“Excellent Run Hotel”

and 1 more site!
Champany Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Linlithgow
Reviewed November 22, 2008

We stayed at the Champany for two nights, the rooms were very comfortable and warm the extras they supply in the rooms i.e .drinks are such a lovely touch and the Scottish decor was very tasteful. Yes the bathrooms may be a little tired but this can be overlooked considering the other touches. The towels and soap were better than most hotels. The breakfast are very good and the kitchen is open so you can see it being cooked. We ate in the Chop and Ale House on both nights the staff were very nice and the food very good - I would recommend the steaks or the burgers and the chips are to die for! special thanks to Paul who is in charge of the wine cellar he was very helpful throughout our stay. We would recommend a stay here to anyone visiting the area and we will certainly return.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fussytravellers
There are newer reviews for Champany Inn

Reviewed July 23, 2008

We stayed at the Champay Inn because we were eating at the restaurant, so it was very convenient. It is a way from anywhere, but conveniently situated just off the M9 near Linlithgow. The rooms are well appointed with a huge bathroom. A nice welcome awaits you in the room with either a G&T or a scotch, depending on your fancy. My room could have done with a little touching up here and there, but nothing that was of concern. Medium to high price, but it was high season. About 20 minutes from Edinburgh airport, but you do need a car to do anything. Staff were really friendly and helpful. Whether I would stay there if I was not eating at the restaurant or Chop and Ale house is another question.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed November 15, 2007

The Champany Inn is located just off the motorway (M9) near Linlithgow. The accommodation is really secondary to the restaurant and the food. The place is famous for its restaurant. We weren't disappointed - absolutely amazing food & service. A word of warning - don't go here though if you are vegetarian - this is predominantly a beef restaurant. Also, think twice about going here unless you are either on expenses, its a special occasion or you have money to burn ! You'll be hard pushed to escape without spending £90 per person (with wine).

But on to the accommodation - it is very traditional and comfortable. The room is very dark but they offer complimentary drinks (gin, whisky etc.) in the room. The beds were very comfortable and the only disappointment was the bathroom - a bit tired and vinyl floor covering ! Not what you expect of this type of establishment. You'll be glad to know that the accommodation is much lower priced than the restaurant so that is a bonus if you want to use the restaurant for the night and don't want to drive back (~£100/night) - it is in an isolated location.

So overall a very good stay and a place I would definitely return to.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank Stena
Reviewed October 9, 2007

Had eaten at the restaurant on numerous occasions but this was the first time we had stayed, I wanted to do something special for my husbands 40th birthday and as he loved the food here i thought what better than to book a room as well.
We had a fantastic stay, room was lovely with complimentary champagne , bed was really comfy , the breakfast in the morning was scrumptious, didn't have to eat for the rest of the day it was that great .
The staff were friendly and helpful , would certainly stay again and of course the meal in the restaurant was as great as ever, many thanks to Ann and Clive Davidson the owners

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Valcar61
Reviewed July 1, 2007

Having found no rooms at the Dakota (see previous review...) this is where we found ourselves.

I had eaten in the restaurant a long time ago when I lived in Scotland but had never stayed.

How much was I missing out!!

Fabulous rooms, great staff, outstanding food. Homely without being twee or chintzy. A great place to stay.

I don't think I need to say anything more!!??

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank DamienKeegan
Reviewed July 24, 2005

The Champany Inn is well known throughout the area as a restaurant serving first class food (specialising in Beef and seafood) and has won many awards. It's prices are also legendary !

This was my first visit to celebrate my 50th Birthday and I looked forward to the experience along with my wife and two "children" (21 & 18).

The ambience of the restaurant is very good, with a very comfortable seating area adjacent to the bar and an extremely attractive round dining room, candlelit with natural stone walls hung with oil portraits.

The menu was not especially large (a good sign in my experience) but offered a comprehensive range of steaks and seafood. I opted for oysters followed by entrecote with a reduced red wine and stilton sauce both of which were delicious.

The wine list was extensive offering a great choice at all price ranges.

Generally I found the staff to be attentive without being overbearing. The exception however was the Maitre 'D who gave the distinct impression that we should have felt honoured to be there. I can't recall having met such condescenion in a restaurant before. Had I not been "treated" for the meal I would have raised this as a complaint at the time.

