“good for coach parties” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Aberfoyle
Derby
“good for coach parties”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2011

Stayed here for 4 nights as part of a coach trip to see the Tattoo in Edinburgh..Breakfast buffet style very good plenty to eat.Evening meal good choice of 3 courses plus tea or coffee.Main meal plated and had the same vegetables each evening.No tables for 2 shared with 10 people.bedrooms clean and large Good touch was the supply of shower gel in bathroom.hairdryer provided. Only criticism is that as each party was visiting the Tattoo on different evenings , people returning late (1am) showed no respect for those in bed and were very noisy on return.Did suggest to the management that a notice should be displayed in the corridors.If you like walking there is a footpath to Aberfoyle which is off the road.and pleasant.

4 Thank silvertopderby

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Czech first
Crewe, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2011

A lumpy bed, cold baked beans and tinned (not grilled as told on information) tomatoes. . . .both of which were in a tiny pot on the cold plate ! The rest of the breakfast was just warm. Miserable scruffy staff. Dont believe the website photos. . . .Believe me !

The room was pretty clean and the shower was good, but thats it !!! The place needs pulling down and rebuilding.

• 2 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Aberfoyle hotels

Clydebank, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2011

One night stay here on bb&d basis, cheap deal through 5p.m. I have stayed in better bed & breakfast accommodation. First of all, room was booked for disabled person who uses wheelchair. There is no way we could have negotiated entrances if we hadn't had help from very kind guests. The bathroom was difficult to manouver and had no grab rails required for disabled. Rest of room was reasonable. Dinner was a bit of a joke. Thirty seconds after giving our order, the first course was on table! No sooner had table been cleared then next course was placed in front of us! All in all dinner took about twenty minutes. The food was mediocre at best. As I've said, we had a cheap deal through 5p.m. but if I had paid the full tariff I would have been putting in complaints and asking for my money back!
The saff was all very pleasant so no complaints there!
We were housed in an accommodation block and had to navigate the whelchair through potholes.
Would certainly not recommend this hotel!

East Kilbride, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2011

I have just returned home from one night at the Rob Roy where my wife and I stayed while attending a wedding nearby.
Prior to booking I checked the hotel's web site but stupidly took the photos and information there in good faith. I did not unfortunately check reviews on trip advisor as I usually do.
On arrival we were struck by the dingy reception area and the musty odour. I should have realised that all was not going to go well when I was asked to pay for the room there and then. Being in a hurry to check in and get ready for the wedding I did not question this unusual practice and paid up.
We were handed a key and told where to find our room which was a 2 day camel ride across a car park that looked like a remnant from the Bosnian war. I concur with other contributors who liken the accommodation block to an Eastern European concentration camp. When we eventually made it to our room I was appalled by the tatty, dirty, clapped out dump that awaited us. The furniture was 1970's MFI, chipped and marked. The walls were bare and in need of a repaint, the TV was ancient - not the flat screen shown on the web site! The headboard was a dirty brown velour that only just came above the pillows and there was no way I was letting my head come into contact with it!
The tired old bedspread was torn and bobbled on the underside, the sheet lay directly on the mattress - no mattress protector or under blanket, the bed was as lumpy as the Firth of Clyde in a gale.
I tried to use my mobile phone as I was all set to look for accommodation elsewhere but unfortunately could get no signal. I would have left there and then. I could see why they had asked me to pay on arrival - to deter any escape attempt.
I called reception and told the foreign chap that the room was not what was represented on the web site and that I was dissatisfied with it. He said he would check my booking and see if he had a better room available. He offered to call me back in five minutes.
Five minutes later and he had not called back so a short time later I called him again. He told me that I had booked a standard room and that is what I had been given. I would contend that the room was sub standard in anybody's book and definately not what was portrayed on their web site. I had not been offered any alternative room when I booked and I see from the web site that there are only 4 upgraded rooms anyway.
The foreign chap offered us an alternative standard room and sent another foreign person along to collect us and take us to the other room. This room was much better. A fair description of it would be 'Rubbish'. We elected to take this room which had chipped furniture again, mould on the grouting in the shower, two different types of tiles in the shower where it had been patched up, or possibly renovated by Rob Roy standards. The whole place was in need of a complete gut out. The interior of the drawers were filthy and I would not put anything clean in them.
No lock on the bathroom door, clearly it fell off many years ago. To top it all off this bed had a crinkly plastic mattress protector on it which made you feel like you were sleeping in an old folks home! It made a noise every time you moved and you could feel the sheet sliding around on top of it.
Thankfully I had an alcohol induced slumber so I managed not to think about what other horrors might be lurking in the room.

