“Not good”
Review of Martyrs Bay Rooms

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isle of Iona
Martyrs Bay Rooms
Ranked #5 of 12 Isle of Iona B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 30, 2012

Stayed here for two night in May 11. The accomodation is very basic and we were charged considerable more than other prices I see quoted on TA reviews, maybe a seasonal thing. There was no hot breakfast, you had to make do with cereal and access to a toaster. Iona is a lovely looking island highly recommend it, I woud never stay here again though.

Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank all_I_want4xmas

Reviewed August 18, 2011

My mother and I spent a few days on the island and were pleasantly surprised by the kind accomodation at Finlay Ross. Both gents were very attentive (even brought a left parcel form the shop to our room) and the atmosphere was Iona like. The room was clean and the beds were excellent. Breakfast and coffee and tea facilities were plenty. Scones for breakfast and great shortbread in the rooms every day. The shower wasn't all that good but sufficient for our use. The location was superb: near the pier (no problem with the luggage) and very central. View on the bay and a celtic cross, from our room. Good quality for the money we paid. We'd certainly go there again.

Room Tip: room 6 was quiet, away from the pub, good view and near a bathroom.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Joanne v
Reviewed August 11, 2011

ok first the good points it was relatively cheap £64 a night for twinroom with en suite and breakfast - breakfast was continental and lovely homemade huge scones available.

now the not so good points - they dont have a website but on iona.com it says "well appointed rooms" mmm maybe when they were furnished mid 70's they were but not now. old tired furniture, hard beds, lumpy pillows (i jest not) bedding so old the pattern was almost gone. ensuite facilities well the toilet was avocado say no more and the shower cubicle looked a bit health hazardy - my partner refused to use the shower - towels were old and threadbare - it had freeview tv but only because they were forced into it by end of analogue as it was an old tv with a freeview box. also the fact that the guy in the shop when we arrived said he would take the money first before we saw the room should have set alarm bells ringing.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank miss_celie
Reviewed June 29, 2011

We chose to stay at Finlay Ross because of the price and location. Iona is magical - and we could hear corncrakes calling from our room (at the back of the hostel). We also woke up to find 4 snipe outside the window one morning which was lovely. The room was very basic, but clean and tidy. There was a loud droning noise during the night that kept my other half awake one night - we could also hear the toilet flushing loudly in the shared bathroom. The shared bathrooms were adequate, although the water pressure in the showers was pretty poor. As other reviewers have noted, the breakfast isn't great - the worst we were offered on our trip to Scotland. It would be great to see things improved - a few minor changes and this would be a really cracking hostel.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank stringbean73
Reviewed May 30, 2011

Stayed for one night. Would have stayed another had we have felt the accomodation was value for money. Initial reaction when entering the property was a smell of damp. We were shown the rooms at the same time as another couple. They asked to see a property elsewhere that had en suite. The gent showing us around said they had to make a decision now as he was serving in the shop next door. Very poor customer service.
The room was fairly basic but was warm and clean. Hot water bags and additional blankets were in the cupboard if needed during a cold Scottish night.
We were told breakfast was continental and served prompt at eight. No flexibility and now you expect a cooked breakfast in a Scottish B and B? Disappointing.
The breakfast was juice, grapefruits, cereal, yogurts and tea or coffee. You made your own toast with a toaster that I think dated back to the sixties! I would expect at least cheese, ham and croissants as part of a continental breakfast?
I believe the business has just been taken over by the pub/restaurant over the road? The new owners have to spruce the place up, look at the plumbing for proper shower and tap operation, provide a quality breakfast in their premises across the road with maybe an 8 to 9.30 serving time, turn the existing breakfast room into a residents lounge and look to give the lad whos working their some assistance. He works in the shop, shows the rooms ( see my earlier comment ), serves the basic breakfast and I,m sure I saw him starting to clean the rooms.
The quality of B and B in Scotland is on the up. This business is on a special island and needs to get itself into the 21st century so that peoples visits are enhanced. People will then return to them because they want to not because there may be little choice

Room Tip: I think they,ll all be basic
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DundeeB
Reviewed March 28, 2011

Stayed two nights; the two Iona hotels were still closed for the season, and this B&B is located perfectly, so we booked it. They could not have been more helpful or more caring, looking after our needs very thoughtfully.

The rooms we booked were both en-suite doubles; satellite TV in each room, good showers, good heating. The rooms were clean and comfortable. Not as quiet as possible, since the bedroom windows face the pub, but groups leaving the pub and restaurant were not all that noisy, and in any case, not for long.

Breakfast was just fine; when I asked on the first day about adding some yogurt, it was there on the second day.

They provide a laundry service -- clean, dry, and fold for a small cost. They also provide a wireless internet connection -- the bandwidth is small and the service slow, but it does suffice for a quick check of email.

One change they might consider -- make the breakfast room available to guests throughout the day -- not for food, just for a place to sit and visit -- as the bedrooms do not have work tables.

Overall, a place I'd happily stay again.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank djsmapping
Bruichie, Guest Relations Manager at Martyrs Bay Rooms, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2011

Thankyou for your comments David.
We are responding to your suggestion of access to the breakfast room in the afternoons and hope this will give a more sociable atmosphere for guests.
The children certainly enjoyed your visit at the school.

Reviewed October 12, 2010

After having read previous reviews, I wasn't expecting luxury. However, I was pleasantly surprised by our room, which was clean and certainly large enough and very accommodating. Plenty of tea, coffee etc was left out for us and the lad who showed us to our room also instructed us how to operate the heater, if necessary. There was plenty of space in wardrobes etc and also a TV if we wanted. The en-suite bathroom was also quite large. We only stayed one night, and breakfast was fresh orange, fruit, cereal, toast with preserves and tea or coffee (Doug Egberts- lovely). The breakfast room was cosy and charming, certainly not cramped, although at this time of year (Oct) I assume they were not filled to capacity. I agree with previous comments that there was certainly enough to eat. Also, we could help ourselves to as much as we wanted. Altogether a very enjoyable stay on this beautiful island and we will be returning. The added bonus was that we stood on Martyr's Bay (just a few yards away!) to watch the sunrise over Fionnphort. One of the most amazing sights I've ever seen and a memory we will treasure.... beautiful! We'd definitely recommend this hotel, and we hope to return next year. The only "flaw" I can think of (and I'm nit-picking now) was a droning sound during the night, which I presume was a generator of some sort, but it didn't keep us from a very peaceful sleep.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
#2 of 3 in Pennyghael
Park Lodge Hotel
Park Lodge Hotel
#8 of 27 in Tobermory

Been to Martyrs Bay Rooms? Share your experiences!