“Great view and location but food is terrible!”

Rowan Tree Cafe Bar
Ranked #5 of 109 Restaurants in Ennis
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Rowan Tree Café Bar is in the most beautiful location overlooking the river Fergus in the centre of Ennis. Our building is one of the oldest in Ennis, a former Gentleman's Club built in 1740, steeped in history and character where our high ceilings, open fire and covered riverside terrace give you an experience like no other in Town. Our large seating capacity of 120 guests and our 3 different rooms including one 25 guest private dining room and lends itself perfectly to small and large group dining, we have a variety of menu options to suit all tastes and occasions. Our team are passionate about sourcing and preparing the very best of Irish, Locally sourced and ethically produced ingredients and show the best food that Ireland has to offer, all of which is served to you with a Mediterranean style by people who take pride in the fact that food is only one of the ingredients that makes for a fantastic dining experience. We encourage our staff to be show off their own personalities while ensuring our guests are given a warm and genuine "Cead Mile Failte". The restaurants approachable staff ensures smooth service in one of Ennis's busiest and yet most relaxed establishments. Our listed building brings the warmth of old Ireland where you will dine in former dance halls and billiards rooms into the our 21st Century café bar experience with big bay windows, high ceilings, original artworks by renowned Clare artists and pitched pine floors all add to the relaxed atmosphere we try to create. There is no better way to start or finish the day then with a cup of Illy coffee or a glass of wine in hand while sitting and watching the majestic river Fergus flow by. Find us on social media by using the #rowan3
Reviewed April 24, 2011

The food is just terrible especially the main courses! The starters are ok but the salads were over dressed which put me off! Ordered a vegetarian lasagne and it was the worst I've ever had! All it was, was sauce and pasta! No veg what so ever! Horrible! I have went a couple of times to order other things but it was still soo disappointing. The only good thing is the atmosphere and where it located! That's it!

1  Thank Bstar13

Reviewed March 27, 2011

I went to the Rowan tree cafe and I must say it is the most spectacular location in all of ennis situated right besidenthe river. It looks pretty goodnfrom then inside too. The service was alright but then one thing that ruined my trip was then food. All that's on the menu is
Pizza and pasta and our think that because that's what the do they'd do it right. But no the pizza and the pasta tastes horrible especially the pasta. Overall the food tastes like it was made by some amateur chefs no the best

1  Thank daniellynch4
Reviewed January 19, 2011

I was critical of the Rowan Tree when I first visited so felt I should balance that out. The restaurant has improved greatly since my first visit. The menu is not perfect but has improved, with a better selection (more than just pizza and pasta). The service is much better, no availability problems either. It is much busier, especially at lunch. It is in the nicest setting of any Ennis restaurant so I would hope it succeeds.

Reviewed January 4, 2011

Had dinner here recently with friends and loved the location. However I was very disappointed with the food -our two chicken pasta dishes contained a few really miniscule slivers of chicken, very little sauce and loads of pasta. Certainly not worth the price we paid for them. The restaurant boasts that it is coeliac friendly with specific dishes marked as such but my coeliac friend was told by our waitress that all the potato wedges,fries and other potatoes listed in the "coeliac friendly" dishes had been cooked with breaded dishes and were not in fact suitable for coeliacs. No gluten free alternative was offered.There was no gluten free bread and all that was offered to accompany the meat or fish was salad. Of course there was no reduction in price for the failure to provide what was outlined in the menu. I will not be recommending this restaurant.

1  Thank networker
Reviewed December 7, 2010

We ate there on Sunday nite had been there beofore and the food and service was awful.But i have to say this time i was plesently suprised the food was lovely and the service was great.

The room was very nicely done and a big opened fire made it very cozy espically when it was so cold outside.

My hubby had the prawn in a batter the one complaint there was olny 3 prawns in it i did think the could have been a bit more.I had the chicken wing to start the were very nice.For the main course he had the steak and he had no complaint i had the meat ball in a tomoto sauce the were very nice i also had the italian bear .he had a desert a berry and apple crumble and a port of tea a nice size not the normal small one that you get in a lot of restraunt.

for the whole lot it came to under €70 and there was 3 italain beers.

I would go back again as it was very nice and i loved the atmosphere