“great stay at a great price”
Review of Rowan Tree Hostel

Rowan Tree Hostel
San Antonio, Texas
“great stay at a great price”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

The Rowan Tree Hostel was the perfect place to stay in Ennis. Three of us stayed in an ensuite room and it was a great size. The location of the hostel is really good. Close to lots of restaurants and shops in Ennis. Ennis itself is a really great base camp for exploring the west coast, close to the Cliffs of Moher, Galway, Bunratty. The staff were all really nice and helpful. The wifi worked well, which is more than many places can say. The breakfast was good, although I didn't really love the fact that everyone washed their own dishes (not because I didn't want to, just unsure about some of the washing quality). I would definitely recommend the Rowan Tree Hostel and would surely stay there again if I was in the area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Traverse City, Michigan
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We stayed at the Rowan Tree for two nights during our trip to Ireland and thoroughly enjoyed our stay there overlooking the River Fergus. Of the four hostels we stayed at during our vacation, the Rowan Tree was our favorite. Lovely location, great facilities, and a wonderful and friendly staff made our visit to Ennis all the more memorable. BTW - Ennis is a delightful town.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the River Fergus - wonderful!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 8, 2013

The location is very good, the staff are friendly, the rooms are clean, comfortable and spacious (even as a group of 10 females in a 10-bed dorm, we had plenty of space), the bathrooms are clean and well-maintained, and the hostel itself is an enjoyable place to stay. The adjoining restaurant is also relatively good, albeit a little expensive.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Killaloe, Ireland
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The Rowan Tree is a very relaxed hostel with very accommodating staff. It is in a good location, central to Ennis which is close to many beautiful tourist attractions including Bunratty castle and the Cliffs of Moher. Within walking distance of nice shops, restaurents and pubs with great music.
We are in our 50's so a little older than usual hostelers but we got a nice private room with ensuite shower. WIFI access and computer available and good kitchen and dining facilities. The hostel is very clean and quite secure with swipe door keys. There is a cosy lounge available and a cafe bar / restaurant alonside which serves beautiful food. Short walk to bus and train station and Shannon airport about 8 miles away.

Room Tip: We are in our 50's so a little older than usual hostelers but we got a nice private room with en...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lorna L
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed July 18, 2013

this is the best hostel in Ireland...I lived there for 3 months and was exellent. Its close to the center and the views are the best peace and calm. The workers are friendly and polite, this hostel is so clean and comfortable. I'm sure that if you go there you will have a good experience and Ennis a magical village.

Yasmina.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Atlantic coast
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Stayed one night - very comfortable beds - really good for a hostel. Very clean. Quite secure - swipe door keys. Friendly n helpful staff! Typical grumpy unyielding yanks who insist on blackout and silence at 10.30pm in bedroom and then insinuate in the morning that I may have snored during the night when I never mentioned the fact that they had done exactly that and kept me awake for several hours earlier - but I suppose I could have gone elsewhere. Lots of nice leather couches about and quiet rooms. No tv that I could see. Good facilities, plenty of hot water, rooms right over the fast flowing river Fergus below! One point: don't allocate beds in dorms unless very full - I didn't want the allocated bed and another person grumpy because he wanted the bed allocated to me. I was afraid to take another bed in case I would be turfed out in the early hours by somebody else. But the empty beds were still empty in the morning so pity I did not grab the bed I preferred. Should be first come first served! Anyway this is about the hostel not some of its customers! Well situated right in the middle of town a short enough walk from bus and train station, clean, spacious, this hostel is really good and I would have no hesitation in recommending it highly! The night with reasonable breakfast cost 16 euros. I don't understand why the price listed here says between 31 and 67 per night!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Atlantic8866
lancashire
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I was shocked how perfect this place was ... Im not able to walk too far so this was very convenient as its so near the town ( about 2 hundred yards ) via the footbridge All the staff where so very helpful & efficient What a well thought out building suitable for ANY AGE I was a little dubious as I've never stayed in a hostel How wrong I was ! I just can't praise it enough from the convenient lift The location, The facilities ( especially I your on a budget) as you can cook your own food in their well equipped pro. Kitchen ( you can even have use of a fridge an freezer ) which the reception staff supply you with a name label so that your food is easily identifiable
OUTSTANDING FRIENDLY STAFF especially the lovely Man often on night duty

I just can't praise t enough to be honest ... The kitchen is right next to a really welcoming well thought out dining / day room ... Which is great for ' me time ' or social interaction ... Access to the computers or free wifi for your own equipment ( iPad etc) ... There's also a cosy lounge available

the cafe bar / restaurant is extremely popular in its own right which serves beautiful cuisine
Outside the cafe you can relax with friends in the peaceful setting with a lovely ambiance sitting watching the meandering river gently flowing

Wonderful ....

What a real nice mix of people they seem to attract to the Rowan tree ... all ages all nationalities from 18 - 80 ....

I can't wait to go back to the Rowan Tree an would most go definitely use this as a base not only for Ennis

Room Tip: Give the staff an idea of any special needs you require as they go above an beyond to accommodate yo...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
RowanTreeEnnis, Owner at Rowan Tree Hostel, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you very much for your wonderful review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the future. Kind regards from all the team @ Rowan tree Hostel