“Great experience”

Smith's Tropical Paradise Luau
Ranked #2 of 8 things to do in Wailua
Reviewed December 3, 2013

This is a great experience and very professional. We took the bus from the North Shore to the Pono Kai which is a hotel in Kapaa. There is a shuttle from Smith's that picks up at the hotel and we were off...
The luau has 3 parts, a tour of the grounds which was interesting to me because I have a background in medicine and being able to ID Hawaiin plants is interesting. The grounds are well maintained and there are a couple of places to get away with your wife or girlfriend and enjoy whats around you.
The second part is food and open bar. There is no wait and these people have the whole experience down to a science. The food is great, the Mai Tais are good, the people working like the job and its awesome. It is a tourist event but still great. We drank and ate too much so I was glad I took the bus from the Northshore.
The third part was the cultural dance. Whats interesting is Smiths plays homage to all the cultures that are on Hawaii. So different cultures are represented in the show. It was a warm night, the plumeria were blooming and I am very happy with my experience.
Our shuttle driver was "aunt Patty" and she was incredible. Thank you Patty.
Our dinner host was "aunt Nancy" and she was also incredible. She took the flowers out of her hair and pinned them on my date. It was great!!!
Aloha!!!

1  Thank scott p

Reviewed November 11, 2013

Yes, it is a bit cheesy at moments (only moments though).
Yes it is for tourists.

But I LOVED it!

You start off going on a tram tour of the grounds, which are very beautiful. The tour isnt too exciting but its nice to see the grounds too, they are very pretty.

Next you wait a bit to see the imu, which is REALLY cool that they actually show you the earth oven the pig is cooked in and explain how it is done. It made me much more excited to try the food after seeing how much work goes into it. Before the imu demonstration starts there is time for pictures and wandering around and picking a seat (take the napkin out of the cup and leave a jacket there or something).

After the imu, which is maybe 10-15 minutes long, you take your seats and the bar opens. Unlimited mai tais, wine, beer, and other drinks. Its actually hard not to over do it because its all so delicious. All the hosts and employees are very friendly and helpful. I had a lot of fun talking to a girl about various things and the bartender was more than happy to give me suggestions and made some great drinks.

They call table by table when the food is ready and they is plenty enough for everyone to have seconds if you can fit it in. The pork is exceptional and I really enjoyed just about everything I tried, best meal I had on the island by far.

They do some hula and live music on the stage throughout the night and even have people come up (mostly children) and learn to do the moves. They show the moves of hula and explain what each means and it starts to make a lot of sense then what those dances are.

The bar closes after about an hour and a half to two hours after it opened and people are directed to the main stage area for the dance performances. They also take your picture on the way in and they are available for purchase for $20 either before or after the dances, I of course had to get ours and I love it hanging on the wall at home.

The dances are great! They go through a handful of different cultures... Samoan, Japanese, Polynesian, Hawaiian, and more I can't remember them all. They were great, lots of pretty girls and fire dancing guys and very impressive movements. It was a long show too, I think to help people sober up a bit after all the drinking, but well worth all of it. They danced in heavy rain even and you could never tell, they never faltered. I was very impressed.

They tram ride everyone back to the entrance after it is over. The bathrooms are clean, there are several of them around. Overall great experience, would definitely go again. I am still wearing the shell lei they give you when you first come in even weeks later back at home.

Well worth the $88.

Be aware though it is not every night of the week, we didnt realize this until about 15 minute before the last luau of the week we were there. They were able to fit us in no problem even last minute which was awesome. So glad we didnt miss out!

1  Thank PincPleasure
Reviewed November 2, 2013

30 acres of beautiful tropical gardens in the historical Wailua Valley sets the scene for the best island luau experience.
Following a narrated tram tour of the gardens you are entertained by the Smith family with Hawaiian songs over a glass of wine or beer.
The Luau feast contains kalua poerk, beef teriyaki, chicken adobo with lots of other local specialities followed by scrumptious tropical desserts.
The Rhythm of Aloha Show moves the audience with colourful, authentic performances from Polynesia in the torch lit lagoon amphitheatre.
All in all a most memorable experience not to be missed.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

We picked this luau as it was a bit less like the other tourist processing mill luau’s. The food wasn’t great (dessert was better) but the imu ceremony and show was quite good. Obviously it was quite touristy/cheesy in places but I think its worth going to once for the experience. Everyone was friendly and they had a good sense of humour. They are happy to pose for photos with you as well which is always fun.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Last night my wife and I had a spectacular evening at this luau. We have been to Hawaii several times and we have done luaus on the 4 major islands. Last night was the best. It started with a shuttle around the 100 acre plantation , where the driver described the plants and animals. We then had an explanation of the cooking of the pig. We saw it removed from the ground. Next fun began with an open bar followed by an excellent buffet. Pork was great but everything was excellent. We were entertained with traditional Hawaiian music. I talked to an employ that explained that over 50% of the employees were family. The evening had had a nice friendly feeling. After the Mai Tais we moved to a separate area for the show, which was excellent !