“Irish take on Italian food, but not in a good way”

Rowan Tree Cafe Bar
Ranked #6 of 109 Restaurants in Ennis
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Rowan Tree Café Bar is in the most beautiful location overlooking the river Fergus in the centre of Ennis. Our building is one of the oldest in Ennis, a former Gentleman's Club built in 1740, steeped in history and character where our high ceilings, open fire and covered riverside terrace give you an experience like no other in Town. Our large seating capacity of 120 guests and our 3 different rooms including one 25 guest private dining room and lends itself perfectly to small and large group dining, we have a variety of menu options to suit all tastes and occasions. Our team are passionate about sourcing and preparing the very best of Irish, Locally sourced and ethically produced ingredients and show the best food that Ireland has to offer, all of which is served to you with a Mediterranean style by people who take pride in the fact that food is only one of the ingredients that makes for a fantastic dining experience. We encourage our staff to be show off their own personalities while ensuring our guests are given a warm and genuine "Cead Mile Failte". The restaurants approachable staff ensures smooth service in one of Ennis's busiest and yet most relaxed establishments. Our listed building brings the warmth of old Ireland where you will dine in former dance halls and billiards rooms into the our 21st Century café bar experience with big bay windows, high ceilings, original artworks by renowned Clare artists and pitched pine floors all add to the relaxed atmosphere we try to create. There is no better way to start or finish the day then with a cup of Illy coffee or a glass of wine in hand while sitting and watching the majestic river Fergus flow by. Find us on social media by using the #rowan3
Reviewed October 20, 2013

I'm almost certain that the Rowan Tree Cafe Bar didn't intend this, but their food seemed more like what someone thinks Italian food should be like rather than knowing. I had a penne pasta with tomato-based sauce and while the serving was certainly generous, it wasn't great. It was laden with tomato sauce - there was so much of it I almost felt like the entire sauce was ketchup based. That is either lazy cooking or someone doesn't know that sauce should be made with actual tomatoes, not tomato sauce. Experience was okay but I'd go somewhere else for food if I'm ever back in Ennis.

3  Thank eowyngirl

Reviewed October 13, 2013

First time visit after being recommended to go here. Service was very slow, it was a Saturday night but seemed to be under staffed. Took a long time for our order to be taken and there was a lengthy wait between courses, Didn't bother having dessert as we were almost 2 hours having our 2 course meal.

Food was average, my sister had the black pudding starter; 3 rings of black pudding with some salad leaves. Goats cheese bruchetta was very average. I was luckiest with the Brie but still nothing special. I don't know why we were not given any bread, maybe this is the norm.

Mains were only average too, fish special was dry. Seafood pasta not worth the price while my prawn pasta was tasty but I found big lumps of garlic in it.

This place has potential, very nice location, they need to up their game

3  Thank Noreen M
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We visited this restaurant for Sunday Lunch - service was appalling - the restaurant was not busy so no excuses.
There were long delays between courses and we had all finished our tea & coffee before the desserts eventually arrived.
The waiter was chatting with people at another table for at least 15 minutes - we had to remind him about the desserts and his response was cheeky to say the least.
It's a lovely venue, food is average but this place is completely let down by poor service.

3  Thank Mary L
Reviewed September 25, 2013

The manager and staff deserve praise for allowing us to choose from the early bird menu after being a few minutes later than expected. There was no argument. The atmosphere in the rowan tree is always relaxed and the dining room is open, airy and has a unique old world charm. Looking out the river window I was struck about how grotty and dirty the back of the houses and premises on abbey street look but that's something the rowan tree can do little or nothing about. The food was enjoyable and good value for the money spent. Tortellini dish a little on the small side but this was early bird. The service was very prompt and courteous. Overall a nice night in a restaurant that is fairly informal and not pretentious.

2  Thank IomharD
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Downright hostile waitress, we came here on a busy sunny day and were turned away as if we had two heads for suggesting getting a table, this time we actually got to eat but it was awful probably one of the worst meals I've ever had and miss hostile pants was our waitress again. I ordered the super salad because I'm breastfeeding and it sounded lovely marinated chicken breast with roasted butternut squash and pomegranate seeds the salad arrived with no chicken and no pomegranate seeds but heated strawberries instead ( which was not mentioned to me ) the butternut squash was microwaved and not fully cooked at that, the waitress practically threw a plate of microwaved chicken that was tastless which I sent back because it was pricey enough as it was ( yes I did pay for it but I really didn't relish the reaction I would get from our waitress ) but needless to say we will never be back it was shocking! Ahh well! Shame because it could be lovely given the location :-(

3  Thank Roccoco21