“Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head (Part 2)”
Review of Cafe Aroma

Cafe Aroma
Ranked #10 of 109 Restaurants in Ennis
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed November 21, 2013

There are certain places you visit where it always seems to rain. Ennis is one of those places for me. This time it did not just rain but it bucketed down. I half expected to see Noah sailing an Ark down the ancient, notoriously narrow, streets. It was the perfect excuse to take refuge again in the Café Aroma . My wife had a bowl of soup that was a meal in itself and accompanied by really good proper brown bread. I opted for the all day breakfast. It was admirable and set me up for the rest of the shopping trip once the deluge had abated. The Aroma Café will never win awards or be awarded a Michelin star but if you seek good simple fare at reasonable prices in agreeable surroundings and with friendly efficient service then your search is over. Just watch out for Noah!

2  Thank Donal B

Reviewed November 20, 2013

Nice place for a quick and tasty breakfast. The service was good and friendly and it was good value for money. We sat by the window and did some people watching.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

When you first walk into the Aroma, you find yourself in a rather intimate room with only a few tables and tall-backed chairs upholstered in black leather, so there is a nice combination of elegance and coziness. The plate-glass windows give a view of the activity on the street called Bank Place. You can peer into the case and select pastries to go with your coffee, or you can order a meal. Breakfast all day is very good. The cafe does a nice job with the Full Irish breakfast as well as a couple of scaled-down versions, in addition to other breakfast options, such as poached eggs with local salmon. if you want your poached eggs to have runny yolks, tell the server. Coffees are lovely.

Lunch choices are served from 12:30 onward; specials (except Sundays and holidays) are written on the chalkboard outside as well as posted inside. Overall, the Aroma does best with European food. When it branches into trendy options with foreign-sounding names like Thai Chicken Wrap or Cajun (something-or-other, I forget), it produces food that is tasty, but, well, not really Thai or Cajun.

You might be perfectly happy in the downstairs room and never check out the rest of the cafe, but if you like, you can venture up the stairs and sit on the little mezzanine, like an elevated replica of the ground floor, or go up to the upper floor, which is different altogether, quite large, with a more casual feeling. This is where the kitchen is located, and it's open to the room rather than behind a door. The decor is simple but done in tasteful warm colors, with mocha wall panels and deep red window-shades. This room, like the others, has plenty of natural light. There's a big television in one corner that may broadcast a news program, but the volume is not intrusive, nor is the ambient noise in the room a problem. You can have a conversation here!

The staff are efficient and friendly, happy to talk about the menu choices. The prices are reasonable, and the food is dependably good. Wifi is available. With the food and seating options, Cafe Aroma is a useful and pleasant place for a variety of occasions.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

I had great salad. Also very good coffee. They had no problem serving latte in a cup instead of glass:) I can recommend it no problem!

Reviewed September 23, 2013

We visited for lunch on 19 September while walking around Ennis. I noted that they offered breakfast all day - so I ordered the full Irish Breakfast. This was our last day in Ireland and I knew that there would not be an opportunity for another. I am glad that I did. This was the best that I have had over the 11 days in country. (That is why I gave this pace an excellent rating). My girlfriend also enjoyed her lunch. The restaurant has a small street-front with dining areas on 3 floors. The first floor is more of a bakery and coffee shop with dining on the second and third levels. The server was very friendly and genuinely glad that we had stopped in. I recommend this restaurant.

1  Thank SteveBressi