Having dined at many restaurants in the UK and Overseas with more renowned reputations than the Champany Inn, I found this to be particularly irritating.

This was a Thursday evening and the restaurant was busy with a mixture of what were clearly regular clients as well as visitors such as ourselves. There was a very obvious "two-tier" approach in terms of how staff dealt with regular clients which I was most surprised to see.

Finally, and this is a small point, I think that a restaurant which prides itself in its steaks, might replace the old-fashioned, wooden-handled serrated steak knives with Laguiole knives which are much more attractive than the "cleavers" provided and are in my experience much more effective.

Overall impressions..

In terms of the ambience and quality of the food, first-rate. This is however an expensive restaurant so be prepared for a hefty bill. Steaks are around £28-£35 without garnish, which will probably add at least £5 per head to the main course. With wine (two bottles) and the inevitable "service charge" we ended up almost £90 a head for two courses!

An experience indeed!

• Stayed: July 2005
19  Thank Scotsman1
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 30, 2004

As a birthday treat we reserved a room and dinner at Champany's as we had heard many good reviews of the food - although all of those also said it would be expensive. CHECK-IN: On arrival we were greeted with a complimentary half bottle of Taittinger which we enjoyed in the sunny courtyard between the two restaurants. ROOMS: Our room was decorated in dark tartans and wooden furniture with a super-kingsize bed and large bathroom at a cost of £125 including breakfast. However, the only negative about the entire stay was the general noise. The hotel is by the roadside and, although this didn't bother us too much, it may not be ideal for others. Unfortunately though the heating system (through the radiator and towel rail) comes on and off throughout the whole night and also the soundproofing between the rooms could do with some work. BAR: There is a Cocktail Bar to the front of the restaurant with a scattering of comfy sofas and tables and chairs - great for an aperitif or coffees later. Unlike a number of other similar restaurants the drinks were reasonably priced at £3.25 for a Bombay Sapphire & bottled tonic. CHOP & ALE HOUSE: This is the more informal grill with a cheaper menu but no reservations so there were diners waiting for their tables (very casual dress which varied from shirt & trousers through to jeans). RESTAURANT: You could imagine being in South Africa in this circular dining room with exposed stone walls and high wood ceiling. There were about 50 diners seated at beautifully laid tables and attended to by friendly and knowledgeable staff. The sommelier talked us through the pages and pages of wines - from £15 to £800. We chose a bottle of wonderful bottle of South African Merlot at £32.50. The food, however, is not cheap. Starters average around £10 a dish. We chose an absolutely delicious Prawn Cocktail (with fresh Dublin Bay prawns) and a tasty Triple Smoked Beef (similar to carpaccio drizzled with olive oil and oregano). The main courses average £20 or £30 for their beef specialities. We ordered Fillet on the bone and a Ribeye at £29.50 each - these were cooked exactly as ordered (medium rare) and easily the best we have eaten in the UK - but maybe a little overhyped for the Americans and others used to Argentinian steaks. The main courses are served alone so we also ordered a side order of fresh Vegetables at £5.50 and French Fries at £2.75. The desserts sounded tempting so we decided to indulge in the highly recommended Cheesecake at £6.50 - pure melt in the mouth moments! I also had a glass of dessert wine at £7.50 which was unnecessary. My husband tried some of the wonderfully smelly Stilton and home made oatcakes at £5.50 with a glass of Port at £7.25. We had coffee in the bar - Double Espresso & a Tia Maria Liquer Coffee - to round off the evening. A note of warning though. The menu states that all prices include a 10% Service Charge. It does not - this is ADDED at the end and not INCLUDED and was charged at nearly £20. So, at the end of the day, we had a beautiful meal in a charming and atmospheric restaurant ... but at a cost of over £200. Was it worth it? Once maybe (or if the business is paying!) but I would certainly return to the Chop & Ale House to enjoy the same food in similar surroundings - at a fraction of the cost.

20  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Linlithgow
West Port Hotel
Dalmahoy Hotel & Country Club
Mercure Livingston
Mercure Livingston
#3 of 4 in Livingston

Been to Champany Inn? Share your experiences!