“The highlight for the children.”

Killiechronan Pony Trekking Isle of Mull
N yorks
106 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 105 helpful votes
“The highlight for the children.”
Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

I booked to take my 10 yr old twins on a novice hill ride early in the week. They enjoyed it so much they decided to pay for themselves to go on a novice beach ride later in the week. The ride was 'exciting' for novices, and felt like really riding. The ponies were enthusiastic. The views from the hill ride were stunning. The beach ride looked even better, wading through streams, trotting along the loch edge. The girls thoroughly enjoyed it, and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys ponies.
The rides were well organised, with plenty of helpers for novice riders.

Visited May 2013
5 Thank Lee67

Ilkley, United Kingdom
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Amazing my Mum and I really enjoyed it.”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We booked a beach ride, I am an intermediate rider my Mum a total novice. We had a lovely morning riding in the sun. My Mum was looked after really well, and I was able to do more advanced riding. We had a lovely time thank you.

Natasha Greenwood aged 10

Visited April 2013
6 Thank The_Greenwoods_53
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Fantastic experience for the whole family”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We were blessed with a beautiful day for a family pony trek on the West coast of the Isle of Mull. We are a mixed ability group - I'm a reasonably competent trekker, whilst my husband and children have various degrees experience from a respectable trot to none at all. The ponies had been selected to be appropriate to our ability, which meant that my pony was happy to break into a canter on the beach, whilst the others somehow managed to be dutiful, reasonably docile, but sufficiently characterful that you didn't think that they were totally bored by the experience of carrying yet another bunch of incompetent tourists...

Our guides, Jean and Nicky, couldn't have been more helpful, relaxed and encouraging, and very quickly event the total beginners were enjoying a trot along the beach. Watch out for my horse, Sid, who is renowned for sitting down in the river - which he duly did, much to everyone's amusement, with me on board! The coastal walk was followed by a trek up the hill, with the gorgeous view of Ben More in the distance.

I could not recommend this trip highly enough - a real highlight of our wonderful trip to Mull. We will be back!

Rowena, Paul and the boys

Visited October 2012
11 Thank Rosiestwins
Oxford, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Life-affirming riding through forests and surf”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

When I was planning my trip to Mull, I knew I wanted to ride so I booked a place to stay in Gruline very near Killiechronan Pony Trekking. So I booked two rides with Liz in advance - the mountain ride and the beach ride. Both were so good that I did a third, longer ride too!

Jean, who took me out, was calm, kind warm and friendly, utterly devoted to the ponies and always profoundly aware of my comfort and safety. All you could wish for in a trekking guide, in fact!

The ponies were healthy, happy, fit, well-cared for, calm and balanced. Above all I felt safe. I'm a pretty experienced rider and I felt completely in safe hoofs.

The wildlife-watching from horseback was spectacular - we saw eagles and deer at close range - creatures don't run away from you so much when you're on four legs. Though it has to be said that as we galloped through the surf, the flounders on the bottom of the loch zoomed away pretty sharpish when Smokey's hoofs pounded down.

I can't even begin to tell you how good I felt out riding with Jean at Killiechronan.

Thank you so much, Jean, I hope one day soon I can come back. After the ghastly 18 months I've had, you and Smokey made me feel alive again!

Visited September 2012
12 Thank Jane T
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Hill ride in the sun.”
Reviewed August 29, 2012

My friend and I booked a hill trek with Jean. We arrived to find we were booked in with a large family and Jean and Laurel arranged for the two of us to head off without the bigger group which was fantastic. I had Sid a great pony, really good natured but not a plodder. laurel who led the trek was lovely, one of the nicest, if not fastest treks I've had. I would recommend, and will definitely book next I've I'm on Mull. Watch the sign posting as its a little hard to find.

10 Thank Fiona M