“First Class”
Review of Avonbridge Hotel

Avonbridge Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Hamilton
Reviewed April 3, 2014

Stayed overnight on business - booked at the last minute. I have visited The Avonbridge for dinner & lunch many times over the years but never stayed. I was delighted by the level of service and the standard of the room. The price I paid was the equivalent of a travel lodge but the staff and breakfast were outstanding. My room was freshly decorated with a faint smell of fresh paint. Lots of hot water, comfortable bed and soft furnishings were squeakily new / spotless. I mentioned on checking in that I was going to a function and might need help getting into my dress... not a problem! "Just phone down to reception and one of us will come up and help you". As it turned out, I just needed help with the last wee bit of the zip but Margaret the receptionist was happy to help when I got down there. Breakfast was outstanding... so good that I returned to my room on the Saturday morning and fell asleep until after 11am. Again, the reception staff were outstanding and a lovely friendly phone call reminder from Mary got me roused and ready to check out. All in all, lovely family run hotel - obviously invested heavily in upgrading rooms but still managing to retain that friendly, personal attention

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Davros69

Reviewed March 18, 2014

We stayed at the Avonbridge in June of 2013. There was a wedding at the hotel and the orchestra didn't stop until midnight. Don't get a front room facing the road, it was so noisy we couldn't sleep. There is no elevator in the hotel so be prepared to lug your bags up the stairs. The bathroom floor was filthy as was the carpet in our room.

Room Tip: Don't get a room facing the road.... very noisy.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mcookab
Reviewed March 10, 2014

We decided to try this place out one day once for lunch and had such a great time, not because of the food but because it was like being in the middle of a comedy sketch. There was a small wedding party in and as we were seated near to the table being set up to accomodate around 20 wedding guests, and were lucky to witness the "preparations" from ring-side seats. First the cake was brought in to be set up on a small table, well it must have taken the man arranging the tablecloth about 20 tries to actually set the square tablecloth on the square table, then the cake stand had to be footered around before finally, with bated breath, we watched the cake almost slipping from his grasp before being placed onto the stand, whew thank goodness that was over! Next, two different staff members went along the 20 places at the table setting out menus. Two mins later the man from the cake setting-out came along and picked up all the menus and walked away, only to return and set out the menus again exactly as they had been previously, followed with more fussing with place settings, tablecloths etc. Then the cake knife arrived to be arranged beside the cake, on the left, on the right, in front, then back to the left. Next in came the bride and groom, with their photographer, and at the same time a maintenance man, with step ladders, commenced replacing light bulbs in the ceiling! The photographer had her work cut out in placing the bride and groom and avoiding the maintenance man complete with dirty overalls, the shabby roman blinds, and all us other diners, appearing in their wedding photos. The bride,I must add, looked absolutely beautiful and serene and her bias-cut wedding dress was lovely and elegant. Anyway, food OK, service OK, entertainment Excellent!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gemma W
Reviewed March 7, 2014

If you want a good nights sleep and nice staff who don't accuse you of doing anything illegal in your room without proof please go elsewhere....trust me! I have had a dreadful time since staying here last week....x

Room Tip: Just don't book here....very noisy...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
4  Thank BillieBunny123
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Stayed here on business for two nights in February. Bit puzzled at first as I was given at TV Remote along with the key when I checked in. I must admit that if this practice with the TV Remote is not 100% necessary it is not a good idea, because when it happened to me I thought if people round here mislay TV Remotes what else is likely to go missing. But this hotel proved to be very nice. Rooms are clean and of reasonable size. Not 100% happy with the use of soap dispensers instead of small soaps. Breakfast in my opinion was very good and was freshly cooked. The hotel is also well located. I would recommend this hotel to people I knew and liked. Yes really very good.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank cumbrianworker
Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

Super hotel with excellent and friendly staff. Was booked in by a third party, so was not sure what to expect. Was not disapointed. The room was spacious and spotless. Breakfast next morning was good. Will be staying next time i'm in the area.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Brian F
Reviewed January 17, 2014

I had only been here once before and many years ago. It has a good reputation locally and I can see why. Although Italian is not actually my own favourite cuisine, there was plenty to choose from on the menu and I was not disappointed. My wife and I were with a small party of friends and all seemed very satisfied. The food was beautifully cooked and nicely presented. The staff were friendly and attentive and the large conservatory that serves as the dining area was spacious and spotlessly clean. Overall a very pleasant experience.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Alasdair G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hamilton
Holiday Inn Express Hamilton
BEST WESTERN Motherwell Centre Moorings Hotel
Radstone Hotel
Radstone Hotel
#1 of 1 in Larkhall

Been to Avonbridge Hotel? Share your experiences!