“Simply the best” 5 of 5 bubbles

Restaurant at Auberge Carnish
Ranked #21 of 70 Restaurants in Isle of Lewis
Cuisines: French, British, Scottish
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff
Nulvi, Italy
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Simply the best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

The food is mouthwatering! Auberge's blend of French and Hebridean cuisine is quite simply a tastebud sensation. Having eaten in restaurants all over the world my opinion is that this small restaurant tucked away in a beautiful bay on the Atlantic coast of the Isle of Lewis can stand with the best of them. Some of the dishes which utilise the freshest of local produce (especially seafood) prepared with more than a smattering of Gallic influence are a delight.

I am not a frequent reviewer but I was so taken aback at some of the comments posted here that I felt I should give my opinion. One reviewer described "portions small and prices high" so perhaps they were expecting something different. The food on offer at this establishment is top quality and the chef has developed some exquisite gastronomic creations. In addition my experience was that the portions were just right, after a meal I was satisfied and not overly full and always contemplating a return to experience the full range of the menu.

I love food, I enjoy making good food and 95% of restaurants I visit cannot make better food than I can make myself. Auberge is very definitely not in that category - perhaps because I know I can never achieve this level of culinary excellence I truly appreciate somewhere I can enjoy memorable food.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank since59

Dana Point, California, United States
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

We had been led to expect something really special but the food was a real let down. The meat was chewing and lacking in flavor. It was probably the least best restaurant of our trip.

Visited September 2013
gosport
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

Style over substance.The food was tasty but nowhere near as good as other places in the islands.Portions small and prices high.

Visited August 2013
UK
“Wow - Totally Amazing!! Tres Bon!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

Lost for words. Amazing place in a truly breathtaking location. Chef Richard could not have been more welcoming and friendly. Food was truly spectacular. Having been to the Three Chimneys on Skye a couple of days previously, we have to say that Richard's food surpassed anything we had there. Nothing pretentious about Auberge, just brilliant food and fantastic accommodation in beautiful surroundings. One night was not enough and we are already working on a return trip!!

Fantastique, Magnifique, Tres, tres Bon!!

3 Thank drjac
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“C'est tres bon”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

Unexpected find in a remote area of Lewis. Having sampled "quality" restaurants in Edinburgh this was more than equal if not superior. We received a warm welcome on arrival and were directed to an informal seating area to peruse the menu and decide on drinks; it was difficult to choose from the variety on offer. Most tables have a superb view of the sandy bay and hills beyond, lit by evening sunshine on our visit. The locally sourced food was so fresh, light and delicious; we both had the popular choice of monkfish and hand dived scallops - excellent. The service from the staff and attention of the chef added to a very enjoyable experience which we hope to repeat in the not too distant future, and would definitely recommend.

• Visited August 2013