“End of Season”

Restaurant at Auberge Carnish
Ranked #22 of 70 Restaurants in Isle of Lewis
Cuisines: French, British, Scottish
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff
United Kingdom
“End of Season”
Reviewed November 15, 2011

I think the title of this says it all. It was end of season. So, our impression was slightly lackluster. We were located right next door, so it was literally a 2 min walk to the restaurant which made it convienent. The owners did go out of their way to bake me a Birthday cake which my husband had arranged for a surprise. The chef/owner is French and does fabulous French food. The cake his wife made me was a fantastic chocolate mousse cake with a dusting of icing sugar on top in the shape of a heart. That was a very nice touch and he listened well to all of my husbands requests. What let it down was the server. She basically plopped the cake down in front of me without a word like she had done all night with the rest of our food. She just looked rushed off her feet with only two other tables and another group of four waiting for a table. The atmosphere was a little uncomfortable with bright spotlights shining down on each table, it was directly in my eyes, so we asked that it be turned away, which the server did but I felt we were a bother to her. Seriously though, they should consider dimming the spot lights and putting candlelight on the tables. It would go so far in creating the right ambience. The view. I'm sure it's lovely but we'll never know in the evening. The big long windows that wrap around the room which would take in a very lovely beach/water view are all for naught as they don't open for lunch. We tried to eat there again but they seemed to be closed for business every other day and always on the day we would have eaten there, even on a Friday!

• Visited October 2011

London, United Kingdom
“The ambience and the food inside was worthy of the glorious view from the dining room.”
Reviewed September 22, 2011

The food was excellent., ...the view spectacular......and it was a real treat to be there with friends. Although it may be possible to turn up on spec it is best to book in advance.

• Visited August 2011