“Celebration Meal”

and 1 more site!
The Dumbuck House Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Dumbarton
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We came as a party of four to have a celebration dinner in the restaurant and although we had a pleasant enough meal, we were glad not to be residents! It was a Groupon meal deal and it was not the quality we expected. The two waiting staff were great and tried very hard, but they were also trying to deal with a private party and a wedding at the same time! Points for effort to them. This was once a great hotel restaurant and a real treat but it looks like those days are long gone. The menu on the table was whipped away when we produced the Groupon voucher and replaced by a 'Classic a la Carte' menu which included a burger in a bun and battered haddock. We chose to select items that carried supplements as a rescue from the basics and it was just not the pleasant meal that we had anticipated. The hotel public area and reception just looked tired and we were more than happy not to be staying. Sorry - we won't be back!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 19, 2012

Just spent the night in this establishment as we were attending a wedding reception. The reception areas were very dark and oppressive.
Rooms 'compact and bijou' or should I say extremely small. Showerwas no more than a damp mist coming from the shower head.
Distinct smell of damp throughout this property along with the tatty and untidy outside areas was very off-putting.
There was litter and old carpets and empty paint cans strewn around outside areas - not a good indication of the standards of hygiene.
The staff are all very young and inexperienced without any signs of a manager or supervisor around to help.
We had a couple of drinks on arrival but noticed that although they were not particularly busy, none of the staff appeared to notice that the tables needed clearing both inside the bar and on the outside areas.
Wecame through from the reception on a few occasions to the main bar for drinks as you had to queuein the hall for a drink.
The barman commented on several occasions about this saying that he thought he waould have had a quiet night and been able to watch sports on TV and how he only did this for some pocket money. Not exactly the standards of customer service I would expect or am used to.
Given the lack of cleanliness in the public areas, we decided to give breakfast a miss (although we had payed for it).
Definitely a one off for us. Will not be booking a return visit any time soon.
Such a shame because given a little bit of TLC and some proper staff training, this could be a little gem.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

Stayed at this hotel last weekend for one night with steak dinner. I must admit I was worried as I had looked on here (after booking!!) and thought oh well as long as its clean! Well I was pleasantly surprised - yes the decor is dark but it is modern and first impression was this is really nice. Restaurant was clean (I am quite fussy) and dinner was enjoyable! Bar area is nicely decorated and also had live music which I didn't expect. The staff are all very pleasant and polite. Although our room was smallish it was very clean - lack of drawers if staying longer, also only had one chair - but that didn't matter. Very comfy bed and bathroom was huge! This is an old hotel and the hallway leading to rooms is a bit uneven so watch your feeting.
Didn't have breakfast here but there are places locally to eat - cafe along the road, McDs if you wish, and a Morrisons with cafe.
All in all we had a lovely night - don't be put off.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

This was meant to be a romantic night being the fist night of a six day break in Scotland for my parter & I. I found out about the hotel via a Groupon deal. It looked great on the photographs & their own website. The initial view of the hotel was great- it looked exactly as it did on the website but that was as far as the exactness went. Inside the decor is very dark, graphite grey/black carpets, black gloss work up the stairs & very little brilliant lighting to brighten the area.
We were booked into a junior suite which was nice - not overly opulent, but clean & spacious. It took some finding though. The key indicated MH3, but there was no door to match. It wasn't until we asked again where the room was that we were told, "it's room 103". Simple things. There are stairs to a 2nd floor which should really be cordoned off as it leads to a builders paradise. There is a window half way up he 2nd flight of stairs which overlooks another builders paradise. It's obviously a work in progress but to see ladders, tins of paint, scaffolding & other DIY paraphernalia just left abandoned was not a good look.
The dining area was just OK. Again dark decor & not particularly spotlessly clean. There was a dead fly on our chosen table! We moved. The evening food was mediocre. Breakfast was better - a good choice but no fresh fruit selection on the 'open' breakfast table. Perhaps this is listed on the menu as an option, rather than a given along with the cereal, tea,coffee & fruit juices.
Staff were polite & helpful.
Would we go again........probably not.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

I booked a 2 night stay with Groupon for the junior suite, with king sized bed and separate seating area. what we got was a twin room with no seat at all and lots of small faults, which we started to count after 5- got to 23 in total ! The bed was so uncomfortable with no support, I kept waking up with bachache and had to have a hot bath next morning to ease my joints- in doing so I scalded my hand on the extremely hot water- no warning signs. The breakfast on the second morning was a disaster- we waited 45minutes for the cooked breakfast- my husband had only asked for 2 slices of toast!!!. Other guests were also waiting ages and we were all laughing about it in the end, to save getting very annoyed. One lady was served boiled eggs after a 45 minute wait just rolling round on her plate with no eggcups. The waitress said they didn't have any, but a male staff member finally found some. what a joke. another guest said he had asked for toilet rolls for his room several times and was still waiting- had borrowed from another guest's room. The whole trip was very disappointing and as I had bought another deal for my daughter I phoned Groupon and requested a refund for that trip, which I received without any problem. I emailed the hotel with my complaint and as yet have received no reply.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

I visited the hotel today for sunday lunch. Staff were very pleasant and helpfull. Decor very nice. Just a shame about the food. Sunday roast was very disappointing as the meat was tough. It was unedible. After informing the waitress she asked us to choose another meal from the menu. We then chose fish and chips which was better but very greasey.Wont be returning for a meal.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Dumbuckmanagement, General Manager at The Dumbuck House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. I am certainly disappointed that your experience was not all that it could have been.

We contacted the butcher regarding the cut of meat as we were aware that it was still pink right the way through and therefore had not been overcooked etc. Since then we have decided to use a new supplier.

Once again please accept our apologies with regards to your experience.

Dumbuck House Hotel Management

Reviewed August 3, 2012

I had my wedding in this hotel and it was fantastic. Had over 60 at my meal and had no problems atall food was gorgous, everything went smoothly. They decorated all my tables for me and they were just stunning. Staff were brilliant cant not fault them, drinks are very reasonable. Would recommend this hotel for a wedding or just for a meal. Food was great and they made my day perfect with no problems. The rooms are lovely, specially the honeymoon suite.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide feedback regarding our hotel. I am extremely pleased that you had such a great day.

We hope to see you again soon on your return to the hotel.

Thanks again.

Dumbuck House Hotel Management

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dumbarton
The Abbotsford Hotel
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Lodge on Loch Lomond
Golden Jubilee Conference Hotel
Rosslea Hall Country House Hotel

Been to The Dumbuck House Hotel? Share your experiences!