go down to the chemist on the main street and come back and still wait... Anyway breakfst arrived, wouldn't write home about it as they say! Following morning the bells starts again.. kill me kill me now!! Also as it was an old hotel you could hear people walking in the room above you. Another resident thought it be fun to have a full blown conversation outside our door, walls not that thick.. Up for breakfast, had got a note under the door advising us to go for breakfast before nine to beat the rush... Did not appreciate that, breakfast served until ten.. Anyway took it on board and went down, there was no seating in the main room, so a lovely tall lady brought us into another room, through the bar. MUCH nicer room. Very fresh. Decided against the (mini) full irish and got pancakes instead. VERY tasty. Great choice. Not much to choose from on the continental table. Anyway on check out I went to pay, they had taken 80 at the begining of out stay as a despoit. On check out it turned out it was 145 euros EACH. I nearly died, we were on a budget. What can you say when you get a fright like that. I did question the total and was told, yes madam its 145 per person. I was in shock. Paid and left. Never to return. It was never said it was 145 per person when I was booked. NEVER said, so please question prices for here if you ever find yourself unlucky enough to stay.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank bitMeath

Thank you for taking the time to give us valuable feedback after your recent visit here - our team will discuss the issues raised and as always seek to rectify any shortcomings in the experience we offer our customers.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ennis
Hotel Woodstock
The Inn at Dromoland
The Inn at Dromoland
#2 of 2 in Newmarket-on-Fergus
Ashford Court Boutique Hotel

Been to The Old Ground? Share your experiences!