“Where's the ale?”

and 1 more site!
Champany Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Linlithgow
Reviewed June 10, 2012

I ate at the Chop and Ale House. While the food was excellent, to call it an Ale House is a bit of a joke! Serving only Stella or Belhaven Best really is a rather sad state of affairs especially given the rather excellent selection of Scottish breweries within about a 20 mile radius of said 'Ale House'. Come on Champany... wake up and smell the hops!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ade C

Reviewed May 12, 2012

Had a delightful stay in this 300 year old inn...Very quaint and unpretentious!! Adorable!!

The Cap and Ale house is an experience one should not miss - if they want to embrace a true Scottish meal with a dedicated staff. It took you back to yesteryear with the waitress's their white Victorian aprons.

Room Tip: We had a sunny garden view, very pleasant!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 28, 2012

Having been a regular customer since it opened,both in the Restaurant and the Chap and Ale House, I have never had a bad experience in some thirty years. Ann must have one arm longer than the other after carting around that basked of veg every night all that time - what a trooper !

The steak are the best in Scotland, but I have to say it misses Clive in the kitchen as they are not always as good as the old days, but there again what is? The rooms are excellent and cater for every requirement and the breakfasts also first class. You can purchase wine from the wine celler and its all good but not that inexpensive, which is very assuring !

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 27, 2012

We arrived and from the outside I was not sure about the place but what a surprise. Once we got inside (The door was locked until we got our key, no problem there) it was a total contrast tot he outside. It looks like a collection of old farm buildings that has been converted very well nto a restaurant and the hotel.
The rooms are very well presented with a large bed and a huge bathroom. The windows insulate the noise from the road very well.
The restaurant was excellent. if you like steak this is a great place to eat. We had the ribeye which was excellent.
I would recommend the Inn to anybody in the area. A bit costly but worth it.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 20, 2012

I would recommend the Inn to anybody in the area. A bit costly but worth it.

Room Tip: The steaks are huge
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 1, 2012

I travel all over the North of England & Scotland and stay in lots of hotels and inn's on my travels but I really look forward to my trips to Edinburgh where I always try to stay at the Champany Inn.
The welcome is always real, the rooms are very comfortable, the steaks are the best I have ever had and nothing is too much trouble for the staff.
I can honestly say the breakfast is fantastic and really sets you up for the day.
My wife's favourite meal is steak and I can't wait to take her there to share the experience.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 22, 2012

My partner brought me here for a birthday surprise and I was not disappointed. The room rate includes a half bottle of champagne, which is a nice touch. The room was warm and clean, and even the proximity to the road didn't bother us as it is well glazed.
The bathroom is generously proportioned with an excellent and powerful shower separate to the bath.
It is a restaurant with rooms, so no room service or some of what you might expect from a hotel. And although I didn't see the bill, my partner assured me he felt it was good value. The breakfast the next morning was freshly cooked and with well sourced ingredients.
We ate in the restaurant and we both enjoyed the meal. It is not cheap, I would agree, but the produce is high quality and the service efficient and friendly. We discussed wine options with the sommelier and he recommended a fine bottle of an Argentinian blend at a reasonable price. The seafood and meats were excellent - my oysters were some of the best I have had and my partner's home-smoked cod with butter sauce was delicately flavoured and perfectly cooked. We shared a roast rib cooked rare, which was carved at the table. They clearly have some impressive kit in the kitchen, as it was marinaded (soy or kecap manis?) and caramelised to a deep colour, while rare inside. The chips are good; our only gripe was with the salads, which were overdressed and not up to standard.
Overall, be prepared to pay for good food in a wonderful dining room.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Linlithgow
Westport Hotel
2 mi away
Court Residence
Court Residence
#1 of 11 in Linlithgow

Been to Champany Inn? Share your experiences!