“Life-affirming riding through forests and surf”

Killiechronan Pony Trekking Isle of Mull
Reviewed September 25, 2012

When I was planning my trip to Mull, I knew I wanted to ride so I booked a place to stay in Gruline very near Killiechronan Pony Trekking. So I booked two rides with Liz in advance - the mountain ride and the beach ride. Both were so good that I did a third, longer ride too!

Jean, who took me out, was calm, kind warm and friendly, utterly devoted to the ponies and always profoundly aware of my comfort and safety. All you could wish for in a trekking guide, in fact!

The ponies were healthy, happy, fit, well-cared for, calm and balanced. Above all I felt safe. I'm a pretty experienced rider and I felt completely in safe hoofs.

The wildlife-watching from horseback was spectacular - we saw eagles and deer at close range - creatures don't run away from you so much when you're on four legs. Though it has to be said that as we galloped through the surf, the flounders on the bottom of the loch zoomed away pretty sharpish when Smokey's hoofs pounded down.

I can't even begin to tell you how good I felt out riding with Jean at Killiechronan.

Thank you so much, Jean, I hope one day soon I can come back. After the ghastly 18 months I've had, you and Smokey made me feel alive again!

12  Thank Jane T

Reviewed August 29, 2012

My friend and I booked a hill trek with Jean. We arrived to find we were booked in with a large family and Jean and Laurel arranged for the two of us to head off without the bigger group which was fantastic. I had Sid a great pony, really good natured but not a plodder. laurel who led the trek was lovely, one of the nicest, if not fastest treks I've had. I would recommend, and will definitely book next I've I'm on Mull. Watch the sign posting as its a little hard to find.

10  Thank Fiona M
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Wonderful hill and beach ride in stunning area of the beautiful Isle of Mull. The owners and helpers were welcoming and friendly , the ponies sturdy and determined, wonderfully cared for and well turned out. The equipment [tack, helmets etc ] was all in great condition too, which is not always the case at other stables where I have ridden. The ride up the hill was stunning, and galloping along Loch Na Keal beach was an experience that I and my teenage daughter will treasure for ever. Altogether a wonderful experience

9  Thank Basandbets
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Warm & friendly welcome, lovely ponies forward but safe. We rode down to the beach & had fun playing & trotting through the water. Then headed up the hill on our surefooted mounts for spectacular views over the stunning scenery. A big thank you to Jean for looking after us so well. Great!

10  Thank Jill T
Reviewed August 23, 2012

As an experienced (but still a bit nervous) rider with my own pony, it was wonderful to ride such safe, easy ponies. They certainly know their job. Safety comes first, which is excellent, but we had some fast canters once Jean had ensured our group could all ride well enough. I'll never forget cantering through the waves on the lovely Iona, who gave me a great ride, keen but well mannered, at all of 13 hands high. I'll definitely be back!

8  Thank Andrea F