“Excellent hotel. Central location.”

Holiday Inn Express Hamilton
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Hamilton
Hove, United Kingdom
“Excellent hotel. Central location.”
Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

Have stayed here with my wife and kids a few times over the last couple of years and have never had any problems, with facilities, staff, food or cleanliness. All in tip top order. One or two gripes, not hotels fault, more location. There is free parking to the hotel, but you have to share with the cinema goers and shoppers. So it can be a bit crowded. There is a pay and display across the road though. At night you also have the local gum ball rally (boy racers) doing there best to keep you awake. Try a bedroom facing the back if you are a light sleeper. The rooms are light and airy and always spotless, but no bath only a shower. Relax by the bar at night, it's such a large lounge/dining area that even if it gets abit busy, you can always find a quiet corner. And free wifi at the bar. Breakfast has a variety of continental and some nice hot stuff too. All in all we think its just a nice hotel.

Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
GMHamilton, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hamilton, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank you Jim for your review of the stays that you have enjoyed with your family over the years, I am glad that you find the hotel to be just what you are looking for.

Our brand all have showers as standard, hence there are no baths in our rooms, but I never seem to have time for a bath anyway! The boy racers have been moved on, so they should not present an issue.

When you were in the lounge / bar area, I hope you made use of the free Wi-Fi, as every day I see more and more guests using Skype or Facetime to keep in touch.

Once again, thanks for your comments and I look forward to seeing you here again soon,

Mark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Polish first
Lossiemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 12, 2013

1. Room - The room was good and there was 2 double beds 1 for my mum & sister and 1 for me. It was very nice and clean and the bathroom was nice & the shower was good temperatures. I had put an wake up alarm on for 06:30am.
2. Breakfast - Breakfast was really good I had croissants with Jam on and there was a big selections of other options.
3. Staff - The Staff was very polite and helpful and the manager said: The people will be coming in from the pub at 22:30pm. And they might hear some noise.
4. Complaints- 1. Car parking was not good because we had to go to ASDA to park our car.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you White P for the feedback on your recent stay with us.

From your comments, you were in one of our family rooms, which has a double bed and a double sofa bed, and are naturally very popular with families, especially as our rates are always "per room" and includes breakfast, so for a family of four, it really works out great value.

The car park is not our own to control, hence sometimes it can get very busy, but it is free and spaces do come around in time. It was also nice of you to comment on how helpful the manager on duty was, thanks.

Hopefully we will be able to welcome you back, either for another tournament, or to visit some of the local free attractions such as Summerlee or Chatelherault.

Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I stayed here for one night Jan 2013. The reception, bar area and restaurant are open plan and relaxing. All staff are friendly and welcoming. There's a couple of restaurants near by, and Asda plus JD sports and Next. Parking is free but you have to enter the car reg into a screen located on reception otherwise you'll be fined. My room was located on the 2nd floor and was big and quiet. Like all HIE hotels there's no bath , just one big shower , which was fine for me. My only minor issue (and its a bug bare of mine) is the sealant around the bottom of the shower was mouldy (no excuse). Overall I enjoyed my stay and will be sure to use this hotel again when i'm in the area on business.

Room Tip: Free Wifi in hotel reception area only , not in your room however.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
GMHamilton, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hamilton, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you "Forest4ever" for your feedback on your stay with us last week.

You have painted a great image of the hotel, our staff's welcoming attitude, and the local facilities, so many thanks for that. With regards to the sealant in the bathroom, our team have been working to bring these up to the level required and should have captured them all since your departure.

Within your feedback, you mention about being in the area for business - do drop me an email gm.hamilton@holidayinnexpress.org.uk if you wish me to look at setting up an agreed rate for you.

Thanks Again

Aberdeen, Scotland
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Four of us stayed in a twin and double room at Holiday Inn Express Hamilton last night. Once we worked out where to park our car, everything else was easy! Check-in was done very professionally and our rooms were lovely. For reasons I'm unsure about, my partner and I had been given a disabled room with an adjoining door - didn't really bother us but I'm surprised that for a Sunday night they didn't have anything else available?

Bed was very comfy and I slept well, and the floor-to-ceiling window was a nice touch. Bar was nice although £5.10 for a small glass of wine is extortionate - even in a hotel bar!

Breakfast in the morning was nice although no bacon - ????!

Overall we were very pleased with Holiday Inn and thought that for £25 a head there wasn't an awful lot that could seriously be faulted.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Hi there Jo

Thanks for posting the review of your recent stay with us, naturally I was pleased to read that you found the hotel to be "brilliant for a night's stay" - just the kind of reaction that we are trying to get from all of our guests.

For others looking for the car park, it is shared with the VUE cinema and is shown by the white arrows in photos 26 - 28 of the traveller photos, or just call us to explain.

