“More fun than expected”

Go Ape Aberfoyle
Ranked #1 of 11 things to do in Aberfoyle
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Take in the stunning surroundings of Queen Elizabeth Forest Park as you fly 46 metres above the ground on two of Britain's longest zip wires. Located in the Trossachs National Park, it's a mecca for Go Ape pilgrims, thrill seekers, adventure lovers and those that just want to get out and have some fun in Loch Lomond. At the turn of the year our award winning adventure at Queen Elizabeth Forest had a tree-lift. Not only have we put in all new obstacles and crossings, we’ve rethought the entire layout of the course, meaning you get to see parts of the forest you wouldn’t have seen last time. With the new design comes a unique aspect for those adventurous monkeys out there – a dual course. That means you now have a choice of which route you take – moderate or extreme. Along these routes you’ll encounter brand new back-to-back black crossings - don’t worry these are optional. Sound challenging enough for you?
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Glasgow
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“More fun than expected”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

A rash promise to the smaller of the teenagers, meant that I had to follow through with a trip to Go Ape for her 15th birthday. She had been before but it was my first visit and to be honest I was scared witless about it. We had pre-booked and got a discount because the teenager has signed up for the Duke of Edinburgh Award. Given the price of an afternoon at Go Ape, the discount was very helpful.

The training that we got from Jim, before we started was very thorough and although I spent most of my childhood climbing trees, I was never as high as I was today. Everyone under the age of 18 has to be directly supervised, which means they go first. Personally I think that this is a way of ensuring that the adult does not cop out of going on the first zip wire, as your teenager will have gone in front of you. Looking down on the zipwire from the first platform if I had gone first may have meant that I didn’t go any further…

The remaining 4 areas on the other side of the gorge were a much easier matter. Most people could manage these and instructors were around for assistance if required. When there were extremely difficult moves, there were easier options. However please take gloves.
I managed not to land on my feet at any of the zipwires! It was great fun.

Please book this in advance.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank FaeGlasgow

Milngavie, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Fantastic”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

So exciting but easy for anyone to do. All of the staff were so helpful and friendly. The David Marshall lodge had great food for afterwards as well.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Keith M
Scotland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Absolutely Shocking”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

After picking up a leaflet in a hotel over 40 miles away, I thought what a great day out for me and my daugther.

After travelling over an hour with a very excited child, we arrived in Aberfoyle area and eventually found the badly sign posted venue. Parking is a different story all together.

We went to office to pay and commence our 3 hour over priced adventure, to find that my daughter was too young. Although I did try and look on the website for such details, only too find that it was under maintenance, Easter Holidays and their website was down, great planning that was by the company.

£30 for adult £24 pound for children, which in reality for climbing around in some trees seems to be a little excessive!!!

So maybe on there leaflets that they leave all over perthshire and stirlingshire, they should mention the height and age restriction, and also the price, but I think if they mention the price they would be a very quiet attraction.

Get a grip, pardon the pun, with 4 people in our party it would of cost over £100, in reality you are climbing round in trees, I would like to know how they justify charging these prices for aparatus that is natural and no prior building costs.

Also they should maybe deal with children that cant understand why they have to be 10 to climb in a tree. I should of giving them the fuel receipt for the wasted journey.

Visited April 2013
9 Thank andyturn
Dundee
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Fantastic attraction!!”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

I was more than apprehensive about visiting go ape not being the bravest of people! However the staff were very welcoming. Hannah showed us the ropes (literally). She was very thorough, fitted our harnesses and talked us through how to attach the lines to various clips and wires.

The first zip wire was amazing! I didn't quite make it to the other side and had to hang tight till a staff member (who must have amazing upper body strength!) Who attached herself to me and pulled me the rest of the way. Gave me time to admire the beautiful waterfall.

The obstacles are brilliant and get progressively more difficult. If you follow the rules and stay attached at all times you can't fall. I felt very safe throughout the course. There are zip wires off each obstacle which are so much fun. The two Tarzan swings are great fun although the second one is much higher and very intimidating! Took me a while to step off the edge and I think the whole forest heard me squeal! The more nervous can choose to avoid this swing and take a simpler route.

The final zip wire out of the forest was exhilarating! Flying through the trees, I felt like a real life Tarzan (or should that be Jane?) I faced and overcame a lot of personal fears.

A word of advice would be to go early. We were first on the attraction meaning there was no hanging around waiting to get on an obstacle. When we were finishing there were queues building up. Definitely an experience I would love to repeat!

Visited March 2013
1 Thank milkybuttons
Glasgow, United Kingdom
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“AMAZING!! and I hate heights”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I was feeling a bit apprehensive about our trip as I do have a fear of heights and falling especially if I am in charge of my own safety. However my mind was soon put at ease as were shown how to be safe on the course and we weren't allowed to leave the safety area until the staff were certain we could manage. Well they don't wait around with the high areas (i thought they would have built us up to the high parts) We were straight onto a massive zipline (which took a bit of persuasion) but once i had let go it was amazing. What a rush!! There rest of the course was just as good with sections where you could challenge yourself or take a slightly easier (though just as scary) route. Was good that you could have other friends etc on the ground cheering you on. Great value for money and cannot wait to try out some of the other courses throughout the country!

Visited June 2012