“This is 1 fine establishment”
Review of Dormie House

Dormie House
Ranked #3 of 17 Prestwick B&B and Inns
Denver, CO
“This is 1 fine establishment”
Reviewed August 23, 2010

A wonderful experience for my first time in Scotland. The Dornie house is the way to go if you are in need of a great, comfortable and roomy place to stay. Thank you Peter.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed August 2, 2010

Our host was fantastic, the rooms were unlike any B&B i have ever stayed in. The breakfast selection was excellent. Peter was full of information and drove us to dinner two of the nights we were there in Prestwick. If your in need of a B&B on the west coast of Scotland in Aryshire, I suggest the Dormie House.
Regards
casey peth
colorado, united states
pro scotland tourist

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed July 13, 2010

We stayed at the dormie house on our way back from the scottish highlands with 3 young kids. We had done alot of travelling that day and the kids were exhausted. We just needed somewhere reasonably close to the airport and to be honest, weren't expecting to stay at such a professional and well run establishment. Peter met us at the door and escorted us to our extremely comfortable and well appointed rooms. We had an early start, up at 5.45am and altho we weren't expecting a breakfast at that time in the morning, our host had been up and cooking and waiting for us with a hot breakfast. Not only that, he actually ran us to the airport and helped us with our bags. Service with a smile and definitly made me want to visit The Dormie House again (thins time without the kids!) I would highly reccommend it to anyone, but especially to those travelling looking for a comfortable stay.Spot on, 5* quality and hospitality.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed June 26, 2010

After traveling around Scotland and playing golf for three weeks, I reached this area for a six night stay. The area offers access to many very good golf courses and this B&B is conveniently located for access to courses such as Turnberry (35 minutes away), Royal Troon (very close), Prestwick (also very close) and Western Gailes (about ten minutes away).

Peter provided excellent information prior to my arrival, which was very helpful in planning my trip. My stay with him could not have been better. The house is modern and away from street noise, so it is quiet. My room was spacious and the bed comfortable. Had tub and shower in bathroom. Morning breakfast was excellent and had a range of menu options. There was a muiti-channel TV with Sky sports so the U.S. Open golf tournament was available for viewing on the night of my arrival. The facility had good literature regarding golf and other tourist activities in the area. Free wi-fi was very good.

The location is such that I would consider this area as part of a combination Ireland/Scotland golf trip, with ferry from Belfast or near Belfast to Troon. The abundance of courses in the area makes it especially attractive. The courses seem generally available and the area seems relaxed and uncrowded with golfers (at least the week i was there).

I'd return to the area for more golf and would definitely contact Dormie House for lodging. In fact, I would probably consider the availability of Dormie House in setting up my itinerary in the first place.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 19, 2010

We stayed here in late May on the basis of the Trip Advsor Reviews. And we are glad we did. Peter and Marilyn made us very welcome and could not do enough to make our stay pleasant.
We were shown to our room on the first floor which was very spacious and clean. The furniture was great - and teh bathroom, whilst small, was very good.
We were provided with some great suggestion where to have dinner and they were great. Breakfast was very good - plenty on offer and they couldnt do enough for us.
Peter gave us some good hints for our journey onwards and checkout was a breeze.
I would very much recommend this a great place to stay and hope to be back one day.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 17, 2010

My hubby had a business trip to Ayrshire and I decided to go along for the ride and I am so glad I did! We are pretty hard to please when it comes to quality of accommodation and because it was on the Company's tab, the budget was limited. No four star hotel nearby came in under the £100 I had to play with, so this is how we ended up in the Dormie House, a 4* B&B, a couple of miles from Ayr at £85 per night.
I'm not usually keen on staying in B&B. I don't like the feeling that you are intruding in other people's houses and I was nervous about the 'set up'. I needn't have worried!
The guest seem to have their own 'wing'.
Even tho' we arrived late (from a family event which over-ran) Peter was waiting for us with a friendly welcome at 11.30pm. We were both tired and he got the balance of not being too much 'in your face' whilst still being very attentive, informative and helpful.
The accommodation itself was simply fabulous. A lovely ground floor 'master' bedroom, which could be set up as a twin or a large king size. Very spacious and with a large, fully equipped and spotless en-suite. There was everything you could ever need in terms of toiletries and also spare blankets/a heater and all the usual but essential bits and bobs you'd usually find in a top class hotel. Their book selection was a lovely addition and there was something for everyone. I was particularly drawn by one entitled 'Things you didn't know about Scotland'.
Another bonus here was the beautiful lounge - for guests only and we were the only ones - with bar, fridge (containing fresh milk for your cuppa) computer and large TV.
It looked sooo inviting. We just didn't have the time to make full use of it, which was a shame).
Breakfast in the morning was faultless - great choice for a small B&B. Between us we sampled porrage, fresh undyed haddock with poached eggs and a great Scottish breakfast, which was all exceptional quality. It came with fresh rolls and a Herald newspaper - which made it just about perfect in hubby's eyes!
Peter and Marilyn have got this place running like a charm as they cater with apparent tolerance and good humor to even the most forgetful of guests! They have managed to convert me from the faceless large hotels with their hospitality and attention to detail.
The Dormie House really is 'something I didn't know about Scotland' and I am really glad I do now! I can't wait for hubby's next business trip 'down south'

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Scottish Highlands
Reviewed November 16, 2009

My wife and self arrived somewhat tired just after midnight to a warm welcome from Peter. No fuss, but every care and attention had been taken for us to settle in quickly. Early breakfast at 7.30 offered an excellant range from both the cold and cooked menus. We liked the whole feel of the place and the beds are really good if you have a niggling back.
Thanks Peter for your help with the cases to the bus stop. Bob and Shelagh.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KT66
Also consider these accommodations in or near Prestwick
Carlton Hotel Prestwick
Piersland House Hotel
Savoy Park Hotel
Savoy Park Hotel
#1 of 17 in Ayr

Been to Dormie House? Share your experiences!