“Lovely stay”

The Dumbuck House Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Dumbarton
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We stayed for two nights and thoroughly enjoyed every minute. Our room was a junior suite on the first floor with a large, comfy bed, nice linen, super bathroom and plenty of space. Lovely thick curtains to block out the light, very recently decorated, clean and fresh, large TV and two easy chairs - ideal for a relaxing break. Okay, as someone else commented, the new carpet could do with being stretched but that is really nitt-picking.

Dinner was very good. The homemade chicken liver parfait was among the best I've tasted. Like another reviewer I ordered prawn fajitas. Large prawns, lots of onion and peppers, served on a sizzler but not at all greasy. I also hate salsa but told the waitress so it wasn't an issue. When we want a gourmet meal, we choose an appropriate establishment. This hotel offers well prepared, tasty food at very reasonable prices.

Breakfast was excellent, try the Eggs Benedict.

The staff were unfailingly cheerful and helpful, we could not find fault. I watched one staff member dealing with a very delicate situation with great skill and tact.

The building is obviously in the middle of a refurbishment programme but if this is continued to the current standard then they will end up with an excellent establishment.

We will certainly visit again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Dumbuck House Hotel

Reviewed October 26, 2012

If you are thinking about a base from which to explore the area around Loch Lomond, which is what we did, please avoid this hotel. I booked it having read some decent reviews online and thought it would be a decent base. It was also my wife's birthday.

We were hugely disappointed. The hotel looks very tired and in need of investment. Outside paintwork and the windows especially require renovation and painting. Inside was average but the flowers at reception were wilting and the bin overflowed with rubbish. The reception itself was unstaffed and I had to go looking for someone's. A young woman came along and said someone would be with us shortly. She disappeared and came back a minute or so later to see to us.

We got the key to our room - Mansion House One on the first floor. Quite a big room, and that's where the positives end. The carpet was in need of re-stretching and refitting and the walls needed a repaint. The second floor was closed for 'refurbishment' but there was little sign of activity.

We did not stay. We never even unpacked. We moved on and checked into the beautiful Duck Bay Hotel and Marina. Check out my review.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We went for a family meal on my youngest sisters birthday expecting a nice meal in our local area. This was very disappointing.

The food all round was very bland. I ordered "stuffed mushrooms in breadcrumbs" for my starter and i'm convinced they where bought from Iceland they where so watery and had that frozen meal taste.

I then had prawn fajitas which I got 7 (very over cooked) small prawns swimming in grease and peppers, not pleased! My salsa, sour cream and cheese where all in one bowl which made me want to vomit as I HATE salsa, and anytime I order this anywhere else it comes separate. The cheese was also really warm and starting to melt.

None of my family enjoyed their meals at all, I will not be back.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Lauren M
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We have had two bad experiences with the Dumbuck recently. I would be writing a novel if I went into the whole story, we had originally planned to have our wedding here, but given the incompetence of the staff that will not be happening.

I booked a surprise meal and overnight stay for my fiancé and had four telephone conversations with the receptionist, on separate days to arrange details of our stay. On arrival we discovered the restaurant was closed that night except for pre-booked meals, which I was never told during the calls, when I had booked a table. On complaining we were given the option of the mid-week table d’hote menu rather than the full a la carte I had booked for. The duty manager who we complained to blamed everything on the receptionist and said he would be having words with her.
We discussed with him that we had planned to have our wedding there and he agreed to show us round the function suite in the morning.

After a restless night’s sleep in a very small room, disturbed by the noise from the party in the function suite, we met with the duty manager and he showed us round the function suite which is a good size, but very tired looking and the ladies toilets definitely need redecorated.

