“My favourite hotel in the UK”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Champany Inn

Champany Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Linlithgow
Cambridgeshire
“My favourite hotel in the UK”
Reviewed June 17, 2011

Wonderful service, nothing is too much trouble for the staff, fantastic food in the Chop House - restaurant sounds fabulous. Best breakfast anywhere - cooked to order with great local produce

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Camspig

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Edinburgh
Reviewed April 23, 2011

The room was lovely and the large rose headed shower sublime, but the beds were far too shoft. We had dinner in the shop and ale house, both of us had their 18oz T-bone, medium rare. They are char grilled, cooked to perfection. Just a perfect introduction to their food. My one issue, which im sorry to say, was one of the waitresses was quite abrupt and her appearance was sloppy. Everything else was perfect.
Next time we will try the main restaurant but at £50 for a steak we will be waiting a while!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2011

This is our second visit to the Champany Inn, we were a little concerned after reading recent reviews but it was every bit as good as last time. We stayed for two nights over the Mothering weekend. We took my husbands Mother with us for what was her second visit as well. She celebrated her birthday on Mothers Day . The Inns owner was very attentive and made quite a fuss of my Mother in Law wishing her Happy Birthday and lighting a birthday candle for her. We ate in the main restaurant which is very elegant and you do have to have quite an appetite although they will pack what you cannot manage to eat for you to take home.
We must one again sing our praise for Paul as he was as helpful this time as he was on our last visit, the breakfast ladies were also very pleasant although the breakfast was a little greasy for our liking. If we have any complaint it would be that on the package we booked we were not given the small gin and whisky in our rooms which seemed a little petty. We did all in all enjoy our stay and will return. The inn has a friendly but polite manner which is rare now.

Room Tip: If you are not a big eater eat in the Chop House.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 25, 2010

The staff we courteous, very efficient, attentive and discreet at the same time.

The food was amazing, beautifully cooked and presented, the rooms lovely.

It made my special occasion even more special.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Harlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2010

I spend quite a lot of time looking up restaurants in Edinburgh, I fly up quite often with work from London and always look for restaurants that have a city feel for dinner with my clients. After a lot of mediocre dinners and the same old, drinks afterwards in rowdy bars pretending to be upmarket, I decided that it would be fun to travel a little way out and find something more special where i could give my clients more of an evening. I found Champany Inn on here and read the reviews. I tried to book the restaurant but unfortunately for the evening I needed a table it was fully booked. However, they asked me if I would consider having dinner in the chop and beer house (I later found out it was chop and ale!) and after discussing it with the lady on the telephone, i decided that i would treat my clients to a night in the hotel next door so we didn't have to get a taxi back late. We arrived and were seated at a cosy table by the fire. I had one of the best burgers of my life and the chips were divine, i've been on a diet ever since because i had a second portion! After such a fun evening we sloped next door and fell on the sofas in the lobby, where we were joined by the proprieter - who was absolutely charming and after finding out the history of the place, my clients were American - we found our rooms, plushly deocrated and with all the comforts one would expect from this calibre of hotel, and went to sleep. The next day we were treated to a wonderful breakfast in the hotel before setting off on a long walk nearby, as directed by the charming proprieter - later returning to waiting taxis that took us back to the city. I could have stayed a week and will definitely be back for more of my client entertaining.

Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
London
Reviewed September 23, 2010

What a wonderful place to stay, from the warm greeting at reception to the amazingly comfortable beds and one of the best meals I've had in a very long time. I started with the prawns and pasta and of course a steak, which was perfectly cooked and came with delicious chips. Dessert was equally satisfying, the Champany Cheesecake - a must for anyone who loves Cheesecake. Staff were attentive and friendly and I really felt at home. I very rarely review hotels and restaurants, but feel the need to share Champany with everyone.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh
Reviewed August 10, 2010

Dinner first; (Main restaurant) Outstanding in every regard. Expensive, yes, the best is usually expensive.
Bed; Lovely bedrooms and very spacious bathrooms. Immaculate. Good value.
Breakfast; Excellent.
Dinner, B&B; Struggling to think of anywhere better.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Linlithgow
West Port Hotel
Dakota Edinburgh
#1 of 4 in South Queensferry
Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh
Dalmahoy Hotel & Country Club

Been to Champany Inn? Share your experiences!