Review of Go Ape

Go Ape
Ranked #1 of 12 things to do in Aberfoyle
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Take in the stunning surroundings of Queen Elizabeth Forest Park as you fly 46 metres above the ground on two of Britain's longest zip wires. Located in the Trossachs National Park, it's a mecca for Go Ape pilgrims, thrill seekers, adventure lovers and those that just want to get out and have some fun in Loch Lomond. At the turn of the year our award winning adventure at Queen Elizabeth Forest had a tree-lift. Not only have we put in all new obstacles and crossings, we’ve rethought the entire layout of the course, meaning you get to see parts of the forest you wouldn’t have seen last time. With the new design comes a unique aspect for those adventurous monkeys out there – a dual course. That means you now have a choice of which route you take – moderate or extreme. Along these routes you’ll encounter brand new back-to-back black crossings - don’t worry these are optional. Sound challenging enough for you?
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed April 10, 2013

One of the few times in Scotland I've used a so called 'attraction' and haven't came away thinking 'what a rip off'.
Very friendly staff and a great family orientated activity that took in about two and a half hours, great laughs all round. The Tarzan Swing took your breath away and possibly part of your heart too ha ha. Well worth a visit.

All reviews
in 8 reviews
"all ages"
in 17 reviews

Reviewed April 9, 2013

A group of 6 of us went in March. It was my first visit though all the others had been previously.

Starting off the training was very clear with perhaps the only downside being the slight delay before getting started. They talk you through how their system works and advise anyone can get their money back if they now no longer want to proceed (which a few people did and were then given a full refund. You are then supervised for the first big zip-line that takes you across the valley over to the main course.

Once across you have a 3 minute climb up a hill and then complete a series of obstacles around 6 meters up in the trees which get very slightly more difficult as you progress (though none are particularly hard). Towards the end there are some harder challenges which you can take or alternatively take an easier route if it looks too tricky. You finish with the big zip-line back over to the starting point which gives brilliant views.

Almost as soon as we stopped the heavens opened, we got lucky but I imagine if you were to get stuck in torrential rain while doing this it would be alot less fun.

Its also worth mentioning that we had another member of our group who was unable to make it at the last minute. I was not expecting a refund on this as the terms say you need to give 24 hours notice. But without even asking we were offered and then given a full refund for the unused ticket.

All in all a great few hours out, possibly a bit expensive but a good course, fantastic staff and great customer service.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

A rash promise to the smaller of the teenagers, meant that I had to follow through with a trip to Go Ape for her 15th birthday. She had been before but it was my first visit and to be honest I was scared witless about it. We had pre-booked and got a discount because the teenager has signed up for the Duke of Edinburgh Award. Given the price of an afternoon at Go Ape, the discount was very helpful.

The training that we got from Jim, before we started was very thorough and although I spent most of my childhood climbing trees, I was never as high as I was today. Everyone under the age of 18 has to be directly supervised, which means they go first. Personally I think that this is a way of ensuring that the adult does not cop out of going on the first zip wire, as your teenager will have gone in front of you. Looking down on the zipwire from the first platform if I had gone first may have meant that I didn’t go any further…

The remaining 4 areas on the other side of the gorge were a much easier matter. Most people could manage these and instructors were around for assistance if required. When there were extremely difficult moves, there were easier options. However please take gloves.
I managed not to land on my feet at any of the zipwires! It was great fun.

Please book this in advance.

1  Thank FaeGlasgow
Reviewed April 5, 2013

So exciting but easy for anyone to do. All of the staff were so helpful and friendly. The David Marshall lodge had great food for afterwards as well.

1  Thank Keith M
See more reviews
Reviewed April 4, 2013

After picking up a leaflet in a hotel over 40 miles away, I thought what a great day out for me and my daugther.

After travelling over an hour with a very excited child, we arrived in Aberfoyle area and eventually found the badly sign posted venue. Parking is a different story all together.

We went to office to pay and commence our 3 hour over priced adventure, to find that my daughter was too young. Although I did try and look on the website for such details, only too find that it was under maintenance, Easter Holidays and their website was down, great planning that was by the company.

£30 for adult £24 pound for children, which in reality for climbing around in some trees seems to be a little excessive!!!

So maybe on there leaflets that they leave all over perthshire and stirlingshire, they should mention the height and age restriction, and also the price, but I think if they mention the price they would be a very quiet attraction.

Get a grip, pardon the pun, with 4 people in our party it would of cost over £100, in reality you are climbing round in trees, I would like to know how they justify charging these prices for aparatus that is natural and no prior building costs.

Also they should maybe deal with children that cant understand why they have to be 10 to climb in a tree. I should of giving them the fuel receipt for the wasted journey.

11  Thank andyturn