We queried if the date we had planned for our wedding was free, he checked and agreed it was. We decided to return to see the general manager to discuss our wedding the following week.
On arriving to see the general manager we were show into the bar - where all the tables were dirty - and asked to wait, for about 10 minutes. She then came and told us that our date wasn't available, but they could do it the next day instead. At this point I went through the catalogue of events to date and she then blamed the duty manager for this new problem. I asked her how I could trust them to organise my wedding when the duty manager blamed staff for problems, and she was now blaming the duty manager.

Overall I would advise to avoid this hotel at all costs. The bar, restaurant and reception have all the been decorated well, but the bedroom was tiny and poorly decorated, and as I've mentioned the function suite is very tired.

The receptionist I spoke with on the phone was friendly, as was the duty manager, however the staff on arrival were surly and dealt with you in their own time.

Room Tip: Avoid! If travelling to Dumbarton and looking for a cheap hotel try the Premier Inn!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kerry1001
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Booked this hotel as we were visiting in the area. Looked great on line..so we decided to book our Luxury Room £75....no breakfast!!!!. I wish I had booked the Premier Inn...I have had better nights at a fraction of the price.
ROOMS - supposidly refurbished..mmmm...I really would not have liked to see them prior to it.
VIEW - well thats something else...the lovely Scottish scenery and we got a burnt out dirty area on top of the smokers shed...oh and free fire hose included.
BATHROOM - well looked clean, thakfully....took forever to run a bath and the shower was more like a watering can...pipes roasting hot...BEWARE.
FOOD - average...it was ok.
Would I return...NO...pity as the area is so lovely.
I must admit the staff were friendly and welcoming....down stairs in hotel was really nice

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Ate at the restaurant recently & will never return unless the supposed chef is replaced! Also train your poor staff they were so nice but not what you need when out for a 'nice meal'. Nice just doesn't cut it sorry! Arrived and apparently someone had taken our table so we were to pick anywhere (in other words our pre-arrival call to book was pointless!) sat down & had to ask for a drinks/wine menu. Ordered everything at the same time starters arrived first & had to chase our drinks to which arrived minus our wine, the waiter said erm yes was it the Pinot Grigio white you wanted . . . . erm no Pinot noir & of course Pinot Grigio is white! Getting worried at this point as to how the evening was going to pan out! So back to my starter, ordered goats cheese & red caramelised onion tarte tatin! Yummy not a chance I had sent the first 1 back as was frozen in the middle wont even go into what was served up but definitely not what I ordered!! Also the second attempt also frozen! Mains I thought I was going to be ill the duck was off & fatty, fillet steak which was barely that at all was requested to be cooked rare, it came out crispy on the outside blue & cold inside! By this point although the manager was attentive to our concerns we just could not stay. Would like to say we were an unlucky two that night but other tables also required the managers attention. Just a suggestion but why do your staff in the restaurant not look after particular areas instead of a free for all just adds to frustration to the guest that they don't have a name of someone to help them in situations of need during there meal! The staff did not want to know the guests as the sheer look of panic when approaching any table was that of here comes another complaint, if your staff don't show confidence in the product then how are your guests meant to believe in you & your business. Your missing out on so much sales/customer potential!!
Regrettably we will not be returning safe to say.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Eazily-pleased
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Nice size double room with ensuite & large TV if thats what you want Decorated in the Bistro style & a little bit dark for me but clean and modernised .We didnt eat in restaurant .Staff were pleasent enough but just going through the paces I suspect.
Positioned on main road to Glasgow & less than 10 miles to Loch Lomond so great as a base for the surounding areas
Dumbarton itself is quite grey but some interesting architecture if you look round and nice riverside walks near the R Leven and on Clyde mud flats when tide out The surprising find was the castle itself ,doesnt look much from the town but well worth the effort of walking up to its twin peaks for fabulous view along the Clyde in both dirrections. However dont miss the Fish & Chips @£3 a delicious bargain.....

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dumbarton
The Abbotsford Hotel
Lodge on Loch Lomond
Kilcreggan Hotel
Kilcreggan Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kilcreggan

Been to The Dumbuck House Hotel? Share your experiences!