“Not as good as it was and underhand techniques when the bill comes”
Review of Bombay Cottage

Bombay Cottage
Ranked #7 of 120 Restaurants in Hamilton
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed December 22, 2012

I attended this restaurant as part of a group of 22 (works Christmas Lunch).

Firstly the price is inflated from the start of December by a few pounds, bot don't worry that's for the cracker they leave on the table but quickly remove a few minutes into the meal.

Firstly and to put some balance to the review, the food was absolutely fine and no one in the party had a complaint, the food I would definitely recommend.

BUT the biggest gripe is the service, this starts with constantly being asked what drinks we are wanting to order, a few minutes would be great to allow the group to arrive and settle in. Then offer of complimentary poppadoms and spiced onions which where not complimentary but added to the bill at the end, this also goes for the 6 Nan bread we where presented with (roughly an extra £5 per person somehow).

Whilst £5 a head for extras isn't the end of the world it certainly leaves a sour taste. No mentions of the extras was made at anytime prior to the bill arriving, I would have thought increasing the prices by a fair amount would have easily covered 6 nans and 2 poppadoms each. When one of the party queried this at the end of the meal when the bill arrived we where basically told they are not included and we where told this (no one can remember this funnily enough)

Having read other reviews in relation to service I can say I totally agree, and this is not from this visit but from numerous previous visits, some members of staff are quite frankly rude and only smile when you leave the place. this I could just about accept for the relatively good food and relatively good value lunch menu, but when I take into account the underhand techniques to fleece a party of over 20 for a bit of extra money I just feel perhaps its time to dine elsewhere, a shame really but you reap what you sow.

Hopefully the management read these reviews and can reply to some of the comments.

3  Thank Kodi2010

Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

Had Christmas lunch from there it was really good reccomend the chasni and Rogan gosh. Good value and plenty to go round 9 of us would go back anytime

Reviewed December 16, 2012

I have eaten here 3 times this year .The first time was fab and the food great.The last twice the older staff members have been downright rude.It was as if they were doing us a favour by letting us eat there.The younger female waitresses were obviously under pressure and had I known about the tipping regime I would not have left the tip that I did.
I wont be back.

1  Thank Fraser W
Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

I have eaten here several times, and every time the food has been lovely, and its always great value for money. I visited them this week for a Christmas lunch (3 courses for £11 - great value) and the waitress serving us was lovely and polite, making sure we had whatever we required.
When asking the waitress if she would receive the tip we left, or if it would be split between all the waiters/waitresses, she advised us that she wouldn't receive any of the tip we left, that all tips are put in a jar and sent back to India, and that there are cameras in the establishment to prevent the staff accepting tips from customers. Now I was slightly outraged at this. On all previous visits I have left a good tip (in my opinion) as I feel good service deserves a tip. If I leave money for that purpose, it should be used for that purpose and that purpose alone. If the establishment is raising funds for a charity back in India, then that's fine, ask customers of they want to donate, but DO NOT take the money left by satisfied customers to reward the helpfull staff.

5  Thank Laura F
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Has been a favourite for as long as I can remember. Great food, good presentation, good building.

I have lived in London for many years now, but I always go to the Bombat cottage when in Hamilton.