Our complimentary breakfast offering includes scrambled egg, beans and sausage, and the reason that there is no bacon there, is that we are restricted in what we can put out. That having been said, I have made a note about your feedback and will pass it along with our regular feedback.

Once again, thanks for the feedback and we hope to see you again soon,

Nottinghamshire
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Stayed for 1 evening during December. Found the place within easy distance of the main motorways. Chose this as ideal starter point for trip into Glasgow. Located on a main roundabout, with shopping complex next door, with plenty of places to eat. No Hotel Car parking, you park your car in the shopping complex, and log your details at reception. Fair enough.
Check in, quick as always. asked for smoking room....(a change from the norm), everything else in the room as standard, with tv/coffee making etc. Also asked for optional in room internet connection, which was fast.

Hotel clean, comfortable and modern, downstairs wifi acceptable.

All in all, ideal place for 1/2 night stop over into Glasgow.

Room Tip: Ask for non smoking room, if you dont smoke. (Obviously)
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
GMHamilton, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hamilton, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Hi There Guilty Bear

Thank you for your review of the recent stay you had with us in Hamilton. Delighted to read that you found the hotel handy for your visit to Glasgow, and that the hotel facilities were good for you.

The smoking provision is something that we are looking at within the hotel, and hopefully we will come to resolution in the near future.

Regards

Reviewed December 30, 2012

Shower was Luke warm, and no baths??!!! reported this to 2 members of staff (I was staying for 2 nights) nothing was done. Room and communial areas smelt very faggy but I was on a smoking floor. Felt perhaps plug ins or windows open etc would benefit the communial areas. As very stale smelling. As mentioned in other reviews was very poor breakfast and if it wasn't for the location I prob wouldn't stay again. Right next door to a night club but they offer free ear plugs lol.

• Stayed December 2012
Stacy

Thank you for your feedback on the stay that you had recently, I am sorry that some aspects could be improved - we will certainly look at improving our performance and successfully dealing with items brought to our attention.

All of the bathrooms contain a shower, rather than a bath, as this is part of the Holiday Inn Express brand profile, however it should have been hot. A review is currently under way with regards to the smoking floor, and it is likely that the whole hotel will become non smoking.

The free breakfast should be something that is more than acceptable, with hot items along with the Continental selection, and I will make note of your comments,

I hope that on a future visit you do find that the hotel has improved on these areas,

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed December 29, 2012

called into your hotel yesterday to book a room for the day . one of your male staff that was on duty at around 11 o clock in the morning called to see me at the desk ive stayed there a few times but got treated very well .. i asked if there was a room avaible for the day because i had being travelling all morning from ireland he said i have a room for 69,99 i said yes ill take that i said i may ring my wife in ireland for the card details he said that would be fine so when i got the details he said i cant accept them , why did he say yes in the first place ,, then i said ive being here a few tims and this is what he said I DONT CARE IF U STAYED HERE FIND SOMEWHERE ELSE . i couldn beleve my ears its a ression do they not need buisness put it this way ill never stay there again and i spend a lot of time in scotand , so make sure u train your staff how to treat your customers ..

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
GMHamilton, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hamilton, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Michael

My apologies if you were inconvenienced by the hotel's procedures when you were trying to book a room at the front desk.

Like all companies dealing with credit card transactions, the hotel has put policies in place to protect the cardholder and amongst these steps, the use of a card not physically present is subject to specific criteria in order to eliminate unauthorised sales to a card. Failing to seek the appropriate authorisation would be negligent on the hotel's behalf and outwith the terms of our contract with the card processing company.

Upon arrival, it was not made clear to the staff that the card which was to be used for settlement of your account was not held in your possession, or in your name. It was for this reason that we requested that card holder be sent an authorisation form to be completed and returned to the hotel, as is done with all such transactions, however you rejected this solution.
The offer to settle with cash was an alternative, however you were unhappy with our request for a deposit and photographic ID, which again is a standard policy of the hotel, and so choose to leave the hotel to seek alternative accommodation. At no point were you ever refused accommodation, and, having spoken with the staff on duty, I do not believe that they would use the language that you refer to.

I am sorry that on this occasion you felt aggrieved and frustrated by the hotel's position, however, as I have outlined above, these are put in place for the protection of our guests, rather than any attempt to be obtuse.

Perhaps I can draw upon the enjoyable times that you have previously experienced as a more favourable impression of the hotel

Regards

Mark
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hamilton
Days Inn Hamilton
The Alona Hotel
The Alona Hotel
#5 of 9 in Motherwell
Innkeepers Lodge Glasgow, Strathclyde Park

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hamilton? Share your experiences!