“Bleak House”

Craigmore Guesthouse
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Aberfoyle
Craigmore Guesthouse
Ranked #8 of 9 Aberfoyle B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 24, 2012

On our cycling tour of Scotland we stayed in several B+Bs. All were excellent except this one.
The only good thing I can say about this place was that it was clean.
The house itself was quite shabby.
The room was gloomy and 'no-frills'. It seemed as thought the owners must be very penny pinching, everything was the cheapest and no attempt to make things cosy had been made. Little 'luxuries' like a bin and a bathmat were absent. There was no hairdryer in the room, although you could borrow one if you asked. The old mirror in the bathroom was so low you had to stoop to see in it, and you also had to peer as it had no light over it. the Bizarrely there were kitchen cupboards and a kitchen sink in the bedroom.
It was cold wet evening but all the house's doors were wide open and the place was freezing. Since the duvet was thin, I asked for an extra blanket and was eventually found one - a thin, stained throw.
The lady running the hotel was helpful when approached, but didn't have the warmth and friendliness we'd come to expect from Scottish B+Bs.
The breakfast was below par and my husband had to sneak his almost raw sausages out of the breakfast room and into a bin. I ordered the continental breakfast. My croissants were half an hour in the making and when 'they' came, they turned out to be just one croissant.
There was no visitor's book to write comments in - we weren't surprised.
I would urge anyone to avoid this place - as a seasoned B+B user, I would say it one of the worst B+Bs I've ever stayed at. It's not even particularly cheap - we stayed in far nicer places that cost less.
My husband summed Craigmore up as "shabby chic without the chic".

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Andrew M, Owner at Craigmore Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

Thank you for your review of our guesthouse, unfortunately over the past couple of weeks we have received some negative feedback though trip advisor and it is in our interest to ensure that our guests are happy and content whilst in our guesthouse. I am sorry that you felt the house was shabby, since taking over this building a couple ago we have invested a lot of time, money and care into this project. Although this doesnt jusitufy how you felt we have had a few issues with staff and a family friend has came and helped out the last couple weeks, she is definately approachbale and would go above and beyond her call of duty however it may take her a while to get there as she is new to the premises whilst helping us. Generally with regards to cyclists, we put the bikes away and anytime anyone is cold/chilly (and the weather has been terrible) we try to accomodate through hot water bottles and extra heaters which are supplied to guests. I am sorry you didnt enjoy breakfast and i wish you had of explaied your issues during your stay so that we could of helped and you may of left with a better feeling than what you have.

There are newer reviews for Craigmore Guesthouse

Reviewed May 21, 2012

Having read the reviews we did not know what to expect,but we were pleasantly surprised. From the moment we opened the front door the staff were friendly and very helpful. We booked the Craigmore as we were going to a wedding in the Black Bull hotel,Gartmore. There wasn't any taxis available despite the efforts of the staff to book one for us.
No problem for them, they quite simply drove us to Gartmore with their own car, fantastic!!

Our room was very adequate and spotless and we thought it was great value for what we paid

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank John-Pat-Jessica
Reviewed May 6, 2012

exactly the same as Kerrie C - can not say more : clean , kind service , breakfast OK but just want to move away -

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 19, 2012

We were at a party in the village and yes this was close. But it is certainly not what the website suggests. Most of the rooms are in the annexe at the back. Very clean, but it seems like they have followed a b&b manual .... Plastic cups wrapped in plastic, soap (who uses soap these days?!) It is clinical, it has pine furniture and has kitchen cupboards in the room, for what reason I couldn't work out. A small table for the tea/coffe tray/ kettle would suffice and make for a more spacious room!

Yes it wasn't expensive, yes it was close to town, yes it was clean, yes breakfast was on time, yes breakfast tasted ok, however, not what I expected from local produce. Clean bedding, nasty thin pillows, average bed, quiet, but lacking in any character. If there had been a Premier Inn I would have chosen that every time.

And the towels, well, they could remove the top layer of skin.

Good value? No, not for me, but maybe my expectations were a little higher, and why was that, because that is what their website led me to believe.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 30, 2011

What a disappointment - doesn't live up to the locally hosted website hype. We stayed at a quiet time of year and several rooms were left open. Three bathrooms have mouldy ceilings and the general decoration is very poor. Staff very supportive and helpful. Doesn't represent value for money; doesn't present the quailty it pretends to. Great location. A great opportun ity awaits the owner.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 10, 2010

I thought this place was great. Was a bit worried as I saw the previous reviews but had to book it because it was one of the few places available...

I found the staff friendly, chatty and accommodating. I thought the room was big, and it wasn't basic at all. It even had a little dressing table and mirror. The bathroom was huge and super clean, good shower. The food was tasty, and the location was perfect.

I don't think I could have asked for anything more. I think maybe the poor reviews are down to people expecting luxury - which this place isn't. But it doesn't advertise itself as being luxury and it's one of the cheapest places to stay in Aberfoyle. You can't really expect to pay for a cheap room and get something fancy!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Berry45
Reviewed September 13, 2010

weekend get together with friends was arranged , arrived early at the guest house and room already available and given a warm welcome . Rooms well presented and comfortable . Shower and toilet facilities good and the shower had plenty of hot water . Breakfast selection was excellent ,very filling and service very friendly .
Location is very good to cover lots of the area as well as being close to all the facilities in town .Would recomend a stay here any time.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aberfoyle
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
The Lake of Menteith Hotel
#1 of 1 in Port of Menteith
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel
Corrie Glen Bed & Breakfast

Been to Craigmore Guesthouse? Share your experiences!