Breakfast was an interesting experience. A surly young foreign chap brought us tea, coffee and toast followed moments later by a similar young lady bringing us more tea, coffee and toast! The buffet breakfast was nasty - my wife discovered something disturbingly similar to a pubic hair peeping out from under a slice of grease laden black pudding. I opted for a fried egg which had been left swimming in a vat of oil and took some time to drain it off.

Friends of ours who were also staying at the Rob Roy came to breakfast looking weary - they had been kept awake until well after 3am by a party in the corridor outside their room. We also noted how paper thin the walls were and how every door closing and footstep in the hall way could be heard.

To sum up - this place is a national embarrassment. Perhaps that is why all the staff appear to be foreign! Nobody Scottish would really want to be associated with this dump. There are so many good value hotels, inns and B&B's in the area that it is incredible the Rob Roy survives at all. I can only imagine it is down to their misleading website. Which amusingly poses the question "Could there be a more perfect and idyllic setting for a wedding?". Are you serious! Of course there is - loads of them - in fact almost all of them would be better than this!

Room Tip: Book somewhere - anywhere - else
12 Thank snowcol
golspie,sutherland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2011

I would say we were robbed!! this is a dingy old fashioned hotel which set us back a whopping £70 a night!!! eek when I think about it now it makes me cringe the staff on reception were friendly but the guy in the restuarant at breakfast time was a tad abrupt! We didnt stay to eat at night as the menu didnt appeal but Callander which is a lovely wee place is only 14 miles away or aberfoyle is with in walking distance, would defo not go back!!

Room Tip: not sure there is one
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2011

My wife and I went for a one night dinner, bed & breakfast through a Groupon deal. Although I wasn't expecting too much, the first impression was poor - the hotel looks like an old rundown place, complete with huge potholes in the drive.

We actually had one of the larger rooms and it was better than I thought on the way over to the separate housing block. The room was adequate and clean, with enough space. The TV only had 4 channels which was a bit poor, but it is only 2 stars - it had a DVD player which would have been a bonus if you could but any DVDs within a 10 mile radiius (Aberfoyle don't sell such modern things!). Bed and pillows were very comfy.

The evening meal was not bad at all. After a meagre starter, we both had a lovely salmon dish. The sweets were a bit lame and my wife's crannaghan came complete with a mouldy raspberry... Otherwise, the dinner and breakfast were fine. We didn't stay in the bar as it was fully lit with everyone sitting along the windows like my idea of some US truck stop.

All in all though, although I wouldn't really go back, it wasn't as bad as the first impressions would suggest.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2011

Hi, just stayed at the Rob Roy for one night for a birthday celebration for my brother,andhave to say this is very basic accomodation. My room was very small and the bed should be in the skip that was at the back of our room.Although the bedding was clean, it didnt go all the way to the floor and you could see the base, and as said before it should be in the skip.The rooms are in a long ground floor building away from the main entrance, and we had a couple of Hen Parties in and it was very very noisy till 3am and then it started again at 9am for breakfast. The food was fine and had no complaints there and the staff were friendly and helpfull, A 2 star at best.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aberfoyle
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Poppies Hotel & Restaurant
Roman Camp Hotel
Roman Camp Hotel
#1 of 6 in Callander

Been to Rob Roy Hotel? Share your experiences!