“Restaurant”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Hamilton
South Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
“Restaurant”
Reviewed June 8, 2012

My family go to the Avonbridge Hotel restaurant several times a year it's great for anniversaries, birthdays or just Sunday lunch or nice romantic meal. The food is always excellent and the staff are so helpful, pleasant and make your dining special

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
London
Reviewed May 15, 2012

I was very pleasantly surprised by this hotel. I had been a little anxious that it would be a bit of a party place with little attention to the actual rooms. However our room in the Priory block was lovely. The room was up a grand sweeping staircase, not out of keeping in a bridal magazine and the room itself had fantastic high ceilings and a sense of grandeur. The bathroom was nice and had bathrobes hanging on the door, nice touch. The beds were really comfortable and the linen was of a high grade. There were plenty of functions going on at the hotel and my husband enjoyed going down to the bars. I stayed in with our 2 yr old and ordered room service, which came very quickly, was reasonably priced and quite tasty.
There was noise from the wedding and bars but I was expecting that and the double glazing worked well to keep the sound down. I was disapointed to find that the curtains were not well lined and we were woken by light in the morning; this is something I find very irritating in establishments as it does not cost much to line curtains with blackout material.
At breakfast the staff were very nice and the food was good. Our waitress went out of her way to help me with my daughter and let me take her into the bar to watch Ceebies until it was time to leave and this was very much appriciated.
All in all very good value for money, a place with a bit of life but also comfort and good service.

Room Tip: I very much liked ours on the 2nd floor of the Priory block
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne
Reviewed May 10, 2012

We had a ground floor room that still sweltered after turning the heating off completely. The bathroom smelled of stale urine and the whole place is very tired around the edges. Breakfast was also ordinary.

On the bright side, it is convenient to the town centre and the flat screen tv provides a welcome distraction from the otherwise basic accommodation.

As others have mentioned, getting the remote control at check in is a bit disconcerting.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
scotland
Reviewed April 30, 2012

Had lunch at the Avonbridge recently. Had read all the very good reviews so was a little disappointed in the food. We had the Set Lunch, the food arrived very fast - so fast that it couldn't have been cooked in the time. The service was so fast that it felt a bit rushed and a little gap between courses would have been good.

The meatballs were a bit bland, a bit dry, ok, but not special. Thee mushrooms en croute - they were well cooked and the dishes were presented nicely but they both lacked seasoning and flavour. The mushrooms were in a pepper sauce but no real flavour of the pepper at all.

Main course lasagne was similar, decent sized portion but bland. Everything we had was fine but just lacked a bit of taste, a bit of garlic, a bit of pepper, a bit more intensity from the sauces.

The restaurant was fairly busy, and service was very fast but got a bit tedious when you were asked for the third time if you wanted a drink, but you didn't even have a wine list, or three different serving staff came to check if you were ready to order, or came to take an order which had already been taking. A lot of wasted effort from the staff.

We enjoyed our visit but didn't find the food as good as other reviewers. Price wise it was fine and the setting was nice.

Torrevieja, Comunidad Valenciana, Spain
Reviewed April 24, 2012

i was there 3 weeks ago te best hotel i have been from long time good food lovely bedroom and the bar Milano very busy the best to meet friends

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Wishaw, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2012

I have been going to eat here for a number of years with the guys from work but had not been for several months. I had a family Easter Sunday dinner there yesterday. The food was, as always, supberb. Nothing seems to be a problem to these people. The table was booked for 4.30 and as usual it was ready and available. The place was understandibly very busy but the attention from staff was brill.We reviewed the available Easter Sunday menus which they had advertised and the family were quite happy but me, being the fussiest eater on the planet asked for the A La Carte. I was told that this was not available until 5.00 as advertised but would go and check. He returned within 30 seconds with Al La Carte menu and said no problem, no jobsworth people in this place. I got my usual fillet steak, which is only19.50, melts in your mouth and asked for a red wine jus which is not on the menu. They have various sauces available but I have already stated how fussy I am. This again was not a problem. We had a great meal and even although it was very busy the attention and service from staff was the best. I have not stayed in the hotel so I cannot review that but I would recommend this restuarant 100%

Service- Amazing
Food-Perfection
Atmosphere-Relaxing
Value for money-Unbelievable

Morecambe, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2012

Dining at the Avonbridge is always a special occasion, one of the reasons why this family run concern remains hugely popular.
Indeed, when the three of us turned up unannounced for lunch the chances of being able to find a seat, let alone a table, looked fairly slim.
The place was heaving - and this was the Sunday before Mothering Sunday! Why on earth hadn't we booked?
But all was not lost. An attentive greeter went into a huddle with a colleague and returned to say we were welcome to have a table, on the understanding it would be required by 3pm. This was 1pm...we grabbed it!
The setting for the meal was the hotel's delightful conservatory - elegantly furnished, the tables carefully arranged to avoid a sense of overcrowding. On this particular day there were wedding anniversaries, birthdays and christenings...and the three of us!
The service, as ever, was spot on and the presentation and quality of food delivered to our table top notch. All helped down by a bottle of surprisingly good house merlot.
We were well through the meal with still 30 minutes remaining before the next party moved in.
The Avonbridge manages to capture the style and grace associated with memories of fine hotels from yesteryear - I just wish we could transport it brick by brick to Morecambe!
The Martalo family can be justifiably proud of their achievements. First class!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank morecambebay_10
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hamilton
Holiday Inn Express Hamilton
The Alona Hotel
The Alona Hotel
#5 of 9 in Motherwell
Innkeepers Lodge Glasgow, Strathclyde Park

Been to Avonbridge Hotel? Share your experiences!