“Rude staff and overpriced”
Review of Champany Inn

Champany Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Linlithgow
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Rude staff and overpriced”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

My wife and I took the chop and ale house overnight accommodation deal for a special treat. We had heard wonderful comments made about the food and in particular the steaks, however our experience was not so positive. The room was OK spacious warm, the bed was two single beds bolted together and not a king size. We ate in the restaurant and from the outset felt very unwelcome. I don't know if it's me but the staff seemed overpowering, When we didn't order wine the waiter was aghast! The place is called the chop and ale (ALE!!) house, so wheres the bloody ale. when we ordered ale we thought we were going to be taken outside and shot. We should have got up and walk out at that point, but no we persevered. then came the menu mostly beef i'll grant you. But £40.00 for a steak not including any extras which were again vastly overpriced. We both ordered t-bones, both medium, you had to have medium cos the chef wouldn't cook it beyond medium. So our t-bones came then this pompous waiter then decided to explain which bit was the sirloin and which part was the fillet etc, etc. All I wanted was for him to stop patronizing us like we'd never seen a steak before. Anyway our steaks went back several times as they were blue to rare, i don't think they did anything to them except show them the pan again. We eventually got something like a medium. The steak was not the best I've eaten by a long chalk and had a strange taste and yes I've eaten plenty of hung steaks in other restaurants which were superb. At this point we'd had enough got them to put the remainder of the steaks in doggy bags for the dogs, who enjoyed them more than us.
Breakfast was OK, again the staff looked down their noses at you but everything was cooked fresh and the scrambled eggs were spot on. So that sort of redeemed it's self a little. Upon paying the grumpy old woman sat behind the desk swiped my card, scowled a presented me with the receipt. Not a "Did you enjoy your stay, or come again" Nothing. Well I will definitely not be coming again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank beefbeefbeef1960

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Perthshire
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Just returned from a last minute break Excellent hotel welcoming receptionist who took us to wine shop to help us choose a bottle of Chablis knew what we wanted but maybe next time will have a bit of a browse he even put into our room in ice bucket sorry didn't catch his name, all staff we met were friendly
Lovely warm room comfy bed and fantastic rain shower fluffy towels and nice toiletries
Used chop&ale house both nights of our stay not great for myself as a veggie great soup lovely fish and chips and veggie sausages my wife who is a carnivore loved the menu it is a wee bit expensive but as they say you get what you pay for. Breakfast was also first class made to order and chef can be seen in breakfast room, lovely coffee maybe next time il try the porridge.
A pity last reviewer did not have a good experience but I prefer not to be constantly asked if everything's ok staff were efficientwithout being intrusive
We are deciding when we can come back for another stay which we reckon will be quite soon

Room Tip: All rooms on ground level overlooking gardens large bathroom
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I have been to the Champney Inn a couple of times, once in the main restaurant and once in the Chop & Ale House. Both are outstanding.

The service is superb as is the food. Fantastic atmosphere, I love every minute of my dining experience here. Cosy and inviting :)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
edinburgh
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Had the set lunch menu today. The caesar salad was delicious & plentiful & the rib eye steak cooked to perfection - wonderful value. { Be warned the a la carte menu is expensive. } The staff are very attentive but not intrusive & lunch was a leisurely affair in comfortable elegant surroundings.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Scotland
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I booked this as a surprise weekend away to celebrate our silver wedding , we had stayed here some number of years ago and the rooms are still exactly the same. The room was nice and large as was the bathroom , there was a nice half bottle of champagne chilling when we arrived which was lovely. I had booked the stay Saturday get Sunday night free special offer which means you have to eat in their A la Carte restaurant one night and in the chop and ale house the next night , which all sounds great , until you go to the A la Carte restaurant which for me was very cluttered , dark and old fashioned , then i opened the menu and almost had a heart attack at the prices . I have been to lots of fantastic hotels and restauranst all over the world and had some expensive meals but this one took the biscuit , I'm not surprised they don't have prices on their website because i wouldn't have booked a room if i had , and yes the meal was ok but not outstanding and definitely not worth the money , we only had 2 courses a reasonable priced bottle of wine , 3 coffees and a liqueur and out bill was over £200 . And looking at people around us they have a lot of wasted food because the steaks are so huge you can't possibly eat it all . They would do better to reduce their portion size and the price The service from waitresses and wine waiter was great and attentive without becoming a pest but would i go back ? NO
We had dinner in the chop house the next night which was ok and breakfast in the morning was excellent but the special offer reels you in with a false sense of security then you get hit with your A la Carte bill. Won't go back the place is a bit too old fashioned , cluttered and stuffy

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Stayed here for a business trip in October and it was such a gem! I saw a few pics online and thought the tartan was a little overkill, but it was actually done very tastefully. Bathroom was huge, room was huge and the complimentary drinks were very welcome. We had drinks in reception and were waited on all night. Really lovely little place that I would recommend.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank DeeElle81
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 18, 2012

I took my Dad and brother away for an overnight to celebrate his 70th birthday. We used the Inn as a base to visit the Bo'ness real ale festival (which was great).
The rooms are really lovely. Some of the reception staff need to lighten up a bit though, it was like walking into a Mortuary and not the friendliest welcome I've ever had in a hotel, same when booking over the phone prior to the visit so I expected it and was n't surprised.
We ate in the Chop and Ale house. The food was absolutely great, and service excellent.
Great night's sleep and then to the breakfast!!
Given that the food was so good the night before I was really looking forward to the breakfast. I have to say, and I don't say this lightly, the breakfast was DIRE!! there was very little care or attention given to what we received and we all left with most of the food left on the plate. The quality of the food was poor and most of it was overcooked. We would have said something at the time but there was no one to be seen anywhere in the breakfast area. The food was served and then we were left to it!! We left and the plates still had n't been taken away. We passed someone on the way out and not a word! Not a goodbye, thanks.. nothing. Now you might think I'm being petty here but I certainly would n't have bothered writing this if I felt it was n't worthy of note, you pay for bed and breakfast and you expect both to be of good quality.
The owners have a GREAT place and really, if they want return custom they'll need to brush up on their customer service skills. A great quality breakfast and some attention now and then would have topped off a 1st class weekend.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Linlithgow
West Port Hotel
Macdonald Inchyra Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Houstoun House
Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh
Best Western Plus Keavil House Hotel

Been to Champany Inn? Share your experiences!