“Off the Beaten Path, but worth the trip”

Reviewed September 24, 2012

A beautifully restored castle without the crowds. We were the lone visitors for the hour or so that we were there. The hostess was delightful and informative. Be sure to visit the other local sites as well!

1  Thank nbrock

Reviewed August 23, 2012

For those expecting a slick exhibition, then this is not the place for you, I'd suggest Bunratty Castle. But for something off the beaten path, something slightly different and interesting, then you should try here. The exhibitions have a certain quality of it being thrown together. The modern history room is just a very random but interesting mix of things. I found some of the items on show there pretty funny. But this just made the experience more interesting.

I would definitely pick a good day to go see the Cross and Round Tower part as you have to walk through a field that I can see getting very muddy very fast.

Woman on the counter seemed a bit rude or abrupt.

Reviewed June 15, 2012

I have been to the Dyseart O'Dea Castle/Archeology Centre numerous times. It is a must when we have friends over to help explain some of the history of the area. The staff are friendly and informed. The items contained in the castle giving a good overview of a different time.

Reviewed June 7, 2012

This castle is not only off the beaten track but also out of the usual tourist trap pricing. Considering the pieces on display relating to the history of the castle, I thought the few euros to get in was a bargain. I recommend buying the local hand drawn map showing not only the location of all the holy wells churches & rare high crosses within walking distance of the castle. If your interest is in medieval Ireland or christianity then don't miss here!

Reviewed May 23, 2012

While this isn't the greatest castle in Ireland it's worth a stop if you're in the area. The view from the top is beautiful. This was one of our first stops and the video clip shown in one of the rooms was very educational, we kept picking out things we had seen on the video during our time in the area! We enjoyed the church on the grounds more than the castle itself.