“Busy, good food”

Ranked #1 of 1 Dessert in Sunset Beach
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Takeout
Reviewed May 4, 2014

There's are several reasons this place is busy, it's in a great location, has a good menu and good food. We stopped for some bakery items and ordered a plate lunch one day. The lunch took about 15 minutes. If you walk in and it seems like a big line, that could just be people waiting for their orders. You order at the register (grab a piece of pie, cake, some beverages or baked goods before going to the register), then they will give you a number if you order food from the kitchen. We also had breakfast here. The ham and cheese omelet was great. No inside dining but you can eat at the picnic tables outside. Close to Sunset beach, across the road.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,558)

Reviewed May 3, 2014

Don't understand what the big deal is. Heard so much about this place's chocolate haupia pie. Went there and tried it. No big deal!

When I heard that some place has something that it's known for I have certain expectations. This place is nothing to look at. And not like the locale is so great either (not on a beach, no views...). But I kinda like places like that, that you feel you know something that others might not know so they might have passed this place by. What turned me off was I was expecting this great dessert that was hand/store made but what I got was a prepackage mass-produced small piece of pie full off chemicals and preservatives. And expensive too - think it was like almost $4 for a small slice.

And the value/taste didn't do anything to make me feel any better. Tasted just like a regular chocolate cream pie that you'd buy at a supermarket. Didn't taste anything coconut'y about it at all.

All in all, might as well have just bought a Sara Lee frozen cake from a supermarket's freezer case.

For me, if a place is known for something, I expect it to be something special, whether it be the product or the place, or a combination of both. I can buy a prepackaged pack of Nathan hot dogs and cook it at home but it is just not the same. I could even have a Nathan's hot dog at various locations, even one of their locations, but it just still wouldn't be the same. For me, it has to be a Nathan's hot dog at Coney Island that makes it a special 'worth the trip' experience. This was just a prepackaged mass-produced small piece of pie that I could have had anywhere and still not been satisfied.

1  Thank Dutch5995
Reviewed May 2, 2014

The chocolate haupia pie from Ted's is probably the greatest pie ever created. I've been here several times and it's always fantastic. The coconut cake isn't bad either. Give Ted's a try, you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed May 1, 2014

I came here with a total of 11 which was my entire family. And there was a lot of variety of pies.
I tried a Chocolate pie which was Fantastic! And a Chocolate Haupia Cream Pie.
And this was the first time I ever been to this place. I do recommend this place for people who never been to the North Shore. And if I ever visit Oahu again I will definitely come back here!
I was VERY satisfied with the stuff!

Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

Inexpensive filling breakfast and yummy pastries. We will definitely go back again before returning to Maine.