“EXCELLENT FOR DISABLED GROUPS”
Review of Rob Roy Hotel

Rob Roy Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Aberfoyle
Reviewed October 7, 2010

We went with a group of 20 on a mobility coach. We have done these holidays since 1996 and this is one of the best hotels we have stayed at. The foor was excellent and there was a good joice. We are a very mixed group, youngest guest was 11 months, eldest 95. We had vegetarians, and people on special diets, everyone thought it was great. The tarmac riverside walk to the village is very good for wheelchairs, and baby bugies. The youngsters did find it dark coming back at night but took a torch. The staff were all very kind and helpful. The coach parking was good. We would recommend it to anyone. www.disabledadventureclub.org.uk

• Stayed: September 2010
1  Thank mayjune1945

Reviewed October 4, 2010

The reviews of this hotel appear to be of a four star hotel judging by the expectation deemed to be not realised by the reviewers.
We saw only smiling and happy faces of people who were enjoying their stay. The place is clean,comfortable and warm.
The staff are friendly and most helpful.
The area is outstanding but what really is outstanding is the quality of the food.
We spoke to many people and every one was surprised that anyone did not enjoy their stay.
Our advice is to come and see for yourselves.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 3, 2010

Perhaps I am too fussy but after watching the Hotel Inspector on TV, I now know what to look for in a hotel. Reception was a bit out-dated and the whole hotel had a tired look. Could do with being refurbished. The rooms could have done with a fresh coat of paint, there were dirty marks all over the walls, especially near the light switch. Only one bedside light working, towels on bed, instead of on towel rail. Only one cup between two people. I wasn't impressed with the room, the TV only had terrestrial channels on it and no wi-fi connection. The hotel is in a good location for travellers but doesn't actually have very interesting views from the rooms. I didn't sleep well due to the bed being very hard and my mother, who was in the room next door complained of being too cold to sleep very well.

On the plus side, the staff were very welcoming and the waiting staff at dinner and breakfast couldn't have been more attentive. The evening meal was very nice, breakfast was fine apart from the rubbery eggs which weren't even edible. Note:- fried eggs don't keep well under a hot grill.

The worst thing was the general run-down air about the place but the best thing was definately the staff. I wouldn't recommend this hotel for longer than a one night stay.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 6, 2010

Hated everything about my stay here it was awful ! It needs upgraded and soon Obviously owners dont give a damn and are banking on their old pensioners arriving weekly to provide their income !! Owners you are a disgrace to this establishment which could be so good ! Why do you not move on !!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank kathrynAberdeen
Reviewed May 30, 2010

My wife and I are in our mid twenties, and were looking for a comfy stay while exploring the lochs. While the other aspects of our trip were wonderful, the hotel sadly was not. It would definitely best be described as a motel, not a hotel, in layout, atmosphere, and quality.

Arrival was good, keys in the door and staff at reception seemed welcoming. The room was extremely basic, no pictures on the wall, early 1990's TV, kettle, and not much else. We were willing to pay to have a better TV, but one could not be provided. Uncomfortable mattress, ugly décor, cheap soap and towels. The room was clean enough when we arrived, but our sheets were not changed during our entire 4 night stay. Also, room service did not change our cups / mugs, or even wash them during our stay. Only rinsed them in our sink (unacceptable). We discovered this as my wife was drinking crème liquor, and the following night I poured a few fingers of Scotch in an assumedly clean glass, causing noticeable curdling and ruining my fancy booze. Disgusting. The bath was well stocked with towels each day, and the bathroom quite clean. We had mostly good experiences with the hot water, save for one surprisingly chilly moment. The rooms were maintained at a nice temperature also.

Dining was the highlight of the stay, breakfast was good and fresh, with many options (as long as you like Scottish breakfast, beans eggs toast cereal etc...). Dinner was hit and miss. Some dishes were edgy and delicious (given the cost), others were either simply bad or completely not thought out. Note: do NOT serve pasta with a roast potato side dish, that's just weird. I ordered lunch there twice and found it to be quite good. The bar was overpriced (I suspect due to the remote location) and did not have the necessary liquor license to make me a cocktail. Shots or pints only. I expressed first disbelief and then despair that I could not get a Rob Roy cocktail at it's namesake. Also the majority of bar staff did not understand basic English, or we at least had some kind of communication breakdown. Ordering a cup of ice should not be a chore. The dining room wait staff were attentive, friendly, and courteous.

The area surrounding the hotel is truly beautiful, with wildlife abound and little pollution. We saw sheep, deer, horses, and many spawning frogs while wildlife watching. Also there are many nice plants and trees here, truly a great place to go backpacking or on a day hike. Aberfoyle is loaded with rustic charm, friendly locals, and a nice atmosphere. We took lots of nice pictures in the countryside. Bring supplies however, since there is not even a chemist's in town.

In retrospect, it was a good stay due to location since we mainly intended to explore the countryside and not stay in all day. However I was not impressed with the hotel itself and they have gone to every length possible to cut costs and corners, from the beds to the soap, to the amenities in general. The cleaning staff did a very sub-par job, but the dining was generally favourable. I think there are probably better options available in this part of Scotland for the money. We did enjoy the trip but a few small details would have moved this up in my book from an adequate stay, to a great one.

My verdict; the price was quite low but you get what you pay for. Spend a few extra quid per night and you won't regret it.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MusicMan357
Reviewed May 30, 2010

THE Hotel might be 2* but its better than some travel lodges i have stayed in ,I was clean and the staff were friendly
The food wasn't what you would expect from a 2* hotel more like 5* +
VERY VERY GOOD INDEED overall it was excellent . Would gladly stay again and will do so and would recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2010
Reviewed May 17, 2010

I stayed here in October 2009 with my 7 year old daughter and we loved it, so we came back in April with my Mum and Dad and 92 year old Granmother. We had the midweek deal again of £75 dinner bed and breakfast and its fantastic, evening meals are lovely, only downside is the hotel caters for bus trips and they can be very noisy as there is entertainment on at nights for them so they all walk back to there room between 11pm and 12am, and sometimes they can leave at 7am, an upstairs room to the back is better.
But overall its a great place to stay in a great part of the world, will be back.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aberfoyle
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
The Lake of Menteith Hotel
The Lake of Menteith Hotel
#1 of 1 in Port of Menteith

Been to Rob Roy Hotel? Share your experiences!