“Great Value and Excellent QUality”
Review of The Market Bar

The Market Bar
Ranked #7 of 104 Restaurants in Ennis
Cuisines: European
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Ennis, Ireland
“Great Value and Excellent QUality”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

I have eaten here on a couple of occassions and each time we have been really impressed with the experience. The early bird menu (to 21:30 weekdays) is such good value. My husband and I shared the platter of mixed starters which was really tasty (some of the best duck spring rolls i have eaten) and followed with Trout for him and Pork with Cashel Blue cheese for me. Extremely good portions, cooked to a very high standard and served by an attentive (but not overly) waiter who was friendly and professional. The deserts were lovely (if probably of the frozen variety) but i can also recommed the coctails as an option as an alternative and the White chocolate martini is a thing of beauty.

• Visited October 2013
BarryPilkington, Owner at The Market Bar, responded to this review, March 16, 2014
Hi there,
Sorry for the delay in replying to your review :( We have not been on Tripadvisor in quiet a while. We would like to take the opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write a review for us, we so appreciate it! We're changing up our cocktail menu at the moment and will put on the White Chocolate Martini, just for you!! Hope to see you again soon! Barry & Bohuska.

Cork, Ireland
“5 Star⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ A Must!!!!!”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

I don't usually do reviews for places I've dined but I couldn't not do one for The Market bar, I just enjoyed my meal way too much. Dined in this restaurant Friday night (20/09/2013) and I must say I could not find fault with any part of my meal (and I'm a very picky customer). For starters I had a prawn crustini with a mango salsa of some sorts... Thoroughly enjoyed, not a bit left on my plate. For my main I had decided to try the beef and Guinness pie. It wasn't what I would usually order but they were on special so I gave it a go. It was absolutely to die for! I couldn't recommend this restaurant enough, I'm definitely coming back for seconds!!!!!

• Visited September 2013
Hi there,
Sorry for the delay in replying to your review :( We have not been on Tripadvisor in quiet a while. We would like to take the opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write a review for us, we so appreciate it! Hope to see you again soon! Barry & Bohuska.
Ireland
“Extremely Disappointing...”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Hadn't been to this restaurant in a long time but decided to give it a shot based on other reviews & the fact that my mates had been giving me a hard time over just supporting one restaurant in Ennis (and yes - I'm going back to just supporting one restaurant - "The Cloister" !!)...
The service was friendly but extremely slow (50 minutes before we got our main course) and there was only two other tables occupied in the restaurant !.. The Seafood Chowder was more like a paste than a chowder and the 1st slice of bread was hard.. The fish main was way over cooked and the vegetables were most definitely a re-heat (except for the peas...)... It was certainly "low cost" but that's not "value" in my opinion as the meal overall was poor...

I understand that the business if for sale (€250k..)... Nice location & ambiance, but a lot of work to be done to make this a good restaurant in my opinion..

• Visited September 2013
4 Thank myhonestopinion4u
BarryPilkington, Manager at The Market Bar, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear my honestopinion4u,
As per your review heading all of us here at the Market are extremely disappointed to hear of your poor dining experience with us.
I don't want to offer any excuse only that our head chef was off the evening you were in and the food obviously was not up to the high standard that we have become known for in town. I hope you can accept my apology & would urge you to try and voice your disappointment on the night to us so we can look after you then . I hope you will return & give us another try as I can assure you our standards here in the Market are very high.
On another note , your comment about my business being for sale is completely incorrect & untrue . I'm not sure what this has to do with a dining review anyway but I would like you to take this down as you are telling the public & my loyal customers that the restaurant is for sale which it is not.
If you got your information from the paper, which I can only assume, you might note that its the building itself that is for sale which does not affect tenant, business or restaurant

Thank you for your honest opinion & we hope to serve you soon
Co Clare Ireland
“Tasty”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We go here a good bit. Sometimes with work gang and sometimes with the kids. Service great. Really obliging dealing with small people and varying from menu. Would recommend.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Irishgirl074
kruegar, Owner at The Market Bar, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant recently. We are delighted that you enjoy coming to eat here & we take great pride in providing a family friendly atmosphere to our guests. We hope that you will continue to eat with us & we look forward to serving you & your guests again!
Canberra, Australia
“great gluten free service”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

The Market Bar lists many items on their menu as gluten free and they even have gf hot chips! They are hand-cut, not coated in anything and cooked in separate oil so completely safe. I had the BLT on gf bread with a side of chips and was not disappointed. My husband had the roast of the day which was also gf and by all accounts very tasty. The waiter had good knowledge and answered all my questions patiently. If you are in Ennis, you must eat here, in a small lane just down from the main square.

• Visited July 2013
kruegar, Owner at The Market Bar, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Hi there!

We thank you so much for your recent review of our restaurant. We are delighted that you had a good dining experience. We have spent a lot of time researching gluten free foods that are safe to serve to guests in our restaurant & will continue to do so. So thank you for your great comments! We hope to see you